Formal Evenings

GrahamV

We are cruising on the Century later this month (Aug 08), being a first time cruiser, can you advise what you recommend to wear on a formal night? Dinner Suit/Tux or can you wear a Lounge suit?

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if you are serious or not given that this is your first post to the forum. However, I think you will find that there is no shortage of dress code threads here if you take the time to read around a little bit. They frequently take a quick turn toward the heated side so I'll bow out at this point.

For a quick response since the Dress Code Threads get very weird:

According to one estimate someone referenced from Celebrity, about 80% wore the recommended clothes, which, for men, is either a Tux, Dark Suit, or a Dinner Jacket with Slacks. I've seen military formal uniforms (mess dress), and formal kilts also.

Now, lets not turn this into a Dress Code free-for-all. The OP is just asking about what to wear, and not asking for an extended discussion on what we think shouldn't be worn or what we've seen worn that is inappropriate.

The Celebrity guidelines on their FAQ are very straightforward for Formal Nights.

Here is how you get to it:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000h09fziSDPE5NghCI_RVnZVp:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

Denny

We are cruising on the Century later this month (Aug 08), being a first time cruiser, can you advise what you recommend to wear on a formal night? Dinner Suit/Tux or can you wear a Lounge suit?

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if you are serious or not given that this is your first post to the forum. However, I think you will find that there is no shortage of dress code threads here if you take the time to read around a little bit. They frequently take a quick turn toward the heated side so I'll bow out at this point.

I think the OP is being serious and is probably British. In Britain, I believe a Dinner Suit refers to a black tie outfit such as a tuxedo. A "lounge suit" refers to a dark business suit. The outfits described by the OP both comply with Celebrity's definition of formal.

Dave

I think the OP is being serious and is probably British. In Britain, I believe a Dinner Suit refers to a black tie outfit such as a tuxedo. A "lounge suit" refers to a dark business suit. The outfits described by the OP both comply with Celebrity's definition of formal.

Dave

Indeed lounge suite == business suit.

See this for a discussion of "lounge suit"

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=23269

Thanks for all your Comments, I am indeed from the UK and will take both a Dinner Suit (I will have to get a new one my old one's to tight!!) and a Lounge suit (Business Suit). Thanks again, really looking forward to this first cruise.

Archived