A response from American Airlines...

Bruin Steve

To those who followed my earlier thread regarding our aborted Constellation Baltic cruise...and the lack of compassion by American Airlines--

To recap in short, my father-in-law passed away 4 days into our 14 night Baltic cruise last month and though we had round trip tickets on American--LAX to Stockholm, Heathrow back to LAX, American would only credit us for one return flight (adding some cost in fees) and forced us to pay almost $4,000 for the other one-way flight home from Helsinki (One ticket had been paid for in cash, the other with frequent flyer miles)...

I wrote to AA 4 weeks ago and finally recieved an E-mail back today--A customer service rep for AA expressed her condolences and apologies--and credited my AAdvantage account with 60,000 miles--enough for a round trip ticket to Europe...Not quite the full $4 grand, but a lot more than I expected from them considering the current state of the industry.

All things considered, I am thankful to AA for their response. It certainly helps their image in my eyes.

I'm relieved to hear that they responded. Although I still think it was wrong to charge you $4000 for your flight home - that's an eye-popping amount! Some financial refund would have been more appropriate. But at least they did something.

I hope you can use those 60,000 miles soon for an enjoyable trip.

I knew AA would do something, I'm really glad to hear the customer service hasn't dropped so low that they wouldn't respond at all. I'm not sure 60,000 miles is enough. I think $4000 is an outrage. Still, 60,000 is better than nothing and I'm especially glad to hear they issued an appology.

Archived