Suggetions from Civitavecchia and Livorno - not Rome or Florence

Since we have been to Rome and Florence many times - have decided to do other things from both of the ports and was hoping that others would share what they did - we can do a rental car - could do a train - but last time they were on strike so thought maybe we would do a rental car out of Livorno - maybe to Lucca? Have no ideas out of Civitavecchia

We like sightseeing but also shopping

Help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks as always

Here is our itinerary when we dock in Civitavecchia, as we also decided not to go to Rome. Maybe it might be of some interest to you.

We are going to Tuscania, Civita di Bagnoregio & Orvieto. We are taking a private tour with Rome-in-Limo, but if one is comfortable with driving in Italy, the roads to these towns seem somewhat straightforward.

Tuscania:

http://www.romeartlover.it/Tuscania.html

Civita di Bagnoregio (This town is very unique):

http://www.romeartlover.it/Bagnoregio.html

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/civitabd.htm

Orvieto:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orvieto

Stay well,

Anthony

When we docked in Livorno, we took a cab from the cruise pier to the Livorno train station, then took the train to Lucca, which we found delightful. Since we had never been to Pisa before, we stopped in Pisa to see the tower on our way back to Livorno. Seeing both cities in the same day is definitely doable and makes for an enjoyable day.

If you decide to take the train, I suggest using the Rick Steves Italy guide book for logistics on the getting to and from the train stations in Lucca and Pisa.

Lucca is great and an easy train/car ride. If you have a car, you can then head north of Lucca to some of Italy's best scenery which is seldom visited by foreigners. Lovely and uncrowded. If that does not appeal, then Chianti and.or Siena.

San Gimignano is special, but is overrun with day tourists. A great place to spend an evening after the buses leave. :)

For the non-Rome stop <grin>, I second the suggestion for Tuscania

Since we have been to Rome and Florence many times - have decided to do other things from both of the ports and was hoping that others would share what they did - we can do a rental car - could do a train - but last time they were on strike so thought maybe we would do a rental car out of Livorno - maybe to Lucca? Have no ideas out of Civitavecchia

We like sightseeing but also shopping

Help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks as always

If not Rome a trip to Castel Gandolfo where the Pope`s summer home is . A nice town to enjoy above a beautiful lake and I am sure with a bit of investigation you will find a great place for luncheon. :)

If not Florence it has to be Lucca a 500 year ago world behind the walls of this town. I love it and return whenever in Livorno which is also quite nice for a walk around and a coffee. :)

Two good trips :) :)

Having been to Florence before, we arranged a wonderful day from Livorno with Dock and Discover http://www.dockdiscover.com/

We drove through Tuscany to a Renaissance Castle, and after touring the castle and the bedroom where three Medici Popes slept, we had an amazing Italian cooking lesson and then ate our own food in the marvelous dining room!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

I thoroughly recommend it!

Have a GREAT cruise!

What time of year exactly?...how long in each port?

Civetavecchia - Cerveteri and/or Tarquinia for the ancient Etruscans...Ancient Ostia...Orvieto/Bagnoreggio possible, but better to arrange a private driver to make sure your back to the ship on time (However - Livorno is about a 3 hour drive up from Civetavecchia...good to know just in case!!!!)

Livorno ;

Lucca - nice place to wander around, more crowded with tourists in the morning (from cruise tour excursions) without specific expectations (rent a bike and go around the Renaissance wall of the city...) window shop...Pisa is the Piazza dei Miracoli (if one goes by train/bus or rental car, visiting both will work out well, I would suggest Lucca last in order, more enjoyable to wander - even people from Pisa do so!)

Cinqueterre - very crowded in the spring/summer - delightful, but full!

Siena/San Gimignano...can be done (there's also Monteriggioni or San Galgano with the roofless gothic abbacy and a sword in a stone (authentic!)...

Head south from Livorno, but keeping to the Province of Livorno...Several water parks, great beaches...Bolgheri for some wine tasting...

Inland there is also Volterra - Etruscan/Roman sites, and is a pleasant tipical medieval flavour town, alabaster is a specialty....

Up the coast...Viareggio/Forte dei Marmi...beaches, 'Forte' in particular is expensive (on purpose to keep it somewhat elite, but times have changed)...Pietrasanta, the center for bronze casting and the beginning of the 'marble works' zone...Carrara...with a driver or a rental car one can go up into the white marble mountains....La Spezia (commercial port/naval accademy - but on to Porto Venere - a jewel of a town, crowded in the summe, but somewhat similar to the Cinqueterre...

Hint - also look into areas by province...Rome/Lazio/Terni...Livorno, Siena/Florence/Pisa/Lucca/Massa-Carrara/La Spezia...however not all roads to and from are major highways...

Having been to Florence before, we arranged a wonderful day from Livorno with Dock and Discover http://www.dockdiscover.com/

We drove through Tuscany to a Renaissance Castle, and after touring the castle and the bedroom where three Medici Popes slept, we had an amazing Italian cooking lesson and then ate our own food in the marvelous dining room!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

I thoroughly recommend it!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi Mike:

Enjoyed reading your review--sounds like a great trip. I tried the website that you named for your excursion in Livorno, but all it showed were excursions out of Civitavecchia. I did Florence on my last trip and had enough, def. want to venture further afield next time and your experience sounded great! Can you give me an idea of the price?

BTW I lived in Mer-dead for 20+ years, before moving to beautiful Wydahoming 4 years ago. Neither you nor your wife look familiar--where do you teach?

Cathy (Paskin)

Thank you so much for ALL your suggestions, looking at all of them - please know that I so appreciate your taking your time to help!

We are traveling the first of September and have the usual 7AM-7PM in each port.

The beginning of Sept. is still high season, but some crowd volume will go down...It usually isn't as boiling hot as during July or August, something people often forget to take in consideration when planning (right at this moment, in Lucca, it's about 85° F and humidity is 48% - but there is a breeze), and simply plan to do too much. Keep in mind that any beach areas (Cinqueterre etc...) will be still crowded on weekends AND the roads too and from will be busy. Remember that museums and archaeological sites are closed on Mondays and on Sundays, public transportation may have a more limited schedule. There are no major natonal holidays during the 1st 2 weeks of Sept, but for example, Lucca has a local one (practically all month, but the major day is Sept 14th)...

Archived