Cankles--Any tips to avoid ankle swelling?

fabulousmindy

Hi there-

I know other people have experienced the cankle phenomenon. On about day 4 my ankles are unrecognizable. They puff up to about 2 or 3 times their normal size.

I am 39 and I do drink a lot of DOD while on board. Does anyone have any tips to reduce this swelling?

Thanks!

I always have that problem, and nothing seemed to work. Last year we were in cozumel, and I went to a pharmacy and got some fluid pills. All it took was one pill, and within 4 hours it was mostly gone. Only take the pill when you know you will be close to a bathroom. You will be running there every 15 minutes.

Maybe that wasn't the healthiest thing to do, but it sure worked for me.

I also bought the "water pills" in Mexico. They may not be the smartest way to solve the problem, but in a pinch they're great!

Otherwise, like another poster said, a glass of water fr every adult beverage really helps!

I have this problem too....no matter what I do when I am on vacation my ankles swell double their normal size. Elevating them does help a little. Usually after a couople of days back home they are back to normal. It is probably the diet....more salt, rich food and fat than usual....but it sure it good!!;)

I also bought the "water pills" in Mexico. They may not be the smartest way to solve the problem, but in a pinch they're great!

Keep in mind that with any "water pill", potassium loss will be an issue, possibly causing cramping in your muscles. In addition, taking a potassium supplement to offset this can be risky; too much potassium can be really dangerous.

Skip the salt on the margaritas. Don't salt everything on your plate. Don't stuff your feet into shoes that are too small. Put your feet up whenever possible. Exercise, even if it's only a brisk walk. Drink lots of water. Tea and coffee can also have a diuretic effect without nearly as much risk.

DON'T TAKE ANY MEDS WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S OK(Especially something you buy in a foriegn country!)!!!

I have special socks, I get a prescription for from my Dr. I ware them when I fly no matter how hot it is. I don't take them off untill I have to. Other then that I also drink alot of water, cut down on the salt. Keep my feet up. Now when I see older people with shorts and weird socks on I don't think twice, they are the smart ones. I still can't ware them with shorts or capri's. For flying they are a god sent. Good Luck, Lynn

Keep in mind that with any "water pill", potassium loss will be an issue, possibly causing cramping in your muscles. In addition, taking a potassium supplement to offset this can be risky; too much potassium can be really dangerous.

Amen to this advice... I take a diuretic when I need one and eat a lot of bananans on a cruise ship. My Blood Pressure medicine includes a diuretic but if I need a little more than that I take it .. but I found out really quickly that this does cause horrible cramping in the legs if I don't do something to keep the potassium up.

Hi there-

I know other people have experienced the cankle phenomenon. On about day 4 my ankles are unrecognizable. They puff up to about 2 or 3 times their normal size.

I am 39 and I do drink a lot of DOD while on board. Does anyone have any tips to reduce this swelling?

Thanks!

Well hello fellow Buckeye! I have to ask - is your avatar picture at the Horseshoe? A bit small for me to tell...Can't wait for the games this year and to see how decent our seats are!

And back on topic - I take Midol with me every cruise. I retain a lot of water when I cruise - I prefer to blame the heat and humidity, not the DODs. :D I take 2 Midol each morning and it cures the puffiness (as well as any other alcohol related issues like headache or tiredness...:o )

Wow the timing of your thread is amazing.Last week I gain a colosal 7 lbs in water( medication related).the doctor something very simple will solve the problem.Drink water to get rid of water.My ankles,kness,waist and other parts were unrecognizable.I sloshed when I walked my BP was 143/104 and I was bloated beyond belief.On Friday just past I went on a med that has a diretic in it and lost 7 lbs between friday am and sunday am( wow! weight watchers can't do that).On to present day. I am still down on my water weight gain I actually lost a lb of my own not just water.I drink 1.5 Litres( sorry don't know what that is in Imperial) and am well. BP is down to 127/72.

I would not try a diretic with out Dr consent.But take the advise she gave me..Drink water to lose water.

If your cabin has a couch in it, take one of the cushions off the couch and put it under the covers at night in your bed. Those cushions are very firm, and even just those four inches or so of elevation can really help -- along with drinking lotsa water!

I have special socks, I get a prescription for from my Dr. I ware them when I fly no matter how hot it is. I don't take them off untill I have to. Other then that I also drink alot of water, cut down on the salt. Keep my feet up. Now when I see older people with shorts and weird socks on I don't think twice, they are the smart ones. I still can't ware them with shorts or capri's. For flying they are a god sent. Good Luck, Lynn

This is excellent advice. My husband had a DVT (blood clot) in his leg years ago and we got these socks for him as he still flys and drives often. He wears them on flights and on long drives. When his legs and ankles swell at home, I have him put the socks on before bed...in the morning he's "normal" again...well, at least his legs are, LOL. He got them from a medical supply store...he had a prescription but didn't think he ended up needing it. Make sure to get the "good" ones that are like super lycra/spandex stuff...they are tough to pull on at times but the "looser" ones don't work worth a darn.

Mary

Swollen ankles, feet and legs, referred to medically as edema, occur when fluid is retained in the spaces between body cells. While edema typically affects the feet, ankles and lower legs, it can also impact any area of the body, causing systemic symptoms.

Causes:

Edema can be caused by a serious condition of the kidney, heart, liver or blood vessels, but many other factors can contribute to its onset, including:

• Eating a poor diet high in salt and carbohydrates
  • Abusing laxatives
  • Abusing diuretics
  • Abusing drugs
  • Taking birth control or hormone replacement therapy pills
  • Pregnancy and PMS
  • Sodium retention
  • Varicose veins and history of phlebitis
  • Allergic reactions
  • Neuromuscular disorders
  • Trauma

Symptoms:

Initially, the feet, ankles and legs will appear swollen as the day progresses, but after a period of time, the swelling will set in first thing in the morning and continue to worsen throughout the day. Long-term edema causes pitting: When you press on the swollen area for a few seconds, you will notice an indentation in that area. Continued swelling can cause skin ulcerations.

Over time, other symptoms will develop:

• High blood pressure
  • Headaches
  • Increased urination
  • Palpitations
  • Swollen hands and/or wrists
  • Puffy eyes
  • Weight gain

Relief and Prevention:

The hallmark of treatment is to reduce foot, leg and ankle swelling, and the first line of defense: leg elevation. Elevate legs above the level of the heart, which puts minimal pressure on the backs of the knees and thighs and lower back. Just sitting in a reclining chair in front of the TV is a great way to elevate your legs. Many products, for use at home or at work, can also help reduce swelling.

Other aids include:

• Leg wedges to elevate the feet while sleeping.
  • Support socks and stocking, either over-the-counter or custom-made.
    • Support socks and stockings come in various gradients depending on the pressure needed, and various lengths depending on the level of the edema.

[*]Proper fitting shoes and socks. Buy new shoes in the afternoon to get the best fit.

Techniques to help decrease swelling:

• Increase muscle activity with walking.
  • Avoid standing in place for long periods of time.
  • Avoid sitting with the feet dependent.
  • Limit salt intake.
  • Do not abuse diuretics, but a short-term course may be helpful.
  • Do not abuse laxatives.
  • Drink plenty of water.
  • Avoid contraceptive pills and hormone replacement therapy if possible.
  • Use a compressions pump to help fluid return to the blood vessels.

Well hello fellow Buckeye! I have to ask - is your avatar picture at the Horseshoe? A bit small for me to tell...Can't wait for the games this year and to see how decent our seats are!

And back on topic - I take Midol with me every cruise. I retain a lot of water when I cruise - I prefer to blame the heat and humidity, not the DODs. :D I take 2 Midol each morning and it cures the puffiness (as well as any other alcohol related issues like headache or tiredness...:o )

Football season is almost here... I hardly ever make it to games. I sell furniture which requires working every weekend. Although game days are so slow we can usually take breaks to catch the action on our tiny tv. The pic is at Perdue 07, we had seats really close to the end zone.

Midol sounds like a safe bet. I think I will give it a shot. Where are you in Ohio?

Don't know how practical this is... But Cranberry juice will do the same thing as taking a water pill... that is, real cranberry juice like knudsens or northland, not some cranberry cocktail. Its sugar free and very tart. I usually mix it 1:10 with water, and squirt in some lemon juice, and have a few bottles of that instead of water, if I'm retaining a lot of water. Word to the wise, if you have retained a lot of water... you will be going to the bathroom a lot for the first few hours!

Also, this is great for hot flashes (according to my mother in law) or pre-menstrual water retention (according to me).

Cheaper and safer than water pills, but easiest to do at home. I've never tried getting on a plane with a bottle of cranberry juice, and I'm not sure if the cruise line would say anything?

1 Bottle runs about $8 :eek: here in NY, but since you're cutting it with water, this is plenty for several people for some time.

Archived