JUST ANNOUNCED! NO more 4-5 night cruises to Cabo from San Diego...!

Tapi

Just announced. Effective February 2009, the Carnival Elation will no longer perform 4 and 5 night cruises to Cabo San Lucas.

Instead, the Elation will perform 3 and 4 night cruises to Ensenada and Catalina from San Diego (similar to the itineraries currently offered by the Paradise from Los Angeles). The change is due in part to Royal Caribbean departing the 3-4 night cruise market from Southern California (Carnival wishes to fill in the gap by offering a second ship performing this itinerary). The second reason for the change is because of economics (3-4 night short distance cruises are more profitable than 4-5 night long distance cruises).

Just announced. Effective February 2009, the Carnival Elation will no longer perform 4 and 5 night cruises to Cabo San Lucas.

Instead, the Elation will perform 3 and 4 night cruises to Ensenada and Catalina from San Diego (similar to the itineraries currently offered by the Paradise from Los Angeles). The change is due in part to Royal Caribbean departing the 3-4 night cruise market from Southern California (Carnival wishes to fill in the gap by offering a second ship performing this itinerary). The second reason for the change is because of economics (3-4 night short distance cruises are more profitable than 4-5 night long distance cruises).

Stupid move:rolleyes:

Do you have a link:confused:

3 & 4 day cruises are great if you are only trying to serve the local market. With airfare prices and the hassle of flying 2,3,4, day cruises make no sense for the travelers who have to fly to ports.

Do you have a link:confused:

I don't think that it's been posted on the internet yet. My PVP received this information in their morning brief today. I guess the Carnival site is being updated as we speak. The Elation is not available for sale past February 2009...

3 & 4 day cruises are great if you are only trying to serve the local market. With airfares prices and the hassle of flying 2,3,4, day cruises make no sense for the travelers who have to fly to ports.

I think they are just setting themselves up for big time failure:rolleyes: If in fact it is true....

3 & 4 day cruises are great if you are only trying to serve the local market. With airfares prices and the hassle of flying 2,3,4, day cruises make no sense for the travelers who have to fly to ports.

Well said! I would never take a cruise less than 7 days. With airfare prices as high as they are AND the added hassle of flying, no thank you.

TAPI: I smile every time I see that picture of your dog, it is priceless.

I think they are just setting themselves up for big time failure:rolleyes: If in fact it is true....

I was thinking about doing that 5 night cruise in 2009 so the news is a bit of a bummer. I guess I'll have to think about Royal Caribbean if I want to do this itinerary.

About setting themselves up for failure, I'm wondering that myself. I wish that I had hard data of what the fuel bill is going all the way down to Cabo and back vs. going down to Ensenada. The savings must be quite significant when they're sacrificing this 5 night itinerary...

TAPI: I smile every time I see that picture of your dog, it is priceless.

thanks..! Looking at your avatar, My dog and your dog might be related! ;)

3 & 4 day cruises are great if you are only trying to serve the local market. With airfare prices and the hassle of flying 2,3,4, day cruises make no sense for the travelers who have to fly to ports.

I'm emailing my PVP as we speak. On the briefing they received, the 3-4 night cruises from San Diego are indeed targeted to the California-Nevada-Arizona drive in passengers.

I myself thinks this stinks. I wish they would have at least turned the Elation into a 7 day ship. I won't be flying that far for a 4 night cruise. We sailed in March on the 5 day and loved it. Perfect for spending time in San Diego and a cruise. I have no desire to sail out of Long Beach when San Diego offers so much right by the port. We did the Spirit twice and liked the 8 day, but not many options for getting off work with the rotating days it leaves. I was hoping they would offer more 6 day cruises out of San Diego not lessening them. :(

As someone who lives in their targeted market, I can say it looks like I won't be back on Elation and I've been keeping an eye on prices to see if I could squeeze a sailing in. A four day would be fine, since that's what I did before, but I really wanted to go back to Cabo. Ensenada and Catalina have no appeal to me.

Also, is the Paradise that successful that it makes sense to have 2 ships doing these itineraries? The 2 ports aren't really all that far apart.

I live in San Diego~ I was so excited when they started the Cabo/Ensenada route. Ensenada is a dive and waste of time, but atleast I could go to Cabo! We booked and cruised this over last New Years on Elation and loved it. I won't do a cruise that includes Ensenada anymore. (unless thats the only option..)

I know we are limited here, but Ensenada is just a joke. And Catalina/Ensenada even more so. Jeez...

We can't get a decent ship out of here, other than the Spirit and the 8 day. And I have to agree, the rotationg schedule makes it difficult, but atleast the ports are good..

oh well, what to do, flying is to expensive and we have sucky ports:rolleyes:

but I guess atleast we are on a ship..

Haooy Cruising~

Donna

I'm going on Elation for the first time (4-day to Cabo) and the reason is that it is only a 45 minute drive for us to the port. A group from work is going and most are going because of the Cabo stop and the 4 nights starting on Thursday is very convenient. I'm sorry they're stopping it because its such an affordable long weekend for those of us who can drive there.

If Radiance is coming here however, thats a good thing.. Its our favorite RCL ship! DH and I have been on her twice and would jump at another chance to cruise on her next fall.

Archived