Providing passport number for private tour in Peru GREATAM--HELP!!!

GoVolsTB

We are planning a private tour in Lima next April. The tour company is requesting everyones passport number and also a photocopy of the passport. The tour company has stated that they will need to add Peruvian taxes of 19% if this information is not provided.

Is this usually required in Peru? I am very reluctant to provide this information. Would like to know if this is standard procedure in Peru. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

We are planning a private tour in Lima next April. The tour company is requesting everyones passport number and also a photocopy of the passport. The tour company has stated that they will need to add Peruvian taxes of 19% if this information is not provided.

Is this usually required in Peru? I am very reluctant to provide this information. Would like to know if this is standard procedure in Peru. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Yes this is standard practice if you stay at a Hotel in Peru. They need proof you are not a Peruvian citizen so they can not charge the 19% tax. They always make a copy of my passport when I go there

You should not have to provide your passport number BEFORE a tour, UNLESS you have to pay in full AND the tour includes hotesl. That is kind of weird for just a tour and I would feel strange, also. But you will need to provide your passport number so you are not charged the 19% Peruvian resident tax.

If you have problems with this tour company, please contact my friend Luis at the San Antonio Abad. He will provide everything you need in Lima (tour, a nights stay in my favorite little hotel, transport to/from airport or port)

My favorite little room in his hotel (it used to be a mansion) is on the first floor. All kinds of wood paneling, a view to the gorgeous flowers outside and a little patio to enjoy the ambiance. The only drawback I can see-twin beds. But the hospitality is better than any of the big hotels in Lima.

http://hotelsanantonioabad.com/

Check out the photo page-the picture showing the table and chairs outside is taken DIRECTLY in front of my favorite room (the drapes are closed). You can see the little patio off to the right of the picture (sliding glass doors). Great place for a sunset drink or to read a book in the daytime. Enjoy!!!!

Thanks greatam. Saved to my favourites, as this is just the kind of place we love to stay.

BTW My husband said one of our car hires in US was a Grandam (?), so are you a greatam because you are involved in the trucking industry?

Greatam,

Thank you for all your posts re: South America. Your expertise is most appreciated.

I put together the Lima tour through Gateway Travel. It is combo tour to the Pachacamac Ruins in the morning, a tour of Lima in the afternoon, lunch at Dama Juana Restaurant in Larcomar and transportation with a driver and guide.

They have requested 50% payment now and final payment about 30 days before we arrive in Lima. No hotel is involved.

While I personally am not adverse to the arrangements re: payment and passport info, some of the members of my group have expressed reservations, hence this thread.

Any additional input you would care to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greatam,

Thank you for all your posts re: South America. Your expertise is most appreciated.

I put together the Lima tour through Gateway Travel. It is combo tour to the Pachacamac Ruins in the morning, a tour of Lima in the afternoon, lunch at Dama Juana Restaurant in Larcomar and transportation with a driver and guide.

They have requested 50% payment now and final payment about 30 days before we arrive in Lima. No hotel is involved.

While I personally am not adverse to the arrangements re: payment and passport info, some of the members of my group have expressed reservations, hence this thread.

Any additional input you would care to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Is this a one day tour? Where are these ruins? I am looking into a land tour to Peru and there is too much to do in a short time.

You should not have to provide your passport number BEFORE a tour, UNLESS you have to pay in full AND the tour includes hotesl. That is kind of weird for just a tour and I would feel strange, also. But you will need to provide your passport number so you are not charged the 19% Peruvian resident tax.

If you have problems with this tour company, please contact my friend Luis at the San Antonio Abad. He will provide everything you need in Lima (tour, a nights stay in my favorite little hotel, transport to/from airport or port)

My favorite little room in his hotel (it used to be a mansion) is on the first floor. All kinds of wood paneling, a view to the gorgeous flowers outside and a little patio to enjoy the ambiance. The only drawback I can see-twin beds. But the Bta, hospitality is better than any of the big hotels in Lima.

http://hotelsanantonioabad.com/

Check out the photo page-the picture showing the table and chairs outside is taken DIRECTLY in front of my favorite room (the drapes are closed). You can see the little patio off to the right of the picture (sliding glass doors). Great place for a sunset drink or to read a book in the daytime. Enjoy!!!!

Greatam, do you know if this hotel had any rooms that can be used as a triple? I e-mailed and never heard back. We would need two queens or a queen and a twin for my teenage stepdaughter. We love old hotels/mansions. The other ones I have looked at in other areas are very expensive, so if you have recommendation in other areas of Peru, please let me know? We would like to put something together on our own as the packaged tours never work out for a family of three, although some ($2,000 per person for 9 or 10 nights with internal flights and all meals seem somewhat reasonable - but they are too expensive for 3). The best I am finding for flight from the US to Lima in July 2009 are about $1,050 per person.

Btw, I also would not pay in advance for a day tour. The only time we did this was for a 2 night package with Costa Rica Expeditions in Costa Rica. They owned the hotels where we were staying and it included all meals, canal transfer and small aircraft back to San Jose. Another company we used their for 2 day tours just collected money that day. Every country we have been to in Europe was cash that day too.

Jade,

It is a one day tour that I put together combining both a tour of the city and the Pachacamac ruins, as I was interested in both. Here is the webpage for the ruins: http://www.peru-explorer.com/pachacamac.htm. There are many other tours to the area. A Google search will uncover them.

I don't like to completely pay in advance either, but this company requires it. I have experienced the same requirement on a tour in Raiatea and also in Portugal, both several years ago. You are right that many tour companies don't request an upfront payment, but all the companies I have dealt with over the years have been very honest and I have not had any difficulty with having the tour company deliver what they promised. Maybe I've just been lucky, but since I'm am putting together what amounts to a private tour (as opposed to a scheduled one that the company can put others into), I don't have a problem paying for the service.

Jade,

It is a one day tour that I put together combining both a tour of the city and the Pachacamac ruins, as I was interested in both. Here is the webpage for the ruins: http://www.peru-explorer.com/pachacamac.htm. There are many other tours to the area. A Google search will uncover them.

I don't like to completely pay in advance either, but this company requires it. I have experienced the same requirement on a tour in Raiatea and also in Portugal, both several years ago. You are right that many tour companies don't request an upfront payment, but all the companies I have dealt with over the years have been very honest and I have not had any difficulty with having the tour company deliver what they promised. Maybe I've just been lucky, but since I'm am putting together what amounts to a private tour (as opposed to a scheduled one that the company can put others into), I don't have a problem paying for the service.

Mark,

Neat ruins.

That is a great web site. I have come across it before. Are they local? Would you be going with that company? They look legit. I like their "Magic Peru" itinerary btw, with an added day at Sun Island Bolivia (and train to Puno vs bus) and perhaps another day in Lima too.

Glad the site worked for you.

I have put together a group of 16 for a stop in Lima on 4/30/09. We will be taking the combo tour that I sort of designed with this company. They were very flexible and easy to work with.

They are a local company that provides a driver, van and guide. The tour includes a buffet lunch.

I spoke with them (Ivan) this morning. I requested they allow us to pay the balance when we arrive. They will already have the credit card info from the deposit. I asked they wait and charge the card after we are picked up, providing receipts during lunch and before we are returned to the ship.

I'm awaiting a response to the request.

Archived