Royal Fuel Surcharge coming down??

The $10 supplement was established at the height of the oil future prices, now that oil has come down significantly, when will royal follow by dropping or reducing the fuel surcharge. My only worry is now that its established and people aren't complaining when fuel prices reach "normal" levels the surcharge will not fall off. I hope it doesn't stay as a permanent calculation in our future cruises. Does anyone have any idea if royal has plans to follow the market?

Don't hold your breath.

Although oil prices have come down, the market is still very unstable. The airlines are still charging fuel surcharges and NWA has announced it will increase it's surcharge $80 per ticket come January:eek:.

The $10 supplement was established at the height of the oil future prices, now that oil has come down significantly, when will royal follow by dropping or reducing the fuel surcharge. My only worry is now that its established and people aren't complaining when fuel prices reach "normal" levels the surcharge will not fall off. I hope it doesn't stay as a permanent calculation in our future cruises. Does anyone have any idea if royal has plans to follow the market?

I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon.

Don't look for it to go away anytime soon. Until oil prices come back to normal and stabilizes, none are going to do away with it.

I don't know about Royal, but a competitor had a quote that they would readjust the surcharges when oil hit 80.00 a barrel and stayed there for 6 months. I suppose they are all pretty much in that ballpark.

I bet the cruise lines will never stop the fuel charges now. Funny thing is, I'm getting cruises booked with fuel charges and port taxes right now for less than I was 2 years ago.

WOW!!! Within a couple days of the FL AG settlement saying the lines could not charge a fuel supplement for those already booked at the time of the announcement, the port fees/taxes for my cruise went up over 70%! You seem to be saying that cabin costs have come down so much that the increases in port fees and fuel surcharges are not adding any cost to your trip. Boy, that has not been my experience.

Yes, Royal will be following the market - the cruise line market. As long as they, and other cruise lines, feel they can continue to charge it without hurting their business, they will.

Don't look for it to be reduced and/or eliminated. Surcharges are a way of doing business in the travel & leisure industry. Just look at airlines charging surcharges for fuel, baggage, meals, etc. Waste haulers are adding fuel charges to bills. The hotel industry has special room and convention taxes, alcohol surcharges, etc. :(

Archived