Passenger Vessel Services Act changes for Hawaii cruises rejected

DaveFr

The proposed changes to the Passenger Vessel Services Act, which would have affected Hawaiian cruises from West Coast ports, has been rejected by the Office of Management and Budget and returned to Homeland Security for reconsideration. The OMB said a need for the changes had not been shown.

See: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2728.

Dave

I am just happy it didn't get passed.....at least yet. :-)

I took NCLA only because I wanted to just do the islands. I hate to see monopolies anywhere. Let them compete with other cruiselines for Hawaii. I am not stirring up NCL controversy. I just feel like they should not be the only choice.

Thanks Jen and Terry! It is totally unfair that NCL is trying to monopolize Hawaii. Obviously since they went from 3 ships to 1, they are having a hard time making a profit there.

Let's hope this doesnt go any further.

We are Booked in March R/T San Diego to Hawaii on the Mercury and are looking foward to the island's and the many sea Days.Just A few hr. in ESENADA, MEXICO where there is nothing 7:00PM to 11:45PM. . This is one reason we picked this Cruise (NO LONG AIR TO HAWAII) Able to relax on the ship to and from

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

I have had a hard time wrapping my brain around the whole issue, and still do, which I openly admit. We had planned an Infinity cruise to HI some time back only to have that cruise cancelled, but do think that if there could be a RT from same port to port on the west coast we'd like to consider taking it to HI, but then again, the Mex Riv, which we really liked SD to SD isn't so good anymore either.:(

We have done Hawaii twice, the first time being a repositioning cruise where we flew into Honolulu to board the ship. The second being a RT LA to Hawaii. We definitely liked the second one better.

Flying from Chicago to HI was 9 hrs w/a 1 hr layover in San Francisco to change planes, making it a very long day. We had elected to come in 2 days early so we were getting over our jet lag by the time we boarded but met many people at open seating dinner who could not do that and they were really beat.

Taking the "ocean voyage" part going and coming was such a treat and flying home from LA a piece of cake.

Maybe if NCLA offered a better product with better service & food, they would have been able to keep 3 ships in the islands.

Archived