Pyramid Security

Chesie

Just reading in paper this am that Egypt has started an elaborate project to modernize the area and make it friendlier to tourists. Security is also improving with a 12 mile chain-link fence featuring cameras, alarms and motion detectors. Also, there is a systems's control room at the site of the ancient Giza Pyramids.

Anyone else hear this?

Chesie

when we were there security was a bunch of guys on camels with whips...one of the locals pulled the it will cost you $$$$ to get off my camel scams and these guys tracked down the offender from the tourists picture of his camel...they then apparently beat the crap out of him...effective but I would prefer them having the option of banning the guy from an enclosed area..same effect without the violence

From the article below:

"...Egypt unveiled on Monday (August 11,2008) the first stage of an elaborate project to modernize the site and make it more tourist-friendly, while also putting in improved security - including a 12-mile chain-link fence with cameras, alarms and motion detectors surrounding the site.

... The long metal chain-link fence around the plateau reaches a height of 13 feet (4 meters) at some points. "Intruders can't jump over this," Wahid said. It is dotted with infrared sensors and motion detectors that set off alarms at a control room on the plateau.

Tourists enter through a new brick entrance building, where half a dozen gates are equipped with metal detectors and X-ray machines. Once inside, their every step is closely watched by 199 closed-circuit cameras covering every corner of the sprawling plateau. The footage goes back to the control room, where guards monitor a bank of 24 screens around the clock."

http://cbs2.com/watercooler/giza.pyramids.tourists.2.793767.html

Oh my!!!!

I guess it will be safer; but we had a security guard on our tour who had a automatic weapon --so I felt pretty safe. Actually it was the security guards at the pyramids who scared me the most - are they going to fence them out? They offered to take photos for us and pointed to their security badges so we would feel secure. After the photo they basically demanded a tip and weren't too happy with whatever they were given. Very intimidating.

So in my opinion...just MHO, a chain link fence isn't what's necessary. Attitude adjustment might be the ticket.

Honestly it is an experience of a lifetime - no one should miss out on seeing the pyramids because of security concerns.

Baksheesh(technically it is considered a gift but it is a bribe) is a way of life in the Mideast. if you don't want the picture just say no but the custom is if they take you picture a small "gift" is appropriate(a dollar or 2 is more than enough)....especially to a person with a machine gun. No one says you have to have them take your picture but when in Rome.....

I am sure the guards will still be there doing the same thing- they aren't paid much less than $100 per month.(for Bakshhesk you can even climb the Pyramids which I sure my good friend Dr. Hawass will hate). The guns are there because certain groups would love to kill a few Americans ...and the Egyptian tourist industry.

I agree with thethreeofus. We were there in May and you couldn't even look at any of the Tourist Police as they would be immediately offering their services to take photos, show you the best ways to see the pyramids etc. We had been warned about them and we said no, but they are so insistent. They are the ones who ruined the viewing for me, not the Vendors trying to sell their wares.

If they did show you something, then the tip you gave them was never enough and they would keep on pestering you for more. We believed that $1US was more than enough and I refused to hand out any more of our hard earned money.

Jennie

I agree with thethreeofus. We were there in May and you couldn't even look at any of the Tourist Police as they would be immediately offering their services to take photos, show you the best ways to see the pyramids etc. We had been warned about them and we said no, but they are so insistent. They are the ones who ruined the viewing for me, not the Vendors trying to sell their wares.

If they did show you something, then the tip you gave them was never enough and they would keep on pestering you for more. We believed that $1US was more than enough and I refused to hand out any more of our hard earned money.

Jennie

I don't disagree with you. No one ever did that to me. Sometimes I would just say Fal mis mis---which roughly translated means in your dreams. They would laugh at my pronunciation and I just walked on. I do think however if you go over to them and ask them to take your picture that is a different story but again a US dollar or two is more than enough for that as well.

• 1 month later...
I am with Nile Blue.

is it extra $ to enter a pyramid and how much?

what is the experience like? someone said a 3 ft. ceiling, you crunch down, sore backs etc. Is this everyone's experience?

thanks

You may not be at the pyramids when they are open if you are with Nile Blue. There is nothing to "see" inside and yes, the long corridor is about 3 ft and you walk totally crouched over the whole way. Unless you're just wild about going inside, I'd forget it and do a camel ride instead.

price of a camel ride (imagine depends on the camel owner)

how high off the ground are you? (I have a 'thing' about heights)

can you just sit on the camel, have a photo, get off instead of bouncing around on it?

main thing: price!! DH might do the camel thing.

price of a camel ride (imagine depends on the camel owner)

how high off the ground are you? (I have a 'thing' about heights)

can you just sit on the camel, have a photo, get off instead of bouncing around on it?

I am not sure about the cost of getting up on the camel but when we were in Tunisia they brought some camels out in front of the ship. They were letting people get on them to have their pictures taken. We just took pictures of us patting the camel. We gave the person a few dollars and he was happy. So maybe they do the same sort of thing at the port in Egypt too.

you can see pictures of a camel ride at Dashur on the police camel no less....at http://www.youtube.com/smeyer418

it cost us $5.00 US(total not each) as tips for the five guards. I was up a while(and had to ask the guard to remove the machine gun before I rode). They also had entertained us before ...the camel drinking the water was the same place and the camel I rode. worth every penny. Your guide should both guide you and negotiate it for you. They will do better than you. I also went down the Pyramid there for a buck. You will walk like Walter Brennan for three days(its called the Pyramid dance) used muscles that I hadn't in years(walking stooped over down and up is such a treat...not) but I am glad I did it and it had no permanent affect.

price of a camel ride (imagine depends on the camel owner) We paid $20 to ride single and $30 to ride double. Did one of each and both were fun..

how high off the ground are you? (I have a 'thing' about heights) The "saddle" is probably 8 feet off the ground.

can you just sit on the camel, have a photo, get off instead of bouncing around on it? Yes you can , probably for $5.

I think everyone should do a camel ride. Yes it's a little scary, especially the getting up and down, but it's a great experience. Just do It!

I think everyone should do a camel ride. Yes it's a little scary, especially the getting up and down, but it's a great experience. Just do It!

I have to disagree somewhat. I was "talked" into it by my tour group and I did not enjoy myself at all. I was terrified. I clutched the pommel so tightly that I cut my palm. I would've been much happier staying on the ground and having a nice shot of me standing in front of the beast and smiling rather than on its back with a terrified look on my face.

If you know that it's not for you, don't feel that you have to do it.

I have to disagree somewhat. I was "talked" into it by my tour group and I did not enjoy myself at all. I was terrified. I clutched the pommel so tightly that I cut my palm. I would've been much happier staying on the ground and having a nice shot of me standing in front of the beast and smiling rather than on its back with a terrified look on my face.

If you know that it's not for you, don't feel that you have to do it.

Cynthia -

"Just Do It" is Nike's slogan and my philosophy of life ! :D Hopefully people will use their best judgement. I've been talked into a lot of things that I didn't like afterward and would never do again, but I've never regretted anything! I have a terminal case of "when in Rome....." :cool:

Rita

some people are scarred riding a horse. some people are scared riding a hobby horse. Its really up to what you feel most comfortable with. Some people are comfortable riding a hot air balloon some people aren't. I ride horses occasionally(out wickenburg way), it was far easier for ME to ride a camel. My wife, whose official name at Rancho De Los Cabbellaros is "Wimp of the West" found the camels easier.

Cynthia -

"Just Do It" is Nike's slogan and my philosophy of life ! :D Hopefully people will use their best judgement. I've been talked into a lot of things that I didn't like afterward and would never do again, but I've never regretted anything! I have a terminal case of "when in Rome....." :cool:

Rita

Certainly if someone is merely waffling, I think it is excellent advice to "just do it". That happened with the hot air balloon ride in Luxor, and it was a blast.

But in my case I really felt I was bullied into doing the camel ride against my will, and it colored my memory of that event in a "not good" way. I suppose that's why I feel everyone should do what they feel is right and NOT talk others into doing something that may not be right for them.

Archived