Advice Needed for Coordinating Group Cruise on Princess

cyberfilly

I am looking for advice / opinions / support / tips on coordinating a group cruise with Princess for family and friends.

Background: My name is cyberfilly and I am a cruise addict (darn this site!:D ). Sailed with Carnival in 1990 , Disney in 2007, and want to cruise with Princess, Thanksgiving week 2009. I’ve done the research and Princess wins! My thought is that although a holiday sailing is more expensive, the fact that kids will only miss a few days of school and a lot of adults get both Thursday and Friday off from work might help sell the idea.

Dilemma: DH isn’t crazy about cruising and says we can’t afford it, especially these days with the cost of life skyrocketing.

Solution: Become a cruise “group leader”, arouse the interest of family, friends, strangers on the street, etc., and go cruising! Simple, right?

My concerns (rational or not):

1) There won’t be sufficient interest among our family and friends.

2) Something (or things) will go wrong on the cruise and as the group leader I’ll be made the scapegoat.

3) What travel agent to use and whether to go with an on-line TA or the “gal down the street” whose prices are higher? I have no relationship with any TA.

I’ve created a really neat flyer describing the cruise, itinerary, dates, how we can get “group pricing” (if there is such a thing), but I’m reluctant to send it out. What is wrong with me? Do I want to cruise or not?? :o I think it would help if I had the support of the DH. DD13 and DS10 are ready to pack their bags! I am too, but my feet have gotten really cold now!

Thanks friends!

I am looking for advice / opinions / support / tips on coordinating a group cruise with Princess for family and friends.

Background: My name is cyberfilly and I am a cruise addict (darn this site!:D ). Sailed with Carnival in 1990 , Disney in 2007, and want to cruise with Princess, Thanksgiving week 2009. I’ve done the research and Princess wins! My thought is that although a holiday sailing is more expensive, the fact that kids will only miss a few days of school and a lot of adults get both Thursday and Friday off from work might help sell the idea.

Dilemma: DH isn’t crazy about cruising and says we can’t afford it, especially these days with the cost of life skyrocketing.

Solution: Become a cruise “group leader”, arouse the interest of family, friends, strangers on the street, etc., and go cruising! Simple, right?

My concerns (rational or not):

1) There won’t be sufficient interest among our family and friends.

2) Something (or things) will go wrong on the cruise and as the group leader I’ll be made the scapegoat.

3) What travel agent to use and whether to go with an on-line TA or the “gal down the street” whose prices are higher? I have no relationship with any TA.

I’ve created a really neat flyer describing the cruise, itinerary, dates, how we can get “group pricing” (if there is such a thing), but I’m reluctant to send it out. What is wrong with me? Do I want to cruise or not?? :o I think it would help if I had the support of the DH. DD13 and DS10 are ready to pack their bags! I am too, but my feet have gotten really cold now!

Thanks friends!

Getting a group cruise together can be a lot of work. And remember, you have a minimum number of staterooms you have to book to get any benefits as the group leader (I think it's 8 unless they have changed it). You may end up with not enough, then you would be stuck paying for your total accomodations.

Honestly, I don't think this is the best idea, that is unless you already have 8 or 10 or more other couples interested. But then, you also take the chance some might cancel before final payment, and you may not have enough to still get a free cabin for you.

I could be mistaken here, but even if you received a free stateroom, I don't think it would cover all four in your family (could be wrong on this one though).

I would devise another plan I think, this one has way too many IFS involved. Especially for someone who has only cruised twice in the past.

IF you can get 16 people (in 8 cabins) to go with you, you will receive ONE free berth (not cabin).

IF the itinerary you want has a group fare, you'll save around 3% over booking individually.

IF anything go wrong, you as group leader will be the one people look to to "fix" it.

IF you do not have a TA, you'll have to call Princess groups dept.

IF this sounds like more than you want to handle, just take a friend and leave DH at home.

Think that the magic number is 10--I think that the cabin you might be assigned to would most likely be the lowest price available--also--think that it would cover only 2 people--maybe only one person and would need to pay for the second person in the cabin

First Clue--Call Princess and get the answer--call more than once to see what answers you get--may take 3 calls--this would be the first thing I would do

GOOD LUCK TO YOU

Nancy:D

Think that the magic number is 10--I think that the cabin you might be assigned to would most likely be the lowest price available--also--think that it would cover only 2 people--maybe only one person and would need to pay for the second person in the cabin

First Clue--Call Princess and get the answer--call more than once to see what answers you get--may take 3 calls--this would be the first thing I would do

GOOD LUCK TO YOU Nancy:D

The number needed is 16 people in 8 cabins. The "free" is the cruise rate for one person- not including tax, port, or fuel-just base cruise rate. You'll get the info you need by calling the Groups Dept at Princess.

The number needed is 16 people in 8 cabins. The "free" is the cruise rate for one person- not including tax, port, or fuel-just base cruise rate. You'll get the info you need by calling the Groups Dept at Princess.

Thanks for your info

Sounds like you're setting yourself up for a lot of work and possibly a lot of frustration if your friends and family don't find the idea of cruising as appealing as you do. It's probably worth floating the idea as long as you keep your expectations low for now. Most people only have a very limited amount of time and money to spend on a vacation, and they may prefer another type of vacation.

I organized a family reunion cruise in 2006, but that was different from your situation because it was to celebrate my mom's 85th birthday. She was treating us all and everyone felt both obliged and enticed to participate. Since then we have invited friends and family members to join us on several cruises. But these have been cruises where we had already booked and were definitely going regardless of whether anyone joined us. My brother's family and ours went on Mediterranean cruises this summer, but unfortunately we couldn't work out our schedules to go at the same time.

We persuaded two sets of friends to join us on our Mexican Riviera cruise last March, which turned out to be great fun. We have another friend who is thinking about joining us for the British Isles. But most of our friends aren't "cruise addicts" like we are, so they're uncertain and slow to commit. So in the meanwhile, we're proceeding with our plans. If they join us great, if they don't, that's okay too. We'll email them pictures later to make them envious!:)

--Junglejane

GOOD LUCK TO YOU

Already spoke with Princess and a few TA's about group bookings so am very familiar with logistics. For every eight cabins booked, the group leader receives a complimentary berth equivalent to the stateroom category which has the most cabins booked, up to two complimentary berths, excluding taxes, fuel, etc.

Thanks for everyone's nice advice. I too think the risks are great! Maybe it's a sign!

Toto, to state "Especially for someone who has only cruised twice in the past" sounds a little condescending. Just thought I'd share that with you! :) I've done an incredible amount of research both on cruising in general and Princess and feel that I'm pretty knowledgable. Thanks for your opinions, though!

Toto, to state "Especially for someone who has only cruised twice in the past" sounds a little condescending. Just thought I'd share that with you! :) I've done an incredible amount of research both on cruising in general and Princess and feel that I'm pretty knowledgable. Thanks for your opinions, though!

My apology if that statement sounded condescending, I didn't mean it that way. I just felt that anyone who gets a group together really needs some experience in cruising before heading a group that is totally relying on your for all of the answers. Even after 10-15 cruises, I don't feel I was knowledgeable enough to head up a group cruise (and that includes tons of research beforehand for each crusie). Heck, after 35+ cruises now for us, I don't feel that I could answer all of the questions given by a group of possible newbies. Research is great, but that is like being book smart, it is different in real life after experiencing many of the different aspects of sailing onboard.

Again, best of luck with this.

My apology if that statement sounded condescending, I didn't mean it that way. I just felt that anyone who gets a group together really needs some experience in cruising before heading a group that is totally relying on your for all of the answers. Even after 10-15 cruises, I don't feel I was knowledgeable enough to head up a group cruise (and that includes tons of research beforehand for each crusie). Heck, after 35+ cruises now for us, I don't feel that I could answer all of the questions given by a group of possible newbies. Research is great, but that is like being book smart, it is different in real life after experiencing many of the different aspects of sailing onboard.

Again, best of luck with this.

I agree it is a ton of work and base on the hours and stress put into I am sure the rewards are not equal! I would deligate it. Myself I would book as individuals as I enjoy my independance.

The answer I found was why TOTO won't be are gatekeeper on our departure:p :p :p

it can be done.

I tossed out an idea to my girl cousins regarding a cruise.

the answers came back as 'Yes'

then I called my TA for some quotes

I picked the cruise, emailed the details, gave a 'respond by date'

we are now up to 20 people

now I did not do a 'group' as I did not realize how big this would become

are we all excited about going? Yup!!!!

next time (hopefully there will be a next time) I would start with 'Group' with my TA, and go from there. I am a retired elem. teacher who has organized field trips (even did a 200 student field trip once, ordered all the tickets, buses,etc) so this is pretty easy from my past experience.

It can be done. On our third cruise I booked fourteen rooms for our senior adult church group. I called Princess and they assigned me a group coordinator. I started off with about eight couples and had to give their names in order for the rooms to be held for a certain period of time. We kept adding to our group as excitement grew. The coordinator did a great job and managed to pull some strings and get all fourteen rooms side-by-side. We all had mini-suites on the Dolphin deck with adjoining balconies. What a GREAT time we had!! I had the money Princess tried to put in my account split among each person as OBC. I wasn't out to benefit myself. We chartered a bus to take us to the ship and pick us up on our return. Each couple handled their own deposits and payments through Princess. I did a lot of praying, did what I could do and left the rest to Him. Everything worked out beautifully. Every couple that booked was able to go. We all took out insurance just in case, but no one had to use it. They are all ready to go again. Princess did a fantastic job.

If you get the right TA, you as a group leader really shouldn't have a lot of work to do at all. We co-ordinate EVERYTHING for our group leaders - the only thing they end up doing is contacting passengers we may have trouble getting hold of and being the person the cruise line will contact on the ship if there are any issus.

Your TA should be taking care of virtually everything else. You may have to assist with giving out flyers and talking the cruise up but you shouldn't have to do much more than that, your TA should take care of making the flyers. They should answer questions that the potential cruisers might have - there really is little more for you to do than promote the cruise to family and friends and perhaps give out brochures too.

Find the right TA who specializes in groups and this can be a win-win situation for you. You need to get the group space early (Princess will stop taking groups at a certain point) and the TA will draw up a contract to advise you of what will happen if you don't sell 8 cabins/16 berths (and that usually means there won't be a tour conductor for you and maybe no amenities for the group).

• 2 weeks later...

Work with a very good travel agent. And be up front with them..many have group space already booked and will simply let you in, sometimes not with the group rate or amenities.

I belive that princess does not do the free bertht he way you described, even though you described the "usual" way of figuring it out. Princess actually does an average of all rooms booked..not the most booked category. This is much fairer. Like others said it does not include the taxes and fees..so it is not like a free ride. It is also not limited to two berths. Depending on th4e sailing chosen you can and will get GAP amenity points which can be used for a variety of things, some of which can benefit the guest and soem of which can benefit the TA. If you book a group be upfront that you wanthte full GAP points and group fares to be used at yoru discretion.

I do a family group cruise each year, and also knwo that while they request 8 cabins to qualify for a group, they will let your TA hold 8 rooms with no charge or deposits, until booked. If the TA want sot hold more than 8 there is a charge of $25 per berth the TA must pay and eventually recoup from you. HOWEVER, Princess also will honor the group fare that are booked into the group even if hte group falls below the 8 cabins...and they will guarantee most of the GAP point amenities as long as you have 5 rooms booked.

In your case, you may want ot use the GAP points to buy down ratio necessary for the free berth...you can trade points to bring it down from 8 to 1 to 7- 1 or even 6 to one if you have enough GAP points assined to the sailing.

Contact me at pflanz@pflanz.com if you would like more advice or have more questions. I think you have right idea, but must have the right agency to work with. I also have one other suggestion...become an agent yourself.

While Princess WILL book a group for a private party (direct group booking), they prefer not to if at all possible. As res agents, we were always encouraged to encourage the potential group leader to hook up with a TA experienced in groups. And for good reason. There are so many deadlines that you have to be worried about with groups.....bulk deposit due dates, space pull back dates, manifest submission dates, payment dates, cabin assignments and so much more.

It can be confusing even for the best TA at times. If you have a strong group and a strong group leader, all of whom can keep time deadlines and commitments, you can have great fun with it....but you can count on at least one or two headaches along the way....:o

Already spoke with Princess and a few TA's about group bookings so am very familiar with logistics. For every eight cabins booked, the group leader receives a complimentary berth equivalent to the stateroom category which has the most cabins booked, up to two complimentary berths, excluding taxes, fuel, etc.

Thanks for everyone's nice advice. I too think the risks are great! Maybe it's a sign!

cyberfilly, for our second cruise, we arranged a 50 person ordeal for a birthday surprise. It really wasn't that much work at all. We worked with a TA, set up the approximate number of cabins we might want, sent out the notices, made a few calls, and had everyone book directly with the TA using our name as a reference point. We split the 8th cabin free fare amongst all of us to reduce everyone's fares and the TA handled that for us. Here's the clincher; after 1 1/2 years of planning our cruise from Florida (we live up north as did half of the fellow cruisers) was scheduled for 3 days after our horrific 9/11 event that changed our world! There were no airplanes to fly on; everything was in crisis; Carnival would not refund our fares. We jumped in the car and drove 26 hours straight to get to Miami. Got to a hotel near the pier at midnight the night before the cruise. Opened the drapes in the morning to see our ship sitting right outside our window surrounded by numerous Coast Guard ships. We thought, isn't that nice they greet the cruise ship. My dad turns on the news and starts praying the rosary out loud-there on the news was our beautiful ship with the headlines that 2 terrorists that had been sought since 9/11 were taken off the ship by the Coast Guard while the vessel was still at sea! Needless to say, there was no way any of us were getting on that ship that day (it's amazing the things you think up when you're scared to death and had just driven by both the Twin Towers and Pentagon and saw them still smouldering). That's my first group experience. Carnival did allow us to cancel with full credit. When things calmed down I promptly picked another date a year later and we went and had a great time. I would definitely do it again; it's a great way to spend quality time (and alone time) with family and friends. Good luck whatever your decision may be.

Just a little more info. Princess (or any other cruise line) doesn't hold openings so that every group that wants to can book. All the lines limit the number of groups they will sell a particular sailing to. Once the cruise line allotment of groups for a particular cruise has been allotted, they stop booking anymore groups and there will be no tour conductor or GAP points given out even if you have enough to be considered a group.

So you need to usually book groups early. If you are trying for a late group, you may not always be given a t/c or points.

I do a family group cruise each year, and also knwo that while they request 8 cabins to qualify for a group, they will let your TA hold 8 rooms with no charge or deposits, until booked.
The lines don't give you an unlimited time frame to sell those cabins. You will be told when the recall dates are and if you haven't taken deposits for all the cabins you reserved, you may have to give them back to the line.

Archived