Question for Mr Barbados

cruzzingranny

Hi Barbados, I have read several of your posts here and you are a wealth of information. I'm hoping that you can help me with an unusual request. I know that in Bridgetown they play Bingo. Do you know where and when they play?

I would think that they play the British way and would like to check it out the next time we are in Bridgetown.

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words Denice, but I am going to let you down on this one.

Bingo is big in the UK, so I'm sure there are parlours here, I just do not personally know of any.

Perhaps our astute island friends, Mr. aplmac or Ms. Sunnie could help us out.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you, but good luck in your quest! :)

To my knowledge, Bingo is really only played on occasion by organizations like the Lion's Club and others, mainly as fund raising tools. It's considered Gambling, so I don't think it can be run as a constant thing (you have to have permission from the VAT office and police to run these types of events) I also didn't know there was more than one way to play Bingo.. All the one's I've ever called, been a part of etc, etc, either in the US or here in Barbados, are done the same way.

APLMAC.. any other info you can give

Tough request..but not impossible! :)

Yes, Bingo 'occasions' are held from time to time

and yes we play 'the English way' (I guess!):confused:

but you'll be lucky to arrive here on a specific Saturday

that such an event is being held.......maybe a Sunday,

but usually it's a fund-raising type of event, scheduled for Saturday's.

My wife is a member of the Old Scholars Assoc. for a popular local school

and they do indeed hold an annual Bingo meet

(usually at Pirates Inn,Brownes Gap, in the Hastings area along the S.Coast

but the last time it was held in the school's Auditorium..)

- this event of 'hers' usually held sometime in May or June

which isn't the right time of year for Cruisin Season!

Based on the above

you'll need to ascertain what day of the week your ship will dock at Barbados

and then find out if it's a lucky Saturday (newspaper adverts?)

All in all I think your chances are slim, but don't stop investigating

Thank you Barbados, Sunnie and aplmac for your quick responses. We have been to Barbados several times before and noticed a sign once for Bingo. We will be going again in January, (only 1 day cruise stop) and thought that maybe they have started playing Bingo on a regular basis. Call us crazy.... but we love to play Bingo the British way and miss it since moving from UK to USA.

Again, thanks. :)

Hi Sunnie

In England our bingo cards have 15 numbers out of a possible 90...Each card is devided into three lines with five numbers on each line..If you buy a strip of 6 in principle you would have every number called....When ive played american bingo the cards have less numbers and each number is perferated and pushed through..The caller would say what row each number was in Using the word BINGO ie under the B no. 3 or under the O 57 ...I like either:)

Bingo, held in big marquees, was a huge tourist attraction at the Gold Coast, when I was young. Pieces of corn were put on the numbers. Now that was a long time ago, when life was simpler. :)

Bingo is still held here, usually run in halls to support charities. My MIL goes every week.

Hi Sunnie

In England our bingo cards have 15 numbers out of a possible 90...Each card is devided into three lines with five numbers on each line..If you buy a strip of 6 in principle you would have every number called....When ive played american bingo the cards have less numbers and each number is perferated and pushed through..The caller would say what row each number was in Using the word BINGO ie under the B no. 3 or under the O 57 ...I like either:)

When I was younger I worked in a recreation camping resort in NJ and Maine. I called BINGO every Saturday Night. The cards vary depending on the location, game set etc.. Mostly they are flat cards, BINGO at the top along 5 columns with 5 rows beneath that. 25 numbers on a card (or rather 24 with the middle space being a free space) out of a possible 75 numbers. cards can be perferated and pushed through, but most places have hard card cards and you use a disk to lay over top of the number called. some actually have little sliding bars that pull over the number when the number is called.

We used to play fun BINGO games like 4 corners (where you just had to get the numbers in the 4 corners), X marks the spot (make on X on the card) and my favorite, BO, where we only called the B and the O numbers and you had to cover all the numbers in those to columns.. when you won you had to stand up, raise your arms in the air and shout.. I've Got BO (Body Odor... hehehe).

anyway. waxing nostalgic here..

Interesting.. didn't know there was a difference in the US Version and the UK and Australian Version.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question too, please. Is there a firestation that we can go to where we can purchase a shirt? My son is a firefighter and wherever we go we try to get him a shirt. He's got them from all over the place and he wears each and every one of them. Please save me some precious port time so I don't have to spend the day hunting one down??

Thanks.

Archived