Tipping Independent / private tours

Alaska_or_bust

We have 3 fishing trips booked with independent charters. We have paid extra for all 3 trips to be private charters with just us. Now, are we still expected to tip the captain who also happens to be the owner of the boat? If so, how much? In a restaurant, I base the tip on how well the service is starting at 20% and going down. If that's the case, then we're looking at $120 tips per charter. We also have a tour booked with Classic Tours in Ketchikan which the company consists of one person and her car. We again are paying extra for just us to go, so do we tip or not? I understand the rise in fuel costs, but the money we are paying for the tour is going straight to the operator.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

I don't care who owns the tours, I always tip, since I have always gotten excellent service. I would consider $20pp+++ for the fishing, more if special prep work etc. $10-20 for Lois.

My opinion only.

I generally don't tip owners, but do tip employees. I figure that the owners have set the prices.

However, (and this is a big HOWEVER) relatives who work in the tourist industry in Alaska are reporting tips are way down from a happier year with better weather.

A nephew who is a full time helper to a well known fishing guide reports that one man tipped him $1 after an all day outing. Yes $1!

What and how much you tip is all up to you, but for Heaven's sake don't tip $1.

There is a general feeling of gloom in Alaska with the poor weather. I think visitors are picking up on this and some are having buyer's regret about spending so much on their trips, cruises and tours.

The people who wait tables at the hotels owned by the cruise companies are also reporting that tips are way down. Often a tip is a handful of small change! When the dining room managers ask the guests if there was a problem, the answer is usually 'no problem'. Most of the servers are college students who work hard and live in crowded conditions for the tourist season. They depend on their tip money to make a decent wage and are taxed as if they are getting the normal range of tips.

Please don't take out your disappointment in the weather or buyer's regret on the workers who are trying to please you.

Thanks for the info - I couldn't imagine tipping someone $1 unless it were at a restaurant were you spent less than $5 on the meal! I know the economy isn't the greatest, but I wanted to make sure about the tipping, so I wouldn't offend anybody. The fishing charter in Juneau is run by one person who does it all by himself, just like Classic Tours. The one in Ketchikan, is run by a husband and wife, and the one in Skagway, the captain/Owner has someone helping with reservations but she also works at one of the restaurants in town.

Archived