Has anyone ever used Okeydokey tours with Charlie Soto

jacketwatch

I'm surprised to hear that some had problems with Charlie Soto's tour. I am surprised since Charlie was very responsive and helpful with both our tours (one with 42 people and the other with 8). Our 2 tours with Charlie, one in Limon and 3 years later in Puntarenas. Our tours were better than advertised, everyone had a great time. The tour guides were very knowledgeable and personable. All of us had a fantastic time viewing all the beauty of Costa Rica including ziplining (what fun), Poas volcano, an La Pas animal & plant garden, the metal church, town of Sarchi, Tortugero canal, Bonita beach & restuarant, banana plantation and plenty of places to purchase coffee and other vacation souvenirs. We had a wonderful time and sincerely hope to return someday for more sights of Costa Rica with Charlie Soto and Okeydokey Tours. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy prosperous New Year.

We have used Charlie twice with 2 different group bookings. He had a large van for 20 of us the first time and then a smaller one for 10 of us the second time. The first time we did miss a stop but we spent the entire time touring and having a good time. When the beer ran out, Carlos took us to Bonita beach and had anyone who wanted beer order from the bar and he picked up the tab. We missed the stop due to spending time looking at the monkeys in a tree, and a sloth, which was all enjoyable. By the time we were done with ziplining, the river cruise, lunch the banana plantation was closed. Carlos our guide took us to the plantation ( not the processing plant) and showed us the banana trees and talked about the process.

On our second tour, a year later, we did White Water Rafting. It was the day after the mud slides and we were allowed to go rafting while the ship tour canceled it. Although we had asked Charlie for level 3 or 4, we were taken to level 2. He told us that he had no choice since the higher levels were too fast due to the storm. We were there in Nov after the tropical storm. He found out that one of the people in the group was celebrating a birthday and bought him a cake and presented it to him during our wonderful lunch.

Charlie responds fast to emails, and both times he was there waiting for the group. He is a nice man who values your vacation time and tries to accommodate everyone. At times things do not happen as according to plan but he is very sincere and helpful in giving a good tour. He is very responsible to getting everyone back in time for the ship.

I have kept in contact with Charlie since we formed a "email relationship".

After meeting him, he is a friend. I would not hesitate using him again.

He makes the long trip to Puerto Limon since his home is closer to the other port side. His days are long and he is organized in getting all the tours to meet all the people.

I would use him again, and tell him CORI says hi!!

On Dec 20, 2010 my group of 7 took a private tour with OkeyDokey Tours. (www.okeydokeytours.com . Our guide was Ray, who was great. We were cruising on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas, our first cruise. I had used Cruise critic to find a reputable tour guide and was delighted to discover that every praise of Charlie's tour company were true.

Ray met us with a smile and handshake. Two of our members walk with canes and Ray made sure they were accomodated thoughout the tour. They did not miss a thing.

Our first stop was a boat trip of Tortugero Canal. Ray timed our arrival so we beat out the other tours and the morning rains, giving us a quiet and peaceful visit. Seeing what a great time we were having, Ray arranged our morning to spend more time on the canal where we saw amazing wildlife and birds. We we never rushed and that alone made the trip so valuable. The van was furnished with a cooler of free snacks, beer, water and beverages.

Our next stop was the Veragua Rainforest, a nature lovers dream. Again, we were never rushed and spent as much time as we wanted at this pristine park.

Finally, we stopped for lunch at Bonita Beach. Delicious.

Ray accomodated us in every way. Allowing us to spend time where we wanted and as long as we wanted. He was knowledgable, personable and caring for the 2 individuals in our group who walked with canes. The cost per person was $125 each and included a private van, and all entry tickets. (Discount for Cruise critic members)

I just got back from a cruise, and we did a tour with Okey Dokey that did not go exactly as planned.

Charlie had been great about pre-trip communication, but when we arrived at the pier, no one was standing and waiting for us with our name on a sign, as he said they would be. It took us FOREVER to find him, and when we finally did, he had the sign in his pocket, which clearly wasn't very helpful. We then met up with another family.

We and the other family had customized our trip and planned the entire thing specifically around the Jaguar Rescue Center. My family double checked with Charlie in the morning, and the other family checked with our driver to be sure we'd hit the JRC. Both said everything would go as planned.

We first were dropped off for our Tortuguero Canal tour, which was incredible, thanks to our guide. Even though it was pouring rain, we had a nice time. After the tour, our driver was not there to pick us up, and we had to stand out in the rain for 10-15 minutes.

We thought we would head to the Rescue Center first, but we ended up at the Del Monte banana plantation (after an hour drive). Now, this had not been on our itinerary, but we assumed the driver knew what he was doing.

After the plantation, he told us we were off to to the JRC, but it was almost 1:30 at this point, and we asked to do lunch first. Lunch was good, but took nearly 45 minutes to be served... far too long on our tight schedule!

After lunch, everything was downhill. We discovered we didn't have time for the JRC (the ONE thing we planned our day around), and we missed it. There was some nonsensical story about there being two Rescue Centers, and one was closed.. I don't know. He then offered us a rainforest tour, and promised we would have enough time for it. When we checked to make sure we'd have enough time, we realized it was a 30 min tour and 30 min drive, and we literally had just under an hour to get back to our ship. We told him we didn't feel comfortable cutting it so close, and just went back to the ship.

We then refused to pay full price, as we hadn't gotten the one thing we wanted, and through no fault of our own. How were we to know that our driver was taking us an hour out of the way to the banana plantation? Charlie was a bit upset, but finally realized we wouldn't budge.

Now, I will say this... we had a nice time in Costa Rica, other than the big disappointment of missing the Jaguar Rescue Center. The Canal was a highlight for sure! However, most of this, I DON'T attribute to Okey Dokey Tours, unfortunately.

If you use this company, be sure to check and double check your plans for the day.

I just got back from a cruise, and we did a tour with Okey Dokey that did not go exactly as planned.

That statement pretty much sums up our experience with Okey Dokey as well.

I had great e-mail communication with Charlie before our tour. We were supposed to do the A-5 Veragua Rainforest tour. Charlie told me there were 3 other couples from our ship going, that he would be our tour guide, and we'd be stopping by his house after the tour to have some birthday cake with his son. To make a long story short, this didn't happen.

We ended up on a tour with another family who was very nice, but I couldn't help wondering if they were expecting a private tour. After we started off in the van, I found out we weren't going directly to Veragua, but instead we were going to the Tortuguero canal first. At this point it was too late for us to do anything about it, so I just decided to go with the flow.

We did end up going to Veragua, but only after the trip to Tortuguero. I had specifically told Charlie we only wanted to do Veragua because we wanted to spend as much time there as possible, but instead we ended up missing some of the exhibits at Veragua because we were running short on time after the side trip to the canal.

And not that it was a big deal, but Charlie was not our guide as he had stated. We had Jason, who seemed nice but hardly said a word. My husband and I joked around wondering why there was a separate driver and tour guide in the van if the tour guide wasn't even talking.

Did we have a good time? Yes, but primarily because I decided not to let the side trip bother me, and because we had good guides on the canal and at Veragua (but these guides do not work for Okey Dokey). If I could do it all over again, I would have just taken a cab directly to Veragua. I saw a Veragua tent right at the pier when we were walking off the ship, so I don't think this would be very difficult to arrange on the spot.

I hope this was helpful. Feel free to ask me questions if you have any! :)

Stacey,

Which port were you at in Costa Rica? We will be going to Limon and I am interested in knowing if the Veragua tent would be at that port.

I think the trouble with Charlie is that he has become too big with so many bookings and he doesn't know when to say sorry I am booked up and cannot take you. Instead, he seems to be spreading himself too thinly.

Jennie

Stacey,

Which port were you at in Costa Rica? We will be going to Limon and I am interested in knowing if the Veragua tent would be at that port.

I think the trouble with Charlie is that he has become too big with so many bookings and he doesn't know when to say sorry I am booked up and cannot take you. Instead, he seems to be spreading himself too thinly.

Jennie

I think you're right - his operation is just too much for him to handle.

We were docked in Limon. When you get off the ship you'll see a bunch of small tents lined up before you walk through the market/shopping area. That's where I saw the Veragua tent. I wish I had more information for you, but we didn't stop to talk to them because we already had our tour booked. You could probably e-mail them to get more information and make sure they'll be there. You can find their contact info on their website: www.veraguarainforest.com

Have a great cruise! :D

We used him two years ago, and he was great. The comments concern me a little, but based on my previous experience we will use him again, and this time we are going with my in-laws :). I will post my experience when I get back.

For those of you who have booked with Charlie and are worried, I would say you need to honestly ask yourself how flexible you are. Your tour with Charlie might be great and might go exactly as planned, or it might not. As you can see from my earlier review, our tour did not go as planned. However, I decided early on not to let that bother me and we still had a good time. I'm normally not the most laid-back person when it comes to stuff like that, but since we were on vacation I was determined not to let it ruin our day. That's just my two cents, for what it's worth. :o

We were a group of 11 on a Holland America boat through the Panama Canal. One person in our group (we all met on Roll Call) booked Charlie on Okey Dokey. It was to be a zip line ride and tour of Costa Rica. This is what we were told the tour would be:

Hi Scott, i hope you doing well this morning , and this is the description of the tour in Puntarenas, Dec. 30th, ...7 hrs , $99 p.p. you can pay me at the tour, include admission fee, refreshments and lunch, 1st La roca forest to see and feed the cappuchin monkeys, nature habitat there we can see coaty mundys, too, 2nd country side and mango plantation , 3rd Villa Lapas canopy and rainforest to do the zip line or the hanging bridges, 3rd tarcoles town to look for the macaws, 4tjaco Beach to enjoy and lunch included at the beach, 5th Bijagual ocean, river and waterfalls, view, 6th city for coffee vanilla souvenirs, full air conditoned transportation, would be an honor to be at the Main Entrance, gate of the Pier holding a sign: Okeydokey & your name on it 1 hrs after arrival time, to give you an perfect introduction of my beautiful country, returning before 3_30 p.m wear t shirt, short pants, hat, sneakers or tennis shoes....and your wife pay $30 less without zip line. >>

Here is what we got:

He showed up 1/2 hour late. Then we waited another 20 minutes as he was trying to fill the last two seats in the van. Then we started driving but before we left the port, he opened our door and asked us to get out as he had to so back and pick up another two people. After an hour, he told his driver to leave with us - so now we are with a driver who does not speak any English. The driver takes us somewhere to see some monkeys. It was nice but we had to wait there for Charlie to return. By this time, it is over two hours since he picked us up and we have seen one thing. 8 people wanted to go zip lining - 3 didn't so we asked what we would do while the others went zip lining. He said no problem - he would take us to see waterfalls and flowers and do some sight seeing and shopping. He also stopped to get some drinks for us but that should have been done before he came and picked us up. So, eight people went zip lining. The other three - well, we were taken to the main area of the resort where we were left. He said he had to go make arrangements for lunch! To make a long story short we never saw coaty mundys, the rainforest, the waterfalls, or the mango plantation. We did have a very nice lunch but it did not make up for what we were promised. We had very little explanation of the countryside as he spent most of his time on the phone. Also, we got back to the ship at the last minute! Nine out of 11 of us were very unhappy and would not recommend this company or Charlie.

Alvon64,

Thank you for your review. That sucks that your day was not as it was advertised.

I think a lot of these tour guides try to do too much and end up with unhappy customers, which ultimately hurts their prospects of making money off of future customers because who wants to book with them after hearing that they did not deliver what they promised!!

I hope that my upcoming tour with yourluckytours turns out okay. I almost used Charlie Soto's company, but I changed my mind after reading the recent bad reviews.

I hope that my upcoming tour with yourluckytours turns out okay. I almost used Charlie Soto's company, but I changed my mind after reading the recent bad reviews.

I've only read positive things about Your Lucky Tours on here, so I think you'll be okay. I thought about booking with them, but ultimately decided to go with Charlie's tour because it was less expensive. That was really shortsighted of me and I regret it now. Oh well, live and learn! :o

Have a great time on your cruise! :)

I was on the same OkeyDokey Tour as Alvon 64 and wanted to corroborate that report. Charlie is quite the fast talker - he was late to pick us up; it turns out he was "recruiting" another van full of people. However, he only had one van in the port. He drove the 11 of us a short distance away (so that we couldn't change our minds and go with someone else) and spent around an hour trying to get another van to the port. He spent easily 90% of the day on his cell phone, talking in Spanish. He piggybacked onto other sites (the zipline, feeding monkeys, etc.), he is not really providing much himself. When we stopped for refreshments, or on a highway to see crocodiles, we just sat there, unclear about where we were or what we were supposed to do. Charlie was on his phone, and the driver spoke no English. For a "guide", he provided no commentary, and it would have added a great deal. He just kept promising things he couldn't deliver, but beyond over-promising, he is also something of a snake-oil salesman. I highly recommend doing business with someone else in this beautiful country, not wasting your precious hours in port, and getting your money's worth

We just got back and we took the whitewater rafting with Charlie Soto from Okey Dokey.

We had a great time. We were a group of six and they were right there waiting for us when we got out. First we stopped by a market to get us drinks (soda water or beer). Then we drove for awhile and met the guys who were taking us white water rafting. Then we drove down to the river to go rafting. I had two 18 year olds and two 21 year olds with us (we are in our 50's) and they had the time of their life. The guide made their trip so much fun and her really knew what he was doing. They also had someone in a kayak taking pictures of us while we were rafting and they were great. He charged us $10 per person for the pictures which I felt were well worth it. He took over 100 pictures of us.

After the rafting, he took us to lunch in a cafe which was really good. We were going to stop at banana plantation but it was pouring and the kids were knocked out.

I would highly recommend this tour to anyone who wants some adventure which is what Costa Rica is noted for. And I would defintely recommend Charlie Soto

I'm sorry to see such mixed reviews on Charlie's tour. We booked with him for our trip in April to do A2. He has been very good about answering my emails. I am really hoping we have a great experience. From what I've reviewed on CC many of the tour operators in Costa Rica have mixed reviews. Some are good, some are bad so I guess it's the chance we take!

From my cruise review:

Our most incredible day was next in Costa Rica. I pre-scheduled a tour through http://okeydokeytours.com/ . The A2 tour was $89 each and included a rain forest canal tour, trip to the Delmonte banana plantation, zip lines through the rain forest and beach time. It was a full day. Charlie Soto from okeydokey tours sent me an email that our driver would meet us at the cruise pier. There was no advance deposit fee, so if we had changed our mind, we were out nothing. I think it is important to note that when you get off the ship in Costa Rica, there is a staging area for tour busses and taxis that are affiliated with the ship excursions. We did not know this and wandered for a while trying to find Okey Dokey. We found out that we had to go through the large souvenir market to the other side where many more taxi drivers were waiting. We saw a man holding a black and white Okey Dokey sign but we were unsure whether to go with him. I had read about people with fake signs for tour companies so we had to do some checking before going with him. He made a phone call to Charlie Soto and was then able to identify my email address which nobody else would have known. Did I mention this was an amazing day? Our driver's name was Iron. He spoke english well and told us all about Costa Rica as we drove. The minivan that we road in had great air conditioning and Iron even had a cooler with some soda and water for us to enjoy. Iron was flexible about what order we wanted to see the sites. We chose to first do the canal tour. The amazing Iron arranged for us to have our own canal boat so we were able to see all the animals pointed out on the rain forest banks. We saw monkeys, sloths, iguanas and birds on the banks of the "little amazon". Next we headed for the banana plantation. Iron man himself walked us out into the banana farm and expertly explained all about the plants themselves with samples for us to touch and see up close. He then walked us over to the manufacturing area where we saw how the bananas are brought in and processed by the workers. Fascinating! From there, we stopped at a special roadside fruit stand. Iron spoke with the young lady there and then spoke to us about the organic fruit there and how it was very different from the fruit at the Delmonte facility. We all ate an organic banana and sample Costa Rican pineapple. So much better than the can! From there we headed for the zip line park called Cedar Valley. Iron came with us to the counter and spoke to the cashier about our package so the did not charge us, but instead took us right to the gear to get suited up. (Incidentally, we never had to pay a single penney until we were returned to the cruise dock!) Back to the zip lines. The guides put all of the gear on and then gave us a quick lesson on how to ride the zip lines. It seemed simple enough and they assured us that they would make it all as easy possible. We were driven by a large tractor pulling a wagon up the side of a mountain. Even this part was scary because the trail for the tractor is narrow and made of dirt and rocks. It looked like we could spill over the edge of the mountain at any moment. When we reached the first tree stand, we climbed a rope staircase. At the top, the guide hooked our equipment to the line. The first stand was way above the rain forest. It was absolutely terrifying. That next stand is long ways away. After being caught by the guide there, I immediately looked around for a way to end this adventure. There was no escape and I had to continue by flying a above a river of white water rapids. My 10 year old son was shaking with fear, screaming and crying. We just had to be done. After flying above the river I immediately told the guide at that stand that my son and I were done. After asking if I was sure ten times, he called a car to come get us. My husband and daughter were excited to continue on. Crazy people! The SUV ride down the mountain was just as exciting as the tractor pull to the top. Back on the flat ground, they had small gift shop with complimentary coffee. It was delicious! Iron recommended a brand and later took us to a local grocery store (not a tourist gift shop) to get some real Cost Rican bags of coffee. Once the crazy members of the family returned from the rest of their zip line adventure, Iron drove us to the beach. Since the local schools were on a break, there were many local children. We played in the water and sand. Some beach hawkers rented us a lounge chair and a boogie board for $5. There was a small Spanish restaurant on the beach. Iron ordered us all a traditional chicken dinner with rice and beans. The cost was also included in our package. We all sampled, but by this time, it was close to dinner on the ship. This day was priceless and worth beyond what we paid. If you go to Costa Rica, you must request Iron through Okey Dokey tours. Since the timing was our choice, there was never a worry about getting back to the ship on time. I can’t recommend this experience highly enough. Skip the high priced Carnival offerings and do this!

From my cruise review:

Our most incredible day was next in Costa Rica. I pre-scheduled a tour through http://okeydokeytours.com/ . The A2 tour was $89 each and included a rain forest canal tour, trip to the Delmonte banana plantation, zip lines through the rain forest and beach time. It was a full day. Charlie Soto from okeydokey tours sent me an email that our driver would meet us at the cruise pier. There was no advance deposit fee, so if we had changed our mind, we were out nothing. I think it is important to note that when you get off the ship in Costa Rica, there is a staging area for tour busses and taxis that are affiliated with the ship excursions. We did not know this and wandered for a while trying to find Okey Dokey. We found out that we had to go through the large souvenir market to the other side where many more taxi drivers were waiting. We saw a man holding a black and white Okey Dokey sign but we were unsure whether to go with him. I had read about people with fake signs for tour companies so we had to do some checking before going with him. He made a phone call to Charlie Soto and was then able to identify my email address which nobody else would have known. Did I mention this was an amazing day? Our driver's name was Iron. He spoke english well and told us all about Costa Rica as we drove. The minivan that we road in had great air conditioning and Iron even had a cooler with some soda and water for us to enjoy. Iron was flexible about what order we wanted to see the sites. We chose to first do the canal tour. The amazing Iron arranged for us to have our own canal boat so we were able to see all the animals pointed out on the rain forest banks. We saw monkeys, sloths, iguanas and birds on the banks of the "little amazon". Next we headed for the banana plantation. Iron man himself walked us out into the banana farm and expertly explained all about the plants themselves with samples for us to touch and see up close. He then walked us over to the manufacturing area where we saw how the bananas are brought in and processed by the workers. Fascinating! From there, we stopped at a special roadside fruit stand. Iron spoke with the young lady there and then spoke to us about the organic fruit there and how it was very different from the fruit at the Delmonte facility. We all ate an organic banana and sample Costa Rican pineapple. So much better than the can! From there we headed for the zip line park called Cedar Valley. Iron came with us to the counter and spoke to the cashier about our package so the did not charge us, but instead took us right to the gear to get suited up. (Incidentally, we never had to pay a single penney until we were returned to the cruise dock!) Back to the zip lines. The guides put all of the gear on and then gave us a quick lesson on how to ride the zip lines. It seemed simple enough and they assured us that they would make it all as easy possible. We were driven by a large tractor pulling a wagon up the side of a mountain. Even this part was scary because the trail for the tractor is narrow and made of dirt and rocks. It looked like we could spill over the edge of the mountain at any moment. When we reached the first tree stand, we climbed a rope staircase. At the top, the guide hooked our equipment to the line. The first stand was way above the rain forest. It was absolutely terrifying. That next stand is long ways away. After being caught by the guide there, I immediately looked around for a way to end this adventure. There was no escape and I had to continue by flying a above a river of white water rapids. My 10 year old son was shaking with fear, screaming and crying. We just had to be done. After flying above the river I immediately told the guide at that stand that my son and I were done. After asking if I was sure ten times, he called a car to come get us. My husband and daughter were excited to continue on. Crazy people! The SUV ride down the mountain was just as exciting as the tractor pull to the top. Back on the flat ground, they had small gift shop with complimentary coffee. It was delicious! Iron recommended a brand and later took us to a local grocery store (not a tourist gift shop) to get some real Cost Rican bags of coffee. Once the crazy members of the family returned from the rest of their zip line adventure, Iron drove us to the beach. Since the local schools were on a break, there were many local children. We played in the water and sand. Some beach hawkers rented us a lounge chair and a boogie board for $5. There was a small Spanish restaurant on the beach. Iron ordered us all a traditional chicken dinner with rice and beans. The cost was also included in our package. We all sampled, but by this time, it was close to dinner on the ship. This day was priceless and worth beyond what we paid. If you go to Costa Rica, you must request Iron through Okey Dokey tours. Since the timing was our choice, there was never a worry about getting back to the ship on time. I can’t recommend this experience highly enough. Skip the high priced Carnival offerings and do this!

Thank you for the review! That's the same excursion we booked for our upcoming cruise but I requested them to take us to Jungle Breeze for ziplining as it's one of the most popular. I'm sorry to hear you didn't like zip lining by the way. I'm glad they were able to get you and your son back down. I'm looking forward to our trip! Hopefully we get Iron.

I booked the A1 tour for last week on the Jewel. Had had numerous emails off Charlie prior and had even used and recommended him previously. We turned up and there was one of his workers who didn't know who we were and he wasn't doing our tour. He tried to palm us off on a taxi driver! I was so cross and upset. We ended up finding another tour operator. I have emailed Charlie and I am still waiting for a reply. I always booked private tours and after 36 cruises later he is the only person that has failed to turn up! We had a fantastic tour with Oscar Brown and would recommend him. Kimberley

Terryde you were on tbe Jewel with us. I am still awaiting an explaination from them as to why nobody was there to meet us. Guys I would really stay clear of them. I chose to ignore all the warnings simply because I had used them before. That was a big mistake please don't end up in tbe same position as we were in. I thought tbe guy could at least say sorry to us but he hasn't replied to my email. To be fair I gave him chance to reply before I posted anything negative. Kimberley

Kimberley, just curious if you went through the straw market to the other side? I only ask because we looked around the area in front of the straw market for a while and didn't see anyone. We thought we were stood up as well. Eventually we asked security and they said we had to go through the market to find okeydokey. We did find him on the other side.

Another note, is that taxi tours are not allowed to begin until the tour busses are gone. We were told to wait until 10am before looking for our taxi. Is it possible you were there too early.

Lastly, our driver's sign only said OKEYDOKEY in black letters. Anyone probably could have gone with him. I doubt they would have been picky. They really need to put names on the signs of those who have made the reservation. We had no way of knowing if the driver was really with okeydokey until we started to talk to him.

I know they really want the support of the cruise critic boards and are very aware of the PR they get here. Hopefully they will make some changes in order to get more favorable reviews.

Like I said earlier, this was the best tour we have ever been on. I couldn't recommend our driver more!

Archived