Christmas Ornaments in the Baltics

NKG6002

We saw a few in the tourist stores but we mainly bought local things such as miniature dolls in native costume, miniature wooden shoes, etc and adapted them for tree use.

If you think creatively you will find something in every port.

Good luck.

Were Christmas tree ornaments available in Amsterdam, Helsinki, Tallinin and Warrnemunde as well as St. Petersburg ? I'd like to have a "Baltic tree" next Christmas :) :) :)

The only Christmas ornaments I got were from St. Petersburg. They were miniature wooden Father Frosts (hand-carved, hand-painted) and dolls dressed in colorful traditional Russian dresses. If your ship is like ours, they'll have some in the duty-free shop after you leave Russia, but I didn't see any there that were as nice as the ones I got in St. Petersburg.

Were Christmas tree ornaments available in Amsterdam, Helsinki, Tallinin and Warrnemunde as well as St. Petersburg ? I'd like to have a "Baltic tree" next Christmas :) :) :)

We were on a Baltic Cruise in August 2005. I bought the little minature dolls dressed in their native costumes in each port. They have a tie attached for hanging on the tree. At Peterhof and at the Hermitage there will be street vendors with these dolls. The workmanship is amazing.

Each year on the tree they are enjoyed more & I look at them fondly remembering the wonderful cruise we had.

My wife collects glass or ceramic bells from different places. While we were at the market square in Helsinki, I saw this ceramic bell with a Christmas motif, so I bought it, trying to surprise my wife right there and then.

To my surprise she was at another stall buying a prettier one for herself. We had a good laugh, but she agreed to keep the one I got her and use it on our tree next Christmas.

I believe that the ladies were about $10each and the wooden ornaments (my favorites..of people doing things..hunting, cooking etc) were around $8 and I bought a small wood carving of Father Christmas, beautiful and cherished, but $50. I had expected them to be around $5 each..that is what I meant. They took US dollars there.

Sherry

I believe that the ladies were about $10each and the wooden ornaments (my favorites..of people doing things..hunting, cooking etc) were around $8 and I bought a small wood carving of Father Christmas, beautiful and cherished, but $50. I had expected them to be around $5 each..that is what I meant. They took US dollars there.

Sherry

I just unearthed my doll ornaments to check the prices. They're about 4-5 inches tall, beautifully costumed with ornate head dresses and porcelain (maybe?) faces. They're marked 6,00, which was 6 Euros each.

The wooden Father Frost ornaments from another shop are the size and shape of a large egg, only they have feet and kinda look like a Weeble (will wobble but won't fall down--remember?). They're marked 360, which I think was in roubles, or you could get 3 in a box for 1110. So that's $15 for one or $46 for 3 using the exchange rate at the time.

The larger Father Frost I purchased (he's maybe 5-6 inches tall and beautifully painted) was about $50-$75, I think. That price tag has been lost in the shuffle. :o

When in Amsterdam 2 years ago there was a "Christmas Shop" on the banks of one of the canals near the flower market. They had lovely things in there including the blue/ white china delft ornament I bought. I presume it is still there as it was doing VERY good business!

kate

We just got back from a Baltic cruise, and I also collected Christmas ornaments.

I got those Russian costume dolls for $10 each on the ship, and I also got some really cute wooden ornament sets that look like matroyska dolls, but they are the different characters of the Nativity (Mary, Joseph, angel, shepherd, wisemen), for $20 in the market stall and $40 on the ship.

When I returned, I decided I wanted more of both items to give as gifts, so I went looking on the internet. I found the dolls for $5-7 each, including shipping; and the ornament sets for $10-$15 (plus more variety), both on EBay. I just mention this to let you know that if you find something you really like but don't get enough of, there is a chance to get more when you get home, maybe even for a better price!

I think you will find Christmas ornaments in Stockmann's department store in Helsinki, and depending on how much you spend you may qualify for a tax refund (separate department in the store).

I bought a green Father Christmas (the original before Coca Cola showed up!), several carved wooden items and of course a reindeer or two! There may also be some glass baubles because Finland has a reputation for good artistic glass, often modern.

Might I suggest packing some bubble wrap in your cases and then rewrapping your treasures safely once you get back to your cabin so that you won't arrive home with shards and shattered memories .............

I just returned last week from the Baltic cruise. I bought two pretty ball shaped ornaments at the open air market in Helsinki. They are wooden and hand painted. I paid 5 Euros each (about $7.50) each. The open air market is a great place to visit and quite near the dock. Look for the place that makes crepes. They are huge and they sell many varieties. They also had great fresh vegetables and fruit. There was quite a nice selection of souveniers there.

Archived