Fashion Klutz Needs Help!

goLC

I won this dress on EBAY; sure hope it fits! Assuming that it will, what in the world do I wear with it, shoe and accessory-wise? It's not a style or color I usually wear. I really don't know what possessed me to buy it! But I think it looks FUN! For shoes, I've had achilles surgery and can't wear anything on my right foot with a "back" on it, because it always rubs on my scar. I can do a thin strap, just not a full "back" on it. (guess I could always wear a really cute shoe on my left foot and a mule on the right! No? :D Anyway, I'm clueless anda2ea_1.JPG need all the advice I can get! Oh, here's the dress:

since the neckline is rather a statement in itself, my choice would be some really really fabbbb ear rings..as to not break the neck line up. blingy if chiffon-y, or with hair pulled back so "shoulder dusters"..if not chiffon-y, but rather a study type fabric..some gold or silver fancy hoops..maybe w/red stones in a circle..go to your local Accessories store at a mall near you..usually under $10..or add leopard shoes.and bag...yummo!

Oh, I hadn't even thought about leopard! I'll search for that now! I had been looking up silver/pewter/patent, and wasn't finding anything that grabbed me. My hair is short, couldn't wear it "up" if I wanted to! That helps alot; thanks so much! Any other ideas floating around out there?

What a cute dress!

I think I'd wait until after getting the dress, trying it on to see if you like it first. Then if you do, take the dress with you on a shopping expedition :) There's nothing better than trying the dress with the accessories and on your body to see if you really like it all together.

I LOVE that dress. I love the vintage lines to it .. and if you go to ebay and search for vintage rhinestone jewelry .. they always have some wonderful pieces that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Now if someone finds sling back or backless leopard shoes .. PLEASE PLEASE please post where . I have searched high and low. I have a tendon issue and I can't wear a shoe with a full back either.

I agree with the suggestion to skip a necklace. With short hair, bare shoulders, I think your earrings need to make a statement. Don't go for ditsy, antique-y, or understated.

A dramatic black enamel bangle bracelet or big, bold flower petal Chanel-like ring would be perfect! Pick one, not both.

For shoes, I'd go with either a black patent leather or an animal print and skip metallic, as it would blend too much. I think you need a strong color/pattern to balance out the red.

Can you wear a slingback shoe? If you can, an elegant slingback pump would be great. If you go with a black patent and if you have shapely legs, I'd opt for a pair of black lace hosiery, or black fishnets which are sooo au courant. If you find an animal print shoe, I'd stick with either a sheer hose or a black hose depending on how dark the shoe is - for example, with a black and white animal print dark hose wouldn't work, but with a black/brown print, it would as long as they're very sheer. Nude sheer would also work.

If you have to wear an open back shoe like a slide or a mule, then bare legs with a sandal-like mule, and then bare legs or very sheer nude hose with a closed toe/open back mule.

Silver or gold toned jewelry both work well with the red dress, (as does black enamel, or onyx) so go with whatever works best with your hair and skin color and/or depending on which way you go with shoe color.

Wow!! You all are great! Now I have a variety of ideas, so I do think I will wait until the dress arrives before I start buying things to go with it! You know, I haven't tried a slingback in a long time; that MIGHT work. I know I want my shoes to feel comfortable on that bad foot! So now I think I will take a Saturday to go shopping in Nashville - we're about an hour from there, take one of my cruise friends, and finish it off! (Unless, of course, it looks like crap when it gets here or doesn't fit - then it will be back to square 1!) Kathy, if I find leopard shoes I will post them on here! I've only looked on EBAY and wasn't finding anything grabbing me, got started on zappos and then got distracted with my teenager... Anyway, I sure like the ideas! Feel free to keep them coming, the more I have as options, the more likely I am to find something that looks great!

luvmytbear - looks like maybe we have the same taste in clothes! I could have gone either way, but decided after reading your comments that maybe this red one would have more give than you said your lovely dress had... I don't like my clothes to feel tight at all usually. I at least want to feel able to move! I'd ordered Spanx (yes, off EBAY) and they came today - I ordered the size it said to order, but they still feel like they may roll at the waist. I'll have to actually wear them with clothes I guess to see if that happens! :D

814Eue5r%2BcS._AA280_.jpg

Would these work with that red dress? I know... I'm supposed to be waiting 'til it comes in, but I've still been "window shopping" on the computer tonight... I think these are cute, but I'm not sure they'd do anything for the dress. Opinions?

6220-463782-d.jpg

I'm thinking these are cute, too; I seem to be leaning toward leopard print, but in my mind, I see black patent... whereas originally I thought metallic! You know, I teach middle school, and normally I am very decisive and direct. With this fashion stuff, I'm all over the place! My students would crack up if they saw how the details are confusing me!:eek:

Kristy,

Thanks for the pics! I LOVE that first pair... I agree the others (& most of the ones I'd looked at) didn't have a strap and were lower heeled, but that first pair you posted are HOT! Of course, I wouldn't look very hot with a twisted ankle, which could happen (I'm not only a fashion klutz!)

Henepup - I remember you! You helped "nurse" me through surgery about this time last year.... I'm glad to say the "girls" are in great shape and that surgery was one of the best things I've ever done! I'm like you - I do like those zebra-ish shoes. I may have to buy multiples!!!:eek:

goLC,

Are you planning on being bare legged or will you wear hosiery?

The choices you've shown are all sandals that would look best with bare legs.

Most of the choices I think have too much brown in them. I think you need to have more black.

Yes, bare-legged works best for me. My legs are actually my best feature - I walk alot. And being in the Bahamas, well, I despise hosiery at home, don't want to wear there unless I really have to. I was thinking the same thing about the browns in the shoes. What do you think about the ones Henepup liked (black/white) or the ones Kristy posted? I really like both of those, but think I'd probably be most comfortable in the heel on the black/white ones.

3034-174649-d.jpg

Now thesse are sorta hot... more zebra-ish. Would these look great or just okay?

I was thinking that a really flashy wide rhinestone bracelet and matching earrings would look great with the dress. Kind of keeps the retro, Marilyn Monroe look going. So, I like these shoes the best if I were going to go that route. I love all the other leopard shoes too, but these are my favorites if I were choosing.

I LOVE that dress. I love the vintage lines to it .. and if you go to ebay and search for vintage rhinestone jewelry .. they always have some wonderful pieces that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Now if someone finds sling back or backless leopard shoes .. PLEASE PLEASE please post where . I have searched high and low. I have a tendon issue and I can't wear a shoe with a full back either.

NMX3766_mn.jpgmanolo blahnik's from neiman marcus

2116_71344_mm.jpg?wid=230&hei=331&qlt=95&op_sharpen=1Chadwick's of boston

ninew262819_145180_lg.jpgAnne Klein on shoebuy.com

simg_t_tb000vzeu2i51l1gqlsbbl_sl500_jpg110?rm_____D2l_rhmRNon yahoo shopping this whole page is full of them http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Au4nX3IJ9kLFkQSO1OYaSHwWoK8F;_ylu=X3oDMTBkamR2YmZxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2hiYXI-?p=leopard+print+slingbacks&did=

1311477090_LG.jpgThese come in leopard which can be seen here at the bottom of the page

beautiful dress, btw, but I'm a fashion klutz as well...so no further help on that account

Archived