Forward or Aft?

cmalibu1

I just called the travle agent, and for the cruise we would like to go on, there are only forward or aft cabins available.

I do tend to get a little seasick but I was just curious to ask which people prefer (we are on the emerald princess) and why...

I agree.....have been on several ships both aft and forward in various areas and cabins. I would go for the aft cabin, why? much better to stay further back, you get a longer cruise.......;)

really, less motion.

I just called the travle agent, and for the cruise we would like to go on, there are only forward or aft cabins available.

I do tend to get a little seasick but I was just curious to ask which people prefer (we are on the emerald princess) and why...

As to "seasickness", I'm fairly certain that, despite what some people think, it makes no difference...The ship is rigid...When it rocks, it would pivot on it's centerpoint (at least as far as volume distribution goes)...The front of the ship would move exactly as far up or down as the back of the ship (the front moving up while the back moves down and vice-versa)...

The real difference front versus back is in the walking distance to restaurants, shows, etc.--Distance to aft, fore and midship elevators...Check your deck plans and see where you're walking...Also consider which dining rooms you will be eating in (Traditional or Anytime)...Know that you likely walk to a meal three times a day, to the showroom once...Then figure it out from there...

I don't care where on the ship I'm on...just get me on the ship...

As to "seasickness", I'm fairly certain that, despite what some people think, it makes no difference...The ship is rigid...When it rocks, it would pivot on it's centerpoint (at least as far as volume distribution goes)...The front of the ship would move exactly as far up or down as the back of the ship (the front moving up while the back moves down and vice-versa)...

except, that the pivot point is not the centerpoint.....in rough seas, the bow moves up and down more than the stern....even someone with a 14 ft aluminum boat can tell you that.

In heavy pitching seas, if forward, you will feel the jarring of "bow slap"

That is much more prevalent than the screws coming out of the water, which causes a lot of shaking in the stern. I was on a ship, the little Golden Odyssey, trying to outrun the back end of a typhoon in the China Sea. When the props come out of the water - it is no fun ride!

I prefer midships, but if I have to be far aft, or far forward, I would chose aft first.

We have been forward and aft, and we have found no difference . I do have to agree with the placement of the dining room and public areas, but with all of the food you will eat on the ship you may want to walk from one end of the ship to the other just for your waistline. Anywhere on the ship is better than on land . Enjoy your trip !!!:D

I think I will go with the aft, as there are only 2 slots for those available!!

I dont mind walking to dinner...I think its funny when people think they are too far from things...do you know how far you are from restaurants at home!? No because we all drive!..lol. So on my vacation..while I may come to regret this statement, I dont mind walking..

Helps me justify the buffet, and juice filled drinks!

I'm pretty danged sure that 12 foot aluminum boat has a great deal of its weight shifted to the rear...A 100,000+ gross ton cruise ship is weighted a little differently--it is intended to stay level--You don't walk uphill going aft to fore...And I don't think either end comes out of the water much...

Of course, I just booked one of the cabins furthest to the fore on the Caribe deck of the Sapphire Princess...So I'll get the chance to regret my decision if I'm wrong...I get seasick on little boats that bob and weave with the currents and tide...but I've NEVER had a problem on a large cruise ship...

BTW, I also had the farthest forward balcony on Deck 7 of the Vision of the Seas just a few months ago in March...no problem...

I'd always pick aft. You're closer to the food and forward can be windy. So much so that you may not be allowed to open your balcony at times. Not something I'll chance, altho my primary reason is to just be closer to the food. :)

I'd always pick aft. You're closer to the food and forward can be windy. So much so that you may not be allowed to open your balcony at times. Not something I'll chance, altho my primary reason is to just be closer to the food. :)

Thats what I was thinking!?

Aren't most of the activities and things to do (besides main dinning room in the back of the boat?!) I

Thats what I was thinking!?

Aren't most of the activities and things to do (besides main dinning room in the back of the boat?!) I

Most of the stuff I care about. The only thing in the front I go to a lot are the main theater. I can't remember if the Spa is in the front or back, but I seem to remember it being in the front. But I'm not a spa person so it's not a huge deal to me.

Archived