Who takes all the stuff for formal nights on 5 night cruises?

isabellmybell

We always take the tux and formal dress....except this coming cruise, when we will be on the motorcycles for a week before the cruise, and a few days after...:)

My DH says there is no room for the tux and stuff, so going to have to settle for dressy casual, instead.

He still can't believe that I booked a cruise during the bike trip...I figure that we are going to be in Florida, and we have the time...He should know better by now!

We did the 7 day southern cruise out of puerto rico in June. We did not pack all of that fancy stuff because carnival is relaxed now. I'm very thankful, because it is a vacation!!!!!! I saw shorts, polo shirts, jeans, sandals on elegant night. Everyone was greeted the same with a big smile as they entered the dining room. I even saw a baseball cap worn on one of the regular dinner nights.

We did, on our only 5-day. Lately, it's the only time of the year I get to wear my tuxedo. :( I have to say, though, I think women have it much easier, since they have more options; they can look smashingly formal in just a simple lightweight cocktail dress and sexy strappy shoes that weigh next to nothing. We poor guys have to bring the tux, shirt, formal shoes... Good Lord -- the things we do to look good for you! And do you appreciate it?

:p

We poor guys have to bring the tux, shirt, formal shoes... Good Lord -- the things we do to look good for you! And do you appreciate it?

:p

Yes we appreciate it.... nothing looks as attractive as a man in a tux.. My DH knows how much I appreciate it, back in the cabin afterwards!!!;)

Leo Jay... I'm sure your efforts are not wasted!!!

Yes we appreciate it.... nothing looks as attractive as a man in a tux.. My DH knows how much I appreciate it, back in the cabin afterwards!!!;)

Leo Jay... I'm sure your efforts are not wasted!!!

Mine's packing his military formals, showing off his fine physique after a year in Iraq, CAN'T WAIT! :D

Mine's packing his military formals, showing off his fine physique after a year in Iraq, CAN'T WAIT! :D

You'll be getting many jealous looks from the other ladies... IMHO men look gorgeous in military formals!!!

Formal Nights Are Part Of Cruising It Is Another One Of The Wonderful Aspects Of Getting Away From Real Life, For Those Of Us Who Live A The Normal Middle Class Life. Its Always A Good Time To Be Able To Dress Up Fancy And Go Out For The Night. In Fact We Dress Up Every Night Of Our Cruises For Supper. Then Very Formal On Formal Night:) :)

Formal Nights Are Part Of Cruising It Is Another One Of The Wonderful Aspects Of Getting Away From Real Life, For Those Of Us Who Live A The Normal Middle Class Life. Its Always A Good Time To Be Able To Dress Up Fancy And Go Out For The Night. In Fact We Dress Up Every Night Of Our Cruises For Supper. Then Very Formal On Formal Night:) :)

I agree. We sailed NCL and loved the freestyle dining. People complained about others not dressing up when they reported back. I just told my hubby that dinner is nice dress every night on Carnival (leaving tomorrow), I said "no freestyle" He prefers the Freestyle :rolleyes: on NCL. I'm dressing up every night either way.:p

As a long-time fan of historic ocean liners, and the whole dress-up experience, but brand new cruiser (just back from my first ever) . . . I must say I'm surprised by how many folks apparently OWN a tux.

I'm one of the better-dressed guys of my age group (30) that I know (NOT that that's saying much), but I'm curious how one comes to own such a rarely used piece of apparel? I've been to the usual rounds of weddings, and never used one, been to some awfully nice restaurants stateside, but the most I've ever seen for a dress code is coat/tie.

I'm just curious; were they bought specifically for frequent cruises? Leftovers from past weddings? Necessary for certain professions?

Don't get me wrong, I WISH I owned one . . . just hard to envision getting one that I'll wear once when I'm 32 and, barring a very occasional cruise on a certain line, may virtually never wear again.

As a long-time fan of historic ocean liners, and the whole dress-up experience, but brand new cruiser (just back from my first ever) . . . I must say I'm surprised by how many folks apparently OWN a tux.

I'm one of the better-dressed guys of my age group (30) that I know (NOT that that's saying much), but I'm curious how one comes to own such a rarely used piece of apparel? I've been to the usual rounds of weddings, and never used one, been to some awfully nice restaurants stateside, but the most I've ever seen for a dress code is coat/tie.

I'm just curious; were they bought specifically for frequent cruises? Leftovers from past weddings? Necessary for certain professions?

Don't get me wrong, I WISH I owned one . . . just hard to envision getting one that I'll wear once when I'm 32 and, barring a very occasional cruise on a certain line, may virtually never wear again.

Most of the tuxes which you will see onboard are likely rentals (from Carnival). I want to say the rental fee is about $70 or so, and that includes (at least on 7 night sailings) two shirts.

After renting one on 2-3 occasions I went ahead and bought a nice one at Jos. A. Bank. I waited for their (very predictable) 50% off sale - picking it up for under $300. I had already spent a couple of hundred on rentals. Granted you still need a couple of accessories, but if you cruise enough (that's the only place I wear it - thus far) it "pays for itself" over time.

Tom

Most of the tuxes which you will see onboard are likely rentals (from Carnival). I want to say the rental fee is about $70 or so, and that includes (at least on 7 night sailings) two shirts.

After renting one on 2-3 occasions I went ahead and bought a nice one at Jos. A. Bank. I waited for their (very predictable) 50% off sale - picking it up for under $300. I had already spent a couple of hundred on rentals. Granted you still need a couple of accessories, but if you cruise enough (that's the only place I wear it - thus far) it "pays for itself" over time.

Tom

Gee, I didn't realize that many people rented tuxes on board the ship. I just figured most people brought their own. Seems they are relatively inexpensive to purchase compared to renting. Last week, DH just bought his second tux in three years. Like you, he finds a good buy, usually at S&K and then I just purchase a new shirt each year, and and new cummerbund set. Plus I know it is going to fit him right, without having to worry whether the pants will be to short, or the jacket sleeves to long, etc...!

When I was younger, I attended a few BT weddings, and a few BT events for work, so it made sense to own my own. Buy good quality in a classic style, and if you avoid middle age spread, it'll serve you for years. On the other hand, if they don't float your boat :) or you don't anticipate a need for one, I don't think I'd buy or even rent one just for cruising purposes. A dark grey suit would be a better overall investment.

Archived