Tipping Questions

charleecrat

We were offered to pay for tips in advance at 10$ per person per day, or we can choose to pay later.

I don't want to sound like I am cheap but, it is my understanding that you also pay even more tips as you go each time you are serviced. So how much total does one tip?

Forgive my ignorance but I have never been on a cruise before. So I have heard, the peeps that work on these ships arent paid that much. I dont want to offend anyone:D

We always pre-pay our tips. That money will be divided up amongst those who service you (i.e., room steward, head waiter, assistant waiter, etc.). Your prepaid tips are enough for these people, all though by the end of the cruise you may W~A~N~T to give them a little extra more. :)

If you order room service, you should expect to tip the runner a dollar or two per person who is ordering. When you order a drink, gratuities are built in to the price you pay. On the last night, you will be given an envelope that you can use if you choose to tip the Maitre D.

Hope this helps!

We were offered to pay for tips in advance at 10$ per person per day, or we can choose to pay later.

I don't want to sound like I am cheap but, it is my understanding that you also pay even more tips as you go each time you are serviced. So how much total does one tip?

Forgive my ignorance but I have never been on a cruise before. So I have heard, the peeps that work on these ships arent paid that much. I dont want to offend anyone:D

The $10 per person per day is for all service....Wait staff in DR and Lido. It also covers your cabin steward and their assistant. So all tips that way are covered. They are added to your Sail and Sign card.

A 15% gratuity is added on top of drinks. That goes to the bar staff and waitstaff in the lounges and on the Lido deck. Beer, wine liquor and sodas.

So the only tip you would add is if you want to extend something extra to someone how has done something special or has given super service...;)

Although the $10 pp a day is supposed to cover everyone except the drink servers, Camp Carnival, room service & excursion people, we always end up tipping more to cabin stewards, dining room waiter & assistant and maybe a bar server or 2. You'll find that all of these people work really hard to make sure you have a wonderful cruise. Also, be sure to mention anyone by name who has made your cruise extra special on the comment card at the end of the cruise. That's how they get promoted or receive appreciation for a job well done.

Before we went on our first cruise we thought the $10 pp a day was plenty to tip. But, we've always added to that amount.

Anyway, hope you enjoy cruising and become cruise addicts like the rest of us on here :D

You aren't obligated to tip anyone more than the $10pp per day. However, if you receive the type of service I've received, you'll WANT to give them more. I've had some truly outstanding service and I've wanted to add to what was in my automatic tips. I did so on the last night in the dining room (slipped some extra to the head waiter) and on the morning of our departure (gave the room steward extra). If you don't think your service was exceptional, you certainly don't need to tip extra.

I hope you have a fabulous cruise.

We always pre-pay and then give additional tips for services we receive. That includes a really attentive steward getting an extra tip and of course anytime you have room service you need to tip. We also usually give our waitstaff an additional amount. Plus remember, anytime you order anything to drink, a 15% gratuity is automatically tacked on. We carry extra cash with us for tips on board and ashore.

The $10.00 a day, per person, covers 99% of your tips. There is a 15% tip automatically added for beverage service - no need to tip there.

The only other places would be room service - always a good idea to tip a dollar or two, the Spa - if you think it's worth it and, of course, ashore when needed. If you gamble, it's always nice to tip the dealer if you hit a big payout - but not required or even necessary.

You'll tip the longshoreman who takes your suitcase at the pier - a few dollars is all. If you use a porter after debarkation, you'd tip him also.

Hope this helps.

Iv also tipped some shuttle drivers at the ports of calls a few bucks. When I park at EZCruise and they shuttle me to the pier we tip them a few bucks.

I bring a envelope now with ones mostly, a few fives etc. just for tipping these folks you run into who have tip jars out.

We do, too Firefly!

My family goes on longer cruises. We bring lots of ones for tipping room service each time. (2.00 for breakfast each morning) You can use the ones for other tips, too. My husband gets a pack of ones at the bank before we leave. We always tip our waiter and his assistant extra (anywhere from 50.00 and up). No, we don't give the waiters ones..LOL The steward gets an extra tip, too. This is on top of the auto-tip. You don't have to tip extra. The tipping issue is a big debate!

Iv also tipped some shuttle drivers at the ports of calls a few bucks. When I park at EZCruise and they shuttle me to the pier we tip them a few bucks.

I bring a envelope now with ones mostly, a few fives etc. just for tipping these folks you run into who have tip jars out.

Can you tell me what EZCruise is? It sounds like a place to park and leave your car during the cruise, is that correct? Where is it located? I will be looking later for what to do about our car in Miami

Archived