Extended Stay America vs Comfort Suites?

ell52

I've currently booked at both Extended Stay America on SE 17th and Comfort Suites on S. Federal Way for 1 night pre-cruise. They are $85.49 and $85 per night, respectively.

These are the main differences:

- Extended Stay has additional $10 off coupon; but no shuttle services (correct?) -- meaning taxi fares from FLL and to port.

- Comfort Suites has shuttles - both from FLL and to port

Therefore, they come out pretty close. We have a late night arrival, so don't need anything fancy.

Is one place any better than the other, or should I just toss a coin? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated (esp. from those who may have stayed at both).

__

Any opinions or preferences?

I've read through as many threads as I could find about these two hotels and they seem fairly comparable (i.e. clean, no frills, in safe area, etc.). What I'd like to know is whether the shuttle service with Comfort Suites makes it a much better deal versus having to take a taxi with Extended Stay. (I figured taxi from FLL to Extended Stay at about $15 and to port the next morning at $12, not including tips. Is this about right?) Are there any other factors to consider?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bumping this up since I'd like to hear about these two hotels as well. I'm actually booked at the ESA for our 3-night pre-cruise stay in Jan. as I got a great rate there - $99, plus the $10 coupon, and the Comfort Suites was a lot more - $249 on the Friday night! Having said that, if they're practically the same price, I would probably lean towards the CS, because of the free breakfast and free shuttles, which makes it a better deal. Would like to hear from people who have actually stayed at either of them, however.

ESA no shampoo, tissues, breakfast, shuttles...

within walking distance to lots of stuff

CS....shampoo, tissues, breakfast, shuttles, probably within walking distance to SOMETHING....

i would do the CS....haven't stayed in either, but my experience in other ESAs and CSs would make me pick the CS. I thnk there is maybe a Dennys or McDs or something...I can't remember....

I'm also booked in the ES Convention/Marina property for April and am bumping this up again to get some feedback for all of us. I picked this hotel because it is walking distance to that huge liquor store all the posters talk about. We like to bring our favorite wine onboard.:D In April, we're paying $110 for a night. And as for not having a shuttle, I'd rather take a cab than sit around waiting for everyone to get on and off the shuttle. It also seems like there is quite a bit to walk to from this hotel. Just hope it's clean.:p

We have stayed at the ESA on 17th both pre and post cruise and like it. Nothing fancy but easy walking distance to Total Wine, grocery store, several restaurants, etc., and right across the street is an Einstein Bagel.

Taxi from there to the pier is about $15. In a five minute walk you can be at the top of the causeway and see your ship docked.

As someone else mentioned you don't get shampoo etc. so make sure you have some available. The desk staff have always been friendly and can provide recommendations for food etc. based on what you want.

We will be staying there again in March for our next cruise.

Cheers,

We have stayed at the ESA on 17th both pre and post cruise and like it. Nothing fancy but easy walking distance to Total Wine, grocery store, several restaurants, etc., and right across the street is an Einstein Bagel.

Taxi from there to the pier is about $15. In a five minute walk you can be at the top of the causeway and see your ship docked.

As someone else mentioned you don't get shampoo etc. so make sure you have some available. The desk staff have always been friendly and can provide recommendations for food etc. based on what you want.

Cheers,

I truly appreciate your kind response to our request for info on this hotel. I had read somewhere that they will not hold your luggage if you arrive prior to 3PM and your room isn't ready. Would you know if that is true? We won't be having a car, and I would hate to have to sit in their lobby for hours with our luggage until the room is ready for checkin. Also, do you remember the approximate taxi fare from airport to hotel? Again, thank you so much for your help.:)

The street side of the Comfort Suites is very noisy, if you stay, request a room on the east side of the building. The Comfort Suites is just as close to restaurants and shops as the ESA, don't let that be a deciding factor. ;)

Cheers,

Thanks for the info. Really, all we care about is clean and convenient - and of course, cheap :D . Price of taxi very useful too, as were debating whether to rent a car or not. Do they charge for parking, or is it free?

Please keep in mind, the time of year you are reserving for dictates the price of the hotel. My stay is for April, but after Easter. I booked direct with the hotel chain website, and took advantage of a 10% pay with American Express card discount. However, when I checked the same hotel for mid January, the rate was up 50%. When travelling in high season anywhere, they will always charge for the privilege.:eek:

I am looking for a 1 night stay in FLL pre-cruise in Jan and either one of these hotels would be great but the rates that I see online are in the $200's. How do you get good rates on these hotels?

You sail in November! Seriously, you can get a coupon for the ESA good for $10 off your stay if you sign up for their e-mail newsletter on their website, and there are other codes available here:http://www.retailmenot.com/view/extendedstayhotels.com for longer stays. Personally, I managed a rate of around $100 for beginning of January for the ESA.

Archived