Nice Shorts (men) In The Dining Room

mchlhaystead

What does being "in print" have to do with appropriateness? All that means is that means they're allowed; whether they're appropriate or not depends on your perception of what is considered appropriate to wear for dinner in an elegant setting. In my opinion shorts are not appropriate to wear to dinner at any nice restaurant or cruise ship main dining room, regardless of how far a cruise line relaxes the dress code in order to avoid conflict and having to enforce any standards. Others will disagree I'm sure, but that is what I believe.

My Father has bought a Tux to wear on formal/elegant night. I am so proud to be with him when he wears it. He is so handsome and I love being his daughter. I don't care what others wear but we will always dress nice for dinner on a cruise.

Something like Penny Loafers will do

flors13398_11065_lg.jpg

Or Dress Sandals like these Men's Johnston & Murphy Dooley Hook & Loop Sandal.

johns236649_79820_lg.jpg

Pick up a copy of GQ and get creative.

Fred

Johnston & Murphy Dooley Hook & Loop Sandal..OMG...please tell me you don't wear those with black socks up to your knees! LOL

My Father has bought a Tux to wear on formal/elegant night. I am so proud to be with him when he wears it. He is so handsome and I love being his daughter. I don't care what others wear but we will always dress nice for dinner on a cruise.

Sounds like your father raised a wise daughter; I'm sure he's proud of you as well.

Ok since dress shorts are allowed in the dining room except for formal night, then how relaxed is the dress code on formal night? Are men wearing just dress slacks and dress shirts, or are they more dressed up with jackets and ties?

Personally, I don't care what anyone wears, as long as they have clothes on. My husband hates to dress up on vacation and so do I since we both have to dress up for work everyday. I don't understand why some people get so snooty about "dressing for dinner" as if they're vacationing at some upscale, exclusive resort instead of on a Carnival ship. Live and let live.

Ok since dress shorts are allowed in the dining room except for formal night, then how relaxed is the dress code on formal night? Are men wearing just dress slacks and dress shirts, or are they more dressed up with jackets and ties?

Personally, I don't care what anyone wears, as long as they have clothes on. My husband hates to dress up on vacation and so do I since we both have to dress up for work everyday. I don't understand why some people get so snooty about "dressing for dinner" as if they're vacationing at some upscale, exclusive resort instead of on a Carnival ship. Live and let live.

Well, it's important to be appropriate, and by that I mean not merely meeting the host's dress requirements, but meeting my personal standards of what's appropriate. After all, it's obvious that Carnival feels incapable of stating what they truly expect, and therefore relies on right-thinking people like me to get on cruisecritic and act as the enforcers. Why can't you people understand that?

What does being "in print" have to do with appropriateness? All that means is that means they're allowed; whether they're appropriate or not depends on your perception of what is considered appropriate to wear for dinner in an elegant setting. In my opinion shorts are not appropriate to wear to dinner at any nice restaurant or cruise ship main dining room, regardless of how far a cruise line relaxes the dress code in order to avoid conflict and having to enforce any standards. Others will disagree I'm sure, but that is what I believe.

like i was saying..just another opinion..

"in print*..has nothing to do with appropriateness..did you think so?:confused:

I noticed it had relaxed quite a bit. A few tuxes, more suits, but a lot of guys are now in just dress pants, shirt & tie or dress pants/shirt & sportscoat (tie or not.)

Well, it's important to be appropriate, and by that I mean not merely meeting the host's dress requirements, but meeting my personal standards of what's appropriate. After all, it's obvious that Carnival feels incapable of stating what they truly expect, and therefore relies on right-thinking people like me to get on cruisecritic and act as the enforcers. Why can't you people understand that?
I don't know you, so I don't know if you're being facetious or serious, but the idea that Carnival would "rely" on others to "enforce" a style of dress that differs from their stated dress code is hilarious! :D

Seriously though, if it's your "personal standard of what's appropriate" that matters, why not keep it personal? Obviously different people have different standards, and as long as they are within the host's standards, why do you care what other people wear? I see no one telling people not to dress up, why do you and others think you need to tell people that they should?

People with manners don't put others down for their clothing choices. A nice suit or tux can't make up for a lack of class.

I fully agree...dress does not equal class. I have met many people in my life who were nicely dressed who have no manners at all and were just plain annoying people. Many who wish to impose their dress code on others are just trying to make up for their own short comings or because they think they are magically transformed into some important person as soon as they cinch that tie. If you want to dress up they by all means do so but have some respect and realize others do not share your opinion. If your meal or experience is ruined because of what someone else is wearing you have deeper problems than the dress code.

I don't know you, so I don't know if you're being facetious or serious, but the idea that Carnival would "rely" on others to "enforce" a style of dress that differs from their stated dress code is hilarious! :D

I think he was being facetious. His point is well-made. One can easily claim others are dressing inappropriate - just make your standard different than their standard and voila - you have made them inappropriate.

I can claim that nothing below formal wear (and I mean traditional formal wear, not the formal wear as advocated by even the dress snobs on here) is appropriate for a "formal dining room setting" (assuming the Carnival dining room meets that definition - a big assumption).

This shows why appropriateness is at best a fuzzy standard of behavior that changes depending on many factors. At least yuyi acknowledges that it is a matter of individual perception.

I do not believe that any dinning facility that has singing and dancing on the tables by serving staff is "formal". Carnival has decided to change the written standards to the norm of a growing number of their guest. That is fine with me. I wear a suit 5 days a week and do not on vacation. If the dress code snobs can not handle that, they can just get over it, mind their on business and wear whatever they wish too.

I do not believe that any dinning facility that has singing and dancing on the tables by serving staff is "formal".

To many of those who try to dictate what others wear it is as formal as it gets for them.

No worries! I was just on the Legend from 8/10-17 and there wasn't anything in the Capers stating no shorts. Evenings were just designated in the capers as cruise casual or cruise elegant with no further mention of the dress code. I think we were given a letter explaining the dress code as we boarded. The dress code, as I remember, was the same as the one now on the Carnival website allowing shorts.

.:D

Thanks cruisebie, that's the info I was looking for.

My dh will probably have on tennis shoes with those short socks with his shorts! He always wore them with his dockers all but formal night in the past anyway!

He is thrilled about the new dress code as I imagine over half of cruisers are.

Maybe someone should start a poll. Yes or no do you like the new relaxed dress codes.

I vote yes!!! Saves the trip back to the cabin right after dinner to change!

I'm really trying hard to stay out of dress code and chair-hog and seat-saving discussions' date=' but what is "allowed" and what is "appropriate" are two totally different concepts.[/quote']

In the abstract, yes. Though in this particular case, it doesn't matter. I think the allowed dress under the dress code is appropriate. In fact, I think the dress code formally establishes appropriateness for the dining room.

Appropriate means "suitable for a particular . . . occassion". Who is in a better position than the host to determine what is suitable for an event that the host is hosting? A guest . . . ? :confused:

agreed J.D!

It is akin to throwing a dinner party, or even a wedding or some other by-invitation event. If the host decides to put the attire on the invitation, that is the determination of what is appropriate for that event.

I've been to a wedding wear jeans and shorts were appropriate, and even expected. I would have been completely out of place if I wore a suit. And I would have been completely out of line to tell someone else that their jeans or shorts were "inappropriate."

Seriously though, if it's your "personal standard of what's appropriate" that matters, why not keep it personal? Obviously different people have different standards, and as long as they are within the host's standards, why do you care what other people wear? I see no one telling people not to dress up, why do you and others think you need to tell people that they should?

People with manners don't put others down for their clothing choices. A nice suit or tux can't make up for a lack of class.

The stated dress requirements don't even pretend to address the issue of manners, or class -- only dress. If and when Carnival determines that it's appropriate for them to dictate specific standards in matters of class and etiquette, its passengers will be expected to follow them.

The stated dress requirements don't even pretend to address the issue of manners, or class -- only dress. If and when Carnival determines that it's appropriate for them to dictate specific standards in matters of class and etiquette, its passengers will be expected to follow them.
I didn't say that they did. :confused:

I am only pointing out the irony of people who seem to think they are "above" wearing shorts to dinner. By calling people "classless", "clods" or "the Clampetts", they demonstrate their own lack of class much more so than do the people wearing shorts.

(Disclaimer: Not all the quoted terms may have been used in this particular thread, but they were used in other recent threads on the same subject.)

Archived