Day Early Debarkation?

We're toying with a cruise where the last island stop is St. Thomas, before it returns to San Juan the next morning, and backing it up with a land based vacation in St.Thomas for another week.

As long as we make it very well known to the ship's staff (purser, security, etc) that we want to "abandon" ship a day early by our own choice, and in writing, will they let us, rather than spending the last night on board? I'm not looking for any kind of "credit" for the "missed" night-it would just be an added cost to fly to SJ, go on the cruise, come back to SJ and then have to book another flight from SJ to STT, and then fly back from STT...

We are leaving the boat for a few days and getting back on.

Our cruise is 4 weeks long and we are getting of in Dubai and catching up with it in India.

Our request had to go from here in Australia to America and was approved.

Definately get it in writing as we have done from Royal Carribean before leaving.

Sure you shouldnt have any problems.

Caz

As both San Juan and St. Thomas are considered US ports, you may be liable for the Jones Act violation of $300 per person. Definitely check that out prior to your decision.:)

I could see it coming into play if St Thomas was the first port after leaving SJ (since that would mean using the ship as transportation between two consecutive US ports), but (making a small assumption here) the ship will stop at other foreign ports between SJ and its last port of St Thomas, I don't think it applies here. Just to be safe, I'd ask about that when talking to RCCL, though.

I could see it coming into play if St Thomas was the first port after leaving SJ (since that would mean using the ship as transportation between two consecutive US ports), but (making a small assumption here) the ship will stop at other foreign ports between SJ and its last port of St Thomas, I don't think it applies here. Just to be safe, I'd ask about that when talking to RCCL, though.

Actually, the reason they would be okay is because there is an exemption in the PVSA for San Juan and the Virgin Islands. Without the exemption, this would NOT work unless their cruise visited Aruba or Curacao (by getting off in St. Thomas it makes it a cruise between 2 different US ports which normally requires a stop at a distant foreign ports, if it weren't for the exemption).

They do still need to prearrange it with RCCL as there are immigration and customs issues to prearrange. There is a form available on RCCL's website if you want to arrange to leave a cruise early.

Here's a link to what RCCL says about taking a partial cruise - http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000OUZvfePom71qwIzVC9c2KPd:12hbiocak?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Purchase&faqId=623&faqSubjectId=322&faqType=faq

If the link doesn't work go to www.rccl.com, go to Customer Support, go to Frequently Asked Questions, Before You Board, and what currently says ¿Puedo tomar un crucero parcial? but should say in English something similiar to Can I Take a Partial Cruise?

Archived