Labadee jetski & parasail excursions

gdpups

I'm looking at excursions for Labadee and considering the jetski & parasail excursions. My older kids would like to do both, so I was wondering if anyone who has done one or the other has any comments about them?? Are they worth it??

We did the jet ski excursion on our Voyager cruise two years ago and had a blast. They didn't rent out the jet skis for private use,(unless things have changed since then) you have to follow a guide. They will stop at different places and point out different points of interest along the way.

My younger ds was about 3 weeks away from turning 16, so he had to double up with his older brother, but dh and I each got our own.

A funny thing happened during our excursion, while the guide had us all gathered around him talking to us, one of the locals paddled up into the middle of our group and tried to sell us stuff out of his canoe. :eek:

They didn't rent out the jet skis for private use,(unless things have changed since then) you have to follow a guide. They will stop at different places and point out different points of interest along the way.

They still will not let you take them out by yourself. There are very shallow reefs (in 6" of water) that sneak up on you. If you want to jet ski on your own, I would recommend Cozumel if that's on your itinerary.

A funny thing happened during our excursion, while the guide had us all gathered around him talking to us, one of the locals paddled up into the middle of our group and tried to sell us stuff out of his canoe. :eek:

This happened to us in July as well. The only difference was that there were about 8 locals selling their stuff. We were there about 10 minutes because they keep going from Jet Ski to Jet Ski.

This is part of the tour now because our guide said to us that he forgot to mention this to us beforehand.

We did the jet ski excursion on our Voyager cruise two years ago and had a blast. They didn't rent out the jet skis for private use,(unless things have changed since then) you have to follow a guide. They will stop at different places and point out different points of interest along the way.

My younger ds was about 3 weeks away from turning 16, so he had to double up with his older brother, but dh and I each got our own.

The same canoe sold me a cute trinket box. That was on one of our Voyager cruises.

OP, We enjoyed both Jet skiing and parasailing and will probably do both again in December.

I'm looking at excursions for Labadee and considering the jetski & parasail excursions. My older kids would like to do both, so I was wondering if anyone who has done one or the other has any comments about them?? Are they worth it??

We have done both and the kids and DH definitely enjoyed the jet skiis. From what I understand, that is the usual part of the tour. When you are stopped looking at points of interest, the natives come up in their canoes / kayaks to sell various little items. Enjoy!

I did both the same day on Explorer in 2002 at Labadee and loved both. The Jet Skis are "follow the leader" but those who want to go fast get to go fast, and those who want to go slower pull up the rear... it did not diminish the fun at all. The view from the parasailing is incredible.

This happened to us in July as well. The only difference was that there were about 8 locals selling their stuff. We were there about 10 minutes because they keep going from Jet Ski to Jet Ski.

This is part of the tour now because our guide said to us that he forgot to mention this to us beforehand.

Yeah, "part of the tour":rolleyes: You pay good money to ride a jet ski and are forced to sit through a sales pitch. There's plenty of that in the craft market, which I enjoy. But I wouldn't appreciate part of my jet ski tour being devoted to it.

DD and I experienced the same thing last May and frankly, being crowded by all the guys made us very uncomfortable.

DD drove our jetski and had never driven one before. The fact that she had to drive faster than she felt comfortable doing with her level of experience was a downer too. We stayed in the back and let every one else go ahead, but we really didn't enjoy this excursion.

just curious how are you meant to buy things, i wouldnt be bringing my wallet out there. is there somewhere to put this or ?

If you buy something they give you a sheet of paper with the price on it. When you finish your tour there are locals there to greet you and you pay them. The locals that sell the stuff contact the others with a cell phone. The jet skis are all numbered so they know who purchased something.

There is a compartment with a cover on the jet ski for you to store the items that you purchased.

If you buy something they give you a sheet of paper with the price on it. When you finish your tour there are locals there to greet you and you pay them. The locals that sell the stuff contact the others with a cell phone. The jet skis are all numbered so they know who purchased something.

There is a compartment with a cover on the jet ski for you to store the items that you purchased.

What a convienient little set up they have there;)

We did the parasailing and the waverunners at Labadee in 06. I enjoyed the parasailing very much.

The waverunner was difficult for me to deal with; I have no talent for that sort of thing it seems. I'm a big strong girl, but that whole ordeal I will never repeat; I could barely control that waverunner. It was much bigger than the little jet skis I am accustomed to from my vacations spent in the Florida Keys.

I also was thrown off by the locals; I never knew that they come up to you during part of the excursion; I was also clue-free about their situation in their country. If ever I go back to Labadee, I will be totally prepared with a backpack filled with school supplies and other gadgets and useful goodies from the hardware store, and I'll just walk up to the first local I see and hand it to them as a gift. Then I'll get a float and spend the day going nowhere! :D

Leslie

Ok, here's my opinion:

We've been on the waverunners in Labadee 2 times. The first was fantastic! Smooth water, learned alot, NO locals selling anything.

The second time it was rough, seas (It was really hard to tell how rough the waters were going to be until you got pretty far out). I was 4th in line behind my two sons and husband, to make a long story short I made a sharp turn trying to keep up and flew off the waverunner (broke my rib). I'm not a beginner on waverunners, but I do believe the rough seas, and the feeling that you had to go as fast as possible was a factor.

There were at least four locals that canoed out to us that second time.

IMO I think you sould try the waverunners at least once, but if you're not somewhat experienced place yourself in one of the last positions. Don't worry about the locals, a polite "no thank you" will do, just like on land.

We did the parasailing. It was fun, but don't feel the need to do it again. I was fine but others might get a bit seasick when the boats stop to "set things up". The boat was VERY rocky. Everthing went very smoothly and the staff was great.

Thankyou for that :)

Ok, here's my opinion:

We've been on the waverunners in Labadee 2 times. The first was fantastic! Smooth water, learned alot, NO locals selling anything.

The second time it was rough, seas (It was really hard to tell how rough the waters were going to be until you got pretty far out). I was 4th in line behind my two sons and husband, to make a long story short I made a sharp turn trying to keep up and flew off the waverunner (broke my rib). I'm not a beginner on waverunners, but I do believe the rough seas, and the feeling that you had to go as fast as possible was a factor.

There were at least four locals that canoed out to us that second time.

IMO I think you sould try the waverunners at least once, but if you're not somewhat experienced place yourself in one of the last positions. Don't worry about the locals, a polite "no thank you" will do, just like on land.

We did the parasailing. It was fun, but don't feel the need to do it again. I was fine but others might get a bit seasick when the boats stop to "set things up". The boat was VERY rocky. Everything was very organized and the staff was great.

sorry.....................................................................................................................

Archived