Can anyone tell me anything about the Statendaam?

fcombs

My husband and I were thinking of taking a Christmas and New Years cruise to Hawaii out of San Diego on the Statendaam, however, some of the reviews have scared me off a bit. Does anyone have anything they can tell me about this ship - good or bad?

Faye

Our cruise to Mexico on the Statendam in 2002 was one of the best ever. Great ship, terrific staff, wonderful memories. One of our group says nothing compares to the Statendam. He can't wait for her to move to Texas so we can go again.

Have to agree with everything said. We did 10 day Mexican Riviera and Sea of Cortez last November. We felt the staff to be the best of our limited (six) cruises on HAL. The ship itself was in top-notch condition. Wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise on the Statendam if the itinerary and the timing are right.

We just finished the Circle Hawaii cruise on the Statendam last Friday. Still having bread pudding withdrawals. The Statendam is in great shape. She has many of the S.O.E. enhancements in place. The crew was wonderful and the food great. This was perhaps our favorite cruise to date, although that may have something to do with it being our first 14+ day cruise. All those wonderful sea days to and from the islands. By all means go the extra for a verandah. Definitely worth it on the Hawaii trip. Just sit and watch the Pacific go by in your robe and slippers.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

apc0204:

The S.O.E. enhancements included, Egyptian linens, make-up mirror, much improved hairdryer, robes, stainless steel ice bucket and serving tray, Eurotop matteress, and massage shower heads. Of course Statendam has had the Pinnacle and Grill and Neptune Lounge for sometime now. We also had the four dining times but the late times were 7:45 and 8:15 instead of the published 8:00 and 8:30 which we thought were better because of the nearly hour wait for the late show if you had dinner at 7:45.

The fountain in the atrium was working.

We had calm seas all but the first day out of San Diego and that day wasn't bad with only 5-8 foot well spaced swells. In fact on the return trip the seas were like glass a couple of days with out any swells or wind driven chop.

You will absolutely love this cruise.

Garydm:

No, the hotel manager was Peter Fealey. Never got a chance to speak with him. The Cruise Director was Lynda Konarski who we have had before in Alaska and enjoyed visiting with several times on this trip.

We are so excited. My wife has never been to Hawaii. I have been twice before on Princess once sailed from Vancouver (very calm seas) and once from Ensenada (very rough). I guess it is a roll of the dice. Getting nervous as this will be by far our longest trip and I will be leaving my business for almost 3 weeks!!!

Thanks for the info on the SOE! Can't wait to set sail!

Anthony

We were on the Statendam in April of 2003, and she was wonderful!! It was one of the best cruises we have ever taken.

I haven't seen anything bad about her on this board. Maybe I missed it?

But you would love the Statendam.

'Til we sail on Rotterdam,

Mary Ellen

Archived