Seabourn Pride - Jan 3, 2009 Ft Lauderdale to Valparaiso, Chile

Seabourn-nail

Hello all!

Has somebody done this cruise?

If so, was it a nice one, worth doing? We have not sailed through the Canal yet, but have seen it from the locks. How is the next part of the cruise going south to Valparaiso?

I would appreciate your answer!

I notice you will be on this cruise Leslie; that would be fun (me being semi single, when René "retires to his quarters"!)

Have a nice day!

Marja

Hi Marja,

I would love to sail with you again, have you booked it yet? When I booked, there were only a few cabins left. Another dear friend I have cruised with several times will be onboard, but is continuing on for many more days than I can stay for.

I have not done this itinierary yet, but have done the canal from Costa Rica back to Ft Lauderdale. Well worth going through for the experience, as it is quite interesting. Many people onboard had come back many times - one gentleman was on his 17th trip through the canal!

I am looking forward to seeing new ports on the south. I good friend of mine is from Lima and is trying playing matchmaker with his best friend there, who is taking me on a culinary & sightseeing tour of both ports. So if I don't return to the ship, you know I fell in love and stayed in Lima! hee hee. Wishful thinking! :cool:

I would also love to hear from anyone that has done this trip before as to what sights to see, where to go, etc....

I did the reverse cruise Valparaiso - Miami on NCL (:eek:)

Best cruise ever in terms of itinerary and shore excurisions. The canal transit was interesting, albeit hot, but the South American ports in Peru and Chile were fascinating.

I'm sure GrannyLorr will chime in soon on her experiences but she seems to be MIA lately, - probably on another 200 day cruise in Iceland (via Cape Town) :D

Marja,

We did the cruise last January and had a superb informative time with interesting ports of call. The 'Pride' was really quite excellent with very good weather.

We did Machu Picchu and Easter Island as add ons and were also very good.

The Panama canal was really fascinating.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thank you all for your replies!

Long talk with my husband this morning. He hates the long (and expensive) flights. He said he would do them maybe once more, for the once in a lifetime long cruise. That is why we decided to do something completely different - don't laugh - Pride September 18 Dover - Dover! We can go by car - no flights this time (and Ferry or tunnel train). The price of the flights to Ft. Lauderdale and back from Valparaiso is nearly the same as this cruise is!

Marja

Thank you all for your replies!

Long talk with my husband this morning. He hates the long (and expensive) flights. He said he would do them maybe once more, for the once in a lifetime long cruise. That is why we decided to do something completely different - don't laugh - Pride September 18 Dover - Dover! We can go by car - no flights this time (and Ferry or tunnel train). The price of the flights to Ft. Lauderdale and back from Valparaiso is nearly the same as this cruise is!

Marja

We are judging our choices by flights as well Marja. It would be a different if the flights were enjoyable as they once were. BUT, to pay a fortune to fly in mediocre conditions at best...and then have the hassle of the air terminals...to say nothing of the delays...lost luggage..etc...hardly seems worth it. The motive of cruising is to enjoy. Have a great time on your Dover/Dover selection. Lola

Granny is still here Matt, but nothing much happening around here lately! Marja probably read all my ramblings about our cruise, so knows what we thought....my only suggestion would be NOT to get off in Valparaiso...stay on the whole voyage!! I have been "lurking" on the RCI board as we have booked a cruise with them...in and out of Sydney so only a one hour domestic flight to worry about.......and only a two week cruise.....should be ~interesting~.....some of the people in that forum scare me!! :eek: Starting to worry about what sort of fellow passengers we will be "living" with! :confused: I will be sure to write about it when we get back!! :D

Marazul, we are on a river cruise with an Australian company called Scenic.....they are quite new to the cruising stuff and Im getting a bit anxious! Not one report in CC yet.......have been around a long time though in land tours......so hope all will be OK....:rolleyes: we will be sailing from Amsterdam to Budapest.....our RCI cruise is from Sydney and going to Vanuatu and New Caledonia as well as some other Pacific Islands....

Granny,

I was just at my travel agent's office yesterday to pick up my trip documents and the woman representing Scenic Tours brought in the new travel brochure. I must admit I was really impressed by the brochure and so many balcony rooms! She mentioned it was originally an Aussie land tour company but they are expanding to the river cruise. The ship looks marvelous and as she said, "One will have much fun on one of their trips, because you know how much fun the Aussies are!" Now Granny, I can't wait to hear how the trip goes. Please keep us posted.

Archived