Cankles--Any tips to avoid ankle swelling?

fabulousmindy

I am convinced it is the ships water. And I drink a lot of water.

I never had swollen ankles until I started cruising. After every cruise I came home with swollen ankles. I blamed it on the time I spent in the salt water.

On one cruise, I brought my own water. No swollen ankles that trip.

2 cruises back, there was a mixup with my son and I did not have my own water. Guess what? Swollen ankles.

I have not changed one other thing. I still eat what looks good, I still do water sports.

I know people will go on and on about there is no salt in the water, but my body apparently thinks different.

So for me, I avoid ships water when I can and I do not come home swollen.

YMMV

Drinking water from the tap on the ship will increase your salt intake, simply from the filtration process they use to clean the water!

Amen to this advice... I take a diuretic when I need one and eat a lot of bananans on a cruise ship. My Blood Pressure medicine includes a diuretic but if I need a little more than that I take it .. but I found out really quickly that this does cause horrible cramping in the legs if I don't do something to keep the potassium up.

I do the same here..no blood pressure meds for me, but I do tend to get leg cramps, especially when I'm doing alot of walking... so I make sure I have a banana with breakfast, without fail. It definitely helps.

Hi there-

I know other people have experienced the cankle phenomenon. On about day 4 my ankles are unrecognizable. They puff up to about 2 or 3 times their normal size.

I am 39 and I do drink a lot of DOD while on board. Does anyone have any tips to reduce this swelling?

Thanks!

Water, water, water! Also, you could try an over the counter water pill or even go to your doctor. This will help you retain less water. The ones you get from you doctor will be stronger and therefore work better, my mom has gotten them prior to cruising because she has the same problems.

Drinking water from the tap on the ship will increase your salt intake, simply from the filtration process they use to clean the water!

Reverse osmosis filtration does not in any way involve using salt. A home water softener and most of the big brands of bottled water ad salt.

Doc

Hi there-

I know other people have experienced the cankle phenomenon. On about day 4 my ankles are unrecognizable. They puff up to about 2 or 3 times their normal size.

I am 39 and I do drink a lot of DOD while on board. Does anyone have any tips to reduce this swelling?

Thanks!

Drink more water and avoid soups, and fried foods, and anything that is cooked on the ship.

The real problem is that everything is full of salt and water and time are the only real cures.

Well hello fellow Buckeye! I have to ask - is your avatar picture at the Horseshoe? A bit small for me to tell...Can't wait for the games this year and to see how decent our seats are!

And back on topic - I take Midol with me every cruise. I retain a lot of water when I cruise - I prefer to blame the heat and humidity, not the DODs. :D I take 2 Midol each morning and it cures the puffiness (as well as any other alcohol related issues like headache or tiredness...:o )

The photo is at Perdue a couple years ago!! Can't afford tickets here although this year it might be easier;)

Last time I did water pill it didn't do anything, I wonder if the Midol would work...

As someone said for long drives or a flight where compression stookings. This has really helped me so I don't start the vacation with swollen legs. I do take a diuretic as well.

Archived