Ruby Princess VS RCCL Independence of the Seas

GSRDPM

I am trying to arrange a mini family reunion cruise. (From Texas: Myself, wife, 10YO daughter, 13YO son), (From Maine: Brother-in-law, wife, 6YO daughter, 4YO son), (NY: Mother and Father-in-Law) - M-I-L has some mobility issues and may be PT in a wheelchair).

We have cruised on RCCL (ROS) as well as NCL (Seaward) before.

We are looking to travel either on Ruby (7 night - Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Bahamas) or Independence (6 night - Mosta Maya, Belize, Cozumel) in March 2009.

We are getting the lowest cost interior rooms and Ruby seems to run us about $400 less cruise only/ $1100 with air.

I like the ports better for Ruby (Wife and I would spend every vacation if GC if we could), but the in-laws feel that Independence would be more fun for the kids.

Help!

There is no doubt that Independence has more to do for the kids. Those 3 ships are unlike any other on the sea.

But, they will still have a good time on Ruby. It's not like they will have a bad time if you don't do Independence. ;)

Since it's a family cruise, you have to figure out what's better for the whole family, and that includes YOU too. :) If you would be happier going on a ship with a different itinerary, then go with Ruby.

You do know that Liberty and Freedom have almost the same itinerary as Ruby right? They have a Western Carib itinerary that goes to GC, Coz, Jamaica, Labadee

Thanks for the fast reply, crusinmama06!

I took a look at the other RCCL ships and like the itinerary, but they each run about $1K more than Independence ($1400 more than Ruby). I guess the extra day makes the difference.

I am having trouble getting an idea as to what activities and features would be available on Ruby...

It looks like I may need to choose based on which is more important - Ship or ports...

Anyone else have any input?

We are sailing on Princess in 2 months with our two dd and i have done alot of research on Princess for kids. Everything has been very positive. I have heard that RCL does have more family type activities (rock climbing, skating, etc), but my TA feels that for the amount of time we will use these activities versus the price difference, Princess is a good, solid cruise option for families. I haven't cruised on either lines, but from what I read, both kids/teen clubs are pretty equal. Both are brand new ships.

I would decide based on itineries and price.

I have not done Independence of the Seas but did just get off Grand Princess, which is similar to Ruby.

There is plenty to do on Princess- including two heated freshwater pools, six hot tubs, a great kids program, a videoarcade, movies under the stars outside, mini golf, and great food and service. There was an illustionist and a comedian/juggler on our sailing that were hits with the kids.

I think that your family will have fun on Princess. Ruby is a large ship, so when considering someone with mobility issues- I pick a cabin midship- so you aren't always walking from one end to the other.

There are actually 4 pools on Ruby - freshwater which is always nice. Two are adult only which gives the adults of your group a really nice get away when the kids are in the kids/teen clubs.

Also 24 hr buffet, pool games -maybe not hairy chest type but fun to watch. Movies under the Stars is great and Princess does it well with blankets at night and free popcorn. Free ice cream in the buffet between 3:3-4:30.

You can choose anytime seating for dinner or traditional - early or late.

I've really enjoyed my cruises on Princess and would pick their iteniary.

That said, I'd love to try RCCL one of these days, but I just haven't caught a good price.

We we decided. We are going with RCCL Independence for a few reasons..

1. more options for the kids, especailly if weather is unfavorable (an issue with our last cruise).

2. Part of our group wants to book a cruise air package. RCCL will guarantee the air price at time of booking. Princess says that the air price is subject to change until the package is paid in full. (Not due until the end of the year)

3. Independence offerred a nice handicap accessible room (twice as big as the standard inside cabin) at the lowest price level, very near the rest of our party's cabins. On Ruby, in order to get the handicap accessible room, that cabin would have to be upgraded (more money) and we would not be near them unless we upgraded our cabins a couple of levels, too.

4. My son is motion sensitive and we would prefer a mid ship location as well - Ruby's lower priced inside cabins are situated near the bow. To be midship, the price is a little higher.

In the end, the initial price benefit of Ruby was erased once the cabin details were looked into further. We will enjoy it, I'm sure. I would love to try princess in the future. The movies under the stars sounds cool.

Thanks again, everyone!

Archived