Disappointment on the Pride

Cruising Rules

My wife and I just returned yesterday from you 7 day cruise on the Carnival Pride. I am a Platinum member of Carnival and we are normally very pleased with the product. We have sailed this same itinerary on the Pride previously and both times were very satisfied. However while most of the this trip met our expectations we were very surprised to find some weakness in the Normandie Dining room. We were surprisingly disappointed in the service, the variety of items offered and most surprisingly the quality of the food itself. Our server was at times awkward, discourteous and we were never made to feel welcome. Her assistant was very good and would have made a better server. It also seems like the choices have been reduced and worst of all, less then average preparation. Our table mates felt very much the same way. Anyone else noticing any of these issues?

My wife and I just returned yesterday from you 7 day cruise on the Carnival Pride. I am a Platinum member of Carnival and we are normally very pleased with the product. We have sailed this same itinerary on the Pride previously and both times were very satisfied. However while most of the this trip met our expectations we were very surprised to find some weakness in the Normandie Dining room. We were surprisingly disappointed in the service, the variety of items offered and most surprisingly the quality of the food itself. Our server was at times awkward, discourteous and we were never made to feel welcome. Her assistant was very good and would have made a better server. It also seems like the choices have been reduced and worst of all, less then average preparation. Our table mates felt very much the same way. Anyone else noticing any of these issues?

That's too bad:(

I hope you expressed how you felt on the comment card.........

We did just notice the same thing on the Liberty, although not quite that bad. Our food was good, but there were less selections and our servers seemed to have way more tables than they normally would. Our head waiter was pleasant enough but barely had time to take our order and deliver the food. The assistant was great and spent a little more time with us, but you could tell they were just barely keeping afloat. The tables around us with different servers seemed to be worse off than we were - they were just getting entrees by the time we finished dessert most nights. Our assistant even apologized one night for the slow service saying that the galley was just backed up. We think it might have to do with the switch on the Liberty to only two dining times instead of four - although that wouldn't apply on the Pride.

We also noticed a lot fewer drink waiters on Lido and in the show lounge - several times we never got drink service at all during a show and the past guest & captain's parties were about the same. We made sure to note on our comment cards that the staff cuts were showing and cutting into the wonderful service we've always had in the past.

We actually had a fantastic cruise with a wonderful group of CC members and there were also plenty of instances we had great service - but we could tell the difference from past cruises. Everyone was trying - it just seemed that they had way more to do than in the past and had trouble keeping up.

I am hoping it was just an isolated thing and not a trend for the future.

I went on the same cruise. Did you have main dining or late?

Hi .. yes we had late dining at table 169. Did you notice a difference in the variety of food and the quality? For example we used to tell others how great the soups were on Carnival. The soups with some exceptions, we just ok or even poor. Desserts in fact seemed to have also fewer choices and if it were not for the "melting cake" some nights we would been better off skipping desserts. The main courses for the most part (again with some exceptions) just ok. Thanks for your response.

Hi .. yes we had late dining at table 169. Did you notice a difference in the variety of food and the quality? For example we used to tell others how great the soups were on Carnival. The soups with some exceptions, we just ok or even poor. Desserts in fact seemed to have also fewer choices and if it were not for the "melting cake" some nights we would been better off skipping desserts. The main courses for the most part (again with some exceptions) just ok. Thanks for your response.

We had main dining at table 161. The food choices were okay.. No, they were not of different variety. As for quality, that's a whole different ballgame. It was satisfactory for me, but I know those whom have been on various cruises may find something antagonizing about the food quality. I liked some of the desserts, but most of them were given to Lido the day/night after so we could eat it again. Who did you go with?

We did just notice the same thing on the Liberty, although not quite that bad. Our food was good, but there were less selections and our servers seemed to have way more tables than they normally would. Our head waiter was pleasant enough but barely had time to take our order and deliver the food. The assistant was great and spent a little more time with us, but you could tell they were just barely keeping afloat. The tables around us with different servers seemed to be worse off than we were - they were just getting entrees by the time we finished dessert most nights. Our assistant even apologized one night for the slow service saying that the galley was just backed up. We think it might have to do with the switch on the Liberty to only two dining times instead of four - although that wouldn't apply on the Pride.

Unfortunately I had the same experience on Liberty back in Feb. as you did. My wait team was not very good. They were both nice enough but things were slow and their memory not all that great.

The food was so so.

I hope thing improve next month on Legend.

We were on the Pride in June and aside from missing Cabo due to a tropical storm, we thought it was great. We actually were quite pleased with the food as well. We didn't think Disney's food was much better actually and our server and the hostess were fabulous! So sorry to hear it didn't go well for you.

I also felt the dining room service was lacking on the Pride last November. Seeing as we only had one other cruise in 2004/Princess to compare it with we didn't know what to expect. The assistant waiter was much more friendly and helpful than the head waiter. There were nights (late dining) when our waiter had not even taken our order when others had their appetizers. One night they didn't even get our dessert order taken until 10:30. They didn't even have any drawn butter on lobster night. We were told there wasn't any. Then discovered early dining had it. That was a bummer for me, what's lobster without drawn butter.

We also noticed a lot fewer drink waiters on Lido and in the show lounge - several times we never got drink service at all during a show and the past guest & captain's parties were about the same. We made sure to note on our comment cards that the staff cuts were showing and cutting into the wonderful service we've always had in the past.

We actually had a fantastic cruise with a wonderful group of CC members and there were also plenty of instances we had great service - but we could tell the difference from past cruises. Everyone was trying - it just seemed that they had way more to do than in the past and had trouble keeping up.

I have noticed this on my last couple cruises and mentioned it on our comment cards. The servers are running back and forth, sweating profusely.

YUCK, not pleasant when eating.

I have been cruising CCL for 10 years so I've noticed quite a difference from when we first started cruising with them.

They used to have time to chat for a few minutes at least, maybe show you a picture of their family, etc.

You're now lucky if you have time to tell the server your order.:(

Bill

I was on the Pride the week before you were. While I thought the food was fine, the servers were burnt out. We liked our server and his assistant a lot, but they not only had these poor guys up at 5;00 a.m. one day to clean the carpets in the Normandie, but had them up to 12:00 midnight that evening for the ice sculpture and buffet. While I have worked my share of long days, that is just a little over the top and I think their work performance deteriorated. Perhaps the chef's are in the same boat (excuse the pun).

I was on the Pride the week before you were. While I thought the food was fine, the servers were burnt out. We liked our server and his assistant a lot, but they not only had these poor guys up at 5;00 a.m. one day to clean the carpets in the Normandie, but had them up to 12:00 midnight that evening for the ice sculpture and buffet. While I have worked my share of long days, that is just a little over the top and I think their work performance deteriorated. Perhaps the chef's are in the same boat (excuse the pun).

Our family was on the Pride the week of July 20-26. Our service in the dining room was good (early seating) but our service in the room was just so so. When we've been on cruises before, the room steward has called us by name. This steward was extremely kind, always polite and pleasant, but in a hurry and didn't seem to make us feel "special". My husband commented that maybe we have been on so many cruises now that nothing surprises us anymore.

Our soups were cold and hot, the way they were described on the menu and all entrees and desserts tasted good. However, our server did seem to be hopping more than on past cruises. He apologized that he never had time to chat. We didn't even learn his name. Last year on the Glory our kids knew the servers' names and couldn't wait to see them on the Lido deck or in the Dining room at lunch.

One server at breakfast was a bit rude to our family. When we asked for more than one egg dish, he refused. He just wasn't pleasant. We were a bit surprised by that. Fortunately, he was the exception and not the norm.

One server at breakfast was a bit rude to our family. When we asked for more than one egg dish, he refused. He just wasn't pleasant. We were a bit surprised by that. Fortunately, he was the exception and not the norm.

OMG you and I must have had the same waiter for breakfast on that ship!

One morning during open seating on a port day after the orders were taken I decided I wanted orange juice. When the waiter returned I asked for some and in a negative tone he replied "you did not ask for orange juice while I was taking orders."

Man if I had not been at a table full of ladies.......

That wasn't the first time. It happened on HAL too. I asked for French dressing and the waiter let out a loud sigh and made a big scene about having to go alllllllllllllllllllll the way down to the kitchen to get me some. (his words)

This is the same waiter who got a full cash tip on the last night of the cruise even though he ignored me and the rest of the table because we didn't tip him up front instead of at the end of dinner.

Sometimes I get jealous when I look around at other tables and see the wait team laughing and having fun with those passengers and I get stuck with the team that is slow and going through the motions..

I have noticed this on my last couple cruises and mentioned it on our comment cards. The servers are running back and forth, sweating profusely.

YUCK, not pleasant when eating.

They used to have time to chat for a few minutes at least, maybe show you a picture of their family, etc.

You're now lucky if you have time to tell the server your order.:(

Bill

But they still have to sing and dance?!?!?!:confused:

OMG you and I must have had the same waiter for breakfast on that ship!

One morning during open seating on a port day after the orders were taken I decided I wanted orange juice. When the waiter returned I asked for some and in a negative tone he replied "you did not ask for orange juice while I was taking orders."

Man if I had not been at a table full of ladies.......

That wasn't the first time. It happened on HAL too. I asked for French dressing and the waiter let out a loud sigh and made a big scene about having to go alllllllllllllllllllll the way down to the kitchen to get me some. (his words)

This is the same waiter who got a full cash tip on the last night of the cruise even though he ignored me and the rest of the table because we didn't tip him up front instead of at the end of dinner.

Sometimes I get jealous when I look around at other tables and see the wait team laughing and having fun with those passengers and I get stuck with the team that is slow and going through the motions..

I guess it's so surprising to have someone who is rude because I am impressed with the effort that Carnival makes to have their employees be friendly. Whether it's the mechanic, room steward, server, whatever they always speak IN ENGLISH when they meet us with a cheerful "Hello" or "Good Morning". We went on Holland America years ago and the staff wasn't friendly at all. So I guess I'm really shocked to have a waiter be rude since they are so visible. I saw this same person at lunch that day and his mood did not appear to have improved. Thank goodness we were at a different table. In their defense, they do work a tremendous number of hours, but somehow most of them manage to be friendly.

My husband and I noticed a decrease in unkeep of the Pride ship a few weeks ago. We were sitting in the atrium one evening and he looked up and noticed all the lightbulbs that simply needed to be replaced. We had a wonderful cruise and would recommend Carnival highly, but we used to see people cleaning the ship constantly and hardly saw anyone doing general cleaning or maintenance of the ship itself.

OK gang, this is NOT what I want to hear when we have our Pricde cruise coming up in Oct.:eek: Maybe the staff was nearing the end of their contract, so they were "done" working. One could only hope not.

I know that most Pride reviews have been favorable, so I'm hoping that this was more of a hiccup then the "norm".

OK gang, this is NOT what I want to hear when we have our Pricde cruise coming up in Oct.:eek: Maybe the staff was nearing the end of their contract, so they were "done" working. One could only hope not.

I know that most Pride reviews have been favorable, so I'm hoping that this was more of a hiccup then the "norm".

You will have a wonderful time!!! I would go back tomorrow. I was just mentioning things that I noticed that are different than before. Our waiter only had 2 more sailings until the end of his contract and he was great. He didn't learn our names like some have on past cruises, but he was attentive, smiling and got along well with his assistant. We had tablemates that were either very late or no shows and he was gracious.

The Pride is a beautiful ship (probably my favorite of the 4 Carnival ships I've been on) and it wasn't dirty or anything like that. The things I pointed out were not the norm, but having cruised on several lines and lastly always on Carnival, just things our family noticed.

Have a super cruise!! Like I said, I would go again tomorrow.

I'm sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately this economic slowdown (none dare call it a RECESSION :rolleyes: ) has affected many businesses and the service they provide, including mine. Haven't cruised in over a year and last time I was on the PRIDE was over 2 years ago. At that time I thought the service was excellent.

If they would cut out the crazy, all out of context for an alleged "FIVE START DINING EXPERIENCE", dancing that the waiters are forced to do like a pack of trained monkeys, maybe they could catch up on their rest a little quicker. :)

I'm sorry to hear this.

If they would cut out the crazy, all out of context for an alleged "FIVE START DINING EXPERIENCE", dancing that the waiters are forced to do like a pack of trained monkeys, maybe they could catch up on their rest a little quicker. :)

I agree. When I asked what the "doorbell" sound was for at dinner, our waiter told us that it tells them that the dessert line is closed and DO NOT try to come down to pick up desserts because the performance is about to begin. The final song would be plenty for me. They sing it on every Carnival cruise "I'm leaving on a jet plane" tune. That being said, when I first started cruising in 1985, the evening meals were "themed" French night, Italian night, etc. and the waiters had to dress accordingly and then did a little show each night. Thank goodness we've gotten away from THAT!

The wait staff, cabin stewards and all crew members work their tails off on most of the lines with very little sleep in cramped accomodations. Our observances on this thread have been just that, observances. Changes from the norm we've been seeing.

I wish they would take some of the pressure off of those comment cards we turn in and practically scold us for thinking of putting anything less than "exceeds my expectations" as a choice. What real sense of what is happening does that give them?? Our cruise director told us the forms were "old" and that was the rating scale we HAD to work with. Why not update the scale with room for more accurate feedback? I also hate the way they do the tips now but that's another story. For the first time ever, we adjusted our tips. I'm sure to get some flaming on that.

Sorry things didn't turn our well for you and your wife. I sailed on the Carnival Pride (my first cruise) a few months ago, and although I loved just about everything about the cruise as a whole, I found that the food was mostly mediocre at best. We only ate at the Normandie twice (Formal Night and one other night). I always though cruise ships served very good food, but I realized that's not always the case. Our waiters in the Normandie were very good and very nice, and we ended up tipping them extra because of their fine service and genuine friendliness.

Sorry things didn't turn out well for you and your wife. I sailed on the Carnival Pride (my first cruise) a few months ago, and although I loved just about everything about the cruise as a whole, I found that the food was mostly mediocre at best. We only ate at the Normandie twice (Formal Night and one other night). I always thought cruise ships served good food, but I realized that's not always the case. Our waiters in the Normandie were very good and very nice, and we ended up tipping them extra because of their fine service and genuine friendliness. The only food aboard, that I thought was satisfying, was the Lido Deck's deli, pizza & omelette stations; the rest was so-so.

Sorry things didn't turn out well for you and your wife. I sailed on the Carnival Pride (my first cruise) a few months ago, and although I loved just about everything about the cruise as a whole, I found that the food was mostly mediocre at best. We only ate at the Normandie twice (Formal Night and one other night). I always thought cruise ships served good food, but I realized that's not always the case. Our waiters in the Normandie were very good and very nice, and we ended up tipping them extra because of their fine service and genuine friendliness. The only food aboard, that I thought was satisfying, was the Lido Deck's deli, pizza & omelette stations; the rest was so-so.

Yikes - I can accept less than happy service if the food is good. I'm fearful that the new menu isn't up to the old. We'll be on the Glory in October and I've been bragging to friends about the delicious food we've received in the past. Now I see things like Talipia, which use to be served on a bed of spiced mashed potatoes and a wonderful sauce now being provided with carrots and mac & cheese! Please don't tell me that this is indicative of a new drawn down Carnival! - Gack! :(

Our dining room service on the Valor this spring was rushed and inattentive. But I chalk it up to the vast increase of cruise ships today and the equally vast increase in the passenger capacity on each ship. Many on the board do or have owned their own business and I think they'd all agree that hiring and training GOOD employees is one of the toughest parts of any business. Today there are servers from all over the globe. Is that planned diversity or dried up labor pools in some areas? Whatever, it creates even more language/training problems. Which leads to less qualified supervisors, which leads to more gaps in service levels going uncorrected. Could be we are going thru a growing pain of the industry right now. My last 4 cruises, all on different lines, all had dining room service problems. And those problems all had to do with training and awareness of the overall situation. Empty coffee, empty water, no bread, no butter, and no notice by the waiters. Basics gone lacking. That's training, or the absence of it.

Dan

Archived