Restaurants in Downtown Vancouver

Dresher5

PS

A day trip to Whistler - it depends on how many days you have in Vancouver. There is so much to do in the city, and you'll be OD'd on scenery by the end of your cruise, that I would only recommend going if you've at a loss to fill you time.

It is the city of Victoria, the capital city of BC on Vancouver Island, where you are considering spending the day.;)

Both Whistler and Victoria are beautiful. Be forewarned that the highway to Whistler was shut down for days due to a landslide about 10 days ago. It is a fact of life on that road. There is only one other way out - and it involves a dirt road and an 8 hour drive. One can only hope that that doesn't happen during the Olympics....:rolleyes:

If you go to Vancouver Island, I recommend either going on a bus trip, or being sure to book a reservation on the ferry. It is about 1 hour 45 minutes to the island, so you have to plan your day well to make it back that day. Many people wait all day in ferry lineups, as they didn't want to spend the fee to make the reservation.

Make sure to go up Grouse Mountain and to the Capilano Suspension Bridge in North Vancouver. As far as I'm concerned, they are more interesting than Stanley Park. Though I may be skewered by fellow Vancouverites for that comment...:p Make sure it is a nice day if you go up Grouse Mountain. NO sense in going if it is cloudy and raining - you won't see squat.

My 15yo son and I visited YVR pre-cruise in early July. Grouse Mtn. is clearly visible from downtown, so we waited until it cleared then hopped on Seabus and transit bus. We went around 430pm and a lot of attractions at the top were closed (no caution about this at the ticket booth). It's rather expensive so that might be a consideration if you're on a budget. On the other hand, nearby Capilano was excellent and we both really enjoyed it. The Entertainment Book for YVR has a 2:1 coupon, and all Ent. Books are on sale for $10 since it's late in the year.

We wanted to mountain bike on the North Shore but didn't have time...instead, we rented bikes and rode the seawall trail around Stanley Park (7.5 miles). It was very scenic and relaxing. The street near the entrance to Stanley Park has about 6 bike rental places; we used Bayshore Bikes since they had a Entertainment Book coupon. They were just OK; "Spokes" seemed to have better service and equipment.

As far as restaurants downtown...there are a few White Spot locations (basic burger menu like In n' Out in California) and also Tim Horton (we try to avoid fast food but they are very good). We also saw a Red Robin. For breakfast, try Cafe' Crepe. The quality and variety of crepes are excellent but there is little else on the menu.

After breakfast one day we went to Granville Island. There's a lot of coffee houses, bakeries, deli counters, produce stands, etc. Too bad we had already eaten! You can take a bus or small ferry to Granville (ferries are independent and transit passes don't apply).

Since you asked about Chinese, we ate at Shanghai Chinese Bistro on Alberni (downtown). They were excellent, but pricey. Family style entrees are $15-20 each.

We walked through Chinatown...it's not too different from Chinatown in any other major city so I'd skip it if you're pressed for time. If you go, be sure to browse a "pharmacy" and look at the jars and containers of strange plant and animal products for medicinal purposes. Also be a bit cautious in the evening...we walked through an adjacent neighborhood that was pretty sketchy.

Last tip- all day transit passes are $9. They are worth it after 4-6 bus / Seabus / Skytrain trips. We planned all our running around on one day and got our money's worth out of the passes.

Hope this helps! The locals will have better, more accurate tips...mine are from a visitor and parent perspective so take that into consideration.

"involves a dirt road '

The Duffey lake route from Whistler has been paved since the early 1990's - while long it is very scenic and makes a good round trip if one had a couple of extra days to tour.

Kenish - I am curious about what attractions on Grouse were closed - I was up there in July - all be it at a earlier time in the day and all the normal attractions were opened - Bears, birds, logging show, theater in the sky.

Glad you enjoyed the ride around Stanley Park - it is truly a spectacular ride.

As for places to eat - there are so many that I don't know where to start - perhaps if you tell us your food favorites and where you are staying us regulars can start suggesting some.

Cheers

Dennis

If you're on a budget, the Old Spaghetti Factory in Gastown might work for you. On + around Robson Street there are lots of restaurants the kids will enjoy - White Spot, Cactus Club, Milestones and Earls. Most have the menus posted outside, and they all have websites you can Google to get an idea of their menus.

There will be lots to keep you interested and occupied in Vancouver for several days. Besides the already-mentioned Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge and Stanley Park, there's the Aquarium in Stanley Park, a great Science Centre, IMAX theater at Canada Place, Gastown ...

Have a great trip.

PS (again)

I agree that Granville Island is a great place for breakfast. And you can easily spend several hours browsing the market and walking around the island, checking out the stores, galleries and artist studios. There are water "buses" from the downtown side of False Creek - fun way to get there.

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful replies-you have really made me re-think our plans! We have a rental car for the duration of our time in Vancouver. We are staying at the Park Inn Suites. ANyone familiar with it? It is suppossed to be in downtown Vancouver.

We may skip Whistler and spend more time right in the city. But...I keep hearing that I should go to Victoria Island. ANy last words?

I can't wait to explore your wonderful city!

Peg

Thanks also for the restaurant suggestions. We may skip China Town. We are really a Pub and Grub kind of family-although any outstanding eateries may be worth a trip, esp. if they are unique!

Thanks Again!!!

Drescher

it's VANCOUVER Island, not Victoria Island. Victoria is the largest city on the island, and it is the capital of B.C. There may be a Victoria Island somewhere, but it ain't here :) It is a charming city, with a very nice inner harbour, excellent museum and the ever famous Butchart Gardens, but I'm not sure I'd take time out of short stay in Vancouver to go there. (And if you're looking for botanical gardens, Vancouver has some wonderful ones. ) I'm sure others will weigh in with their own ideas.

If you really want to visit Victoria for the day, check out Pacific Coach Lines http://www.pacificcoach.com/index.cfm, but be prepared for a long day. PCL also does day trips to Butchart Gardens.

One other option, which would make the travelling shorter, but would get pricey is to fly from Vancouver harbour to Victoria harbour. Either fly both ways or fly one way and bus back, but this option could get pricey.

If you are going to be in Vancouver before Aug. 31, and if you do decide to go to Whistler, one thing I think you should do is take the tour of the new Whistler Sliding Centre. It's the track that will be used in the 2010 Olympic Winter Games for skeleton, bobsled, and luge. Get up close and personal with the track, so when you watch the Games on TV, you will have a better appreciation of what those athletes are doing. I'm biased - I am involved in the bobsled and skeleton community. In talking to some of my sliding friends who had the opportunity to slide there this winter when they were testing the track, it is a FAST track. It's in a really great location on Blackcomb Mt.

You can also visit the Whistler Olympic Park, where the ski jumps are. There are tours there, too. You can take a chairlift up to the top of the big ski jumps, look down the hill, and say, "those guys and girls who jump are CRAZY!!" I've been to the top of the K12- jumps in Park City and Calgary - it is a crazy view - you have to wonder just how they do it!

When the 2010 Games come, you and your kids can say "I was there, I saw that!"

The websites to look at for info are:

http://www.whistlerslidingcentre.com

http://www.whistlerolympicpark.com

"involves a dirt road '

Kenish - I am curious about what attractions on Grouse were closed - I was up there in July - all be it at a earlier time in the day and all the normal attractions were opened - Bears, birds, logging show, theater in the sky.

Ut, I think he posted this earlier and while I think it was a time of day matter I suggested he contact the mountain and see about getting some of his money refuned if he felt short changed in anyway. I think that we all know that Grouse Mountain as a sterling reputation and a not in the business of disappointng customers.

Could anyone suggest great reasonable restaurants in Vancouver. How about China Town? ALso, is it worth it to take a day trip to Whistler? Thanks so much!!

Some of this would depend upon where you are staying. In the downtown there are are several family style restauarants that spring to mind and they would include a White Spot and Seymour and Georgia, Moxies about 2 blocks east of the White Spot on Georgia and a Red Robin at Thurlow and Robson. As we have had a lot of Asian immigration to Vancouver and the immigrants have settled all over the city, the best Chinese restauants are no longer in Chinatown but spread all over the city, that said it hard to find a great one in the downtown area.

As you are traveling as a family you may well want to rent a car to drive to Whistler and it is a lovely day trip, plan that the drive in either direction will be about 2.5 hrs from downtown Vanocuver. The rental car will probably prove the most cost effective for a trip to Victoria as well and I would definitely recommend a reservation on the ferry during the summer. However I probably wouldn't recommend doing both Victoria and Whistler on a 3 day stay in Vancover, Vancouver just has too much to see and do. Here is a link to the BC Ferries site.

http://www.bcferries.com/

Ut, I think he posted this earlier and while I think it was a time of day matter I suggested he contact the mountain and see about getting some of his money refuned if he felt short changed in anyway. I think that we all know that Grouse Mountain as a sterling reputation and a not in the business of disappointng customers.

Putterdude and UT- All the attractions were closed except the bears; it was definitely a time of day issue. Also, the restaurant and lodge were closed for a wedding; only the gift shop was open. I took Putterdude's suggestion and e-mailed them about a week ago. They sent an automated reply that they will review my comment. The issue isn't a big deal (I didn't ask for any money back). But we felt the closures should be posted at the ticket window...and anyone going after 4pm should ask what's open. It's good to hear our experience was unusual, I guess every place has their "bad hair" days! :)

We're looking forward to returning to Vancouver...everyone was incredibly helpful, friendly, and all the other Boy Scout virtues. We want to have time to see more of your city as well as Whistler, Vancouver Island, do some mountain biking, and maybe go to Calgary by train or rental car. So many places, so little vacation time!

Kenish, thanks for coming back on this matter and I certainly wouldn't let the matter drop with the mountain. I quite agree, if things arn't open then it should be posted. Please lets us know in some fashion after you have heard from them.

A restaurant we really enjoyed and so did our daughter that was in a good location and very reasonably priced was called Steamworks. It was right next to the Seabus terminal in between downtown and Gastown, and had excellent food and terrific beers, etc, with a great view of the bay. We really liked it there!!

We found a wonderful little Raw Vegan place, called Eternal Abundance and Truffle Cafe, 1025 Commercial Drive, at Napier Street,

East Vancouver. Fabulous Spinach Pie!!!

Here's a listing of vegetarian restaurants in Vancouver:

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/Canada/Vancouver.htm

Just in case someone is interested :p

I agree with the comments about Buchart Gardens. If you have a couple of days on the Island, then yes it would be a good place to visit. But quite honestly I find it very expensive and a little over-rated and there is so much else to do I would hate to take the time out for the gardens. Having said that, there are coach trips from Vancouver to Victoria that include Buchart Gardens as a stop, in a one-day trip.

Stanley Park is lovely' as for Capilano my opinion is it's extremely overpriced now, and ther's always Lynne Canyon suspension bridge, which is free!

Archived