NCL Miami Lays off 50+ Employees

It seems to be the trend in the travel industry for sure. . .All the airlines have laid off thousands in the past ten years. . .Airlines that were once "great" such as Pan Am, TWA, Eastern, are extinct now looks like United might be headed that way . . .

I am sorry for the people laid off. . .hope things in the economy turns around soon. . .

Yes Union's are not looked at favorably by many people, but ours did help us avoid a layoff. When our office got wind of layoff plans we went and got ourselves unionized. Went through 3 years of hammering (buy outs, reorganizing, etc.) by HQ, but we had national Union attorneys on our side. So last year HQ gave up (for now) eliminating our office. We are still working, wary of HQ, and unionized.

Plus NCL gives me a Union discount!

among the other jobs I have had and posted here on cruise critic I was the general counsel(for 10 years) to a teamsters local....and no one went to jail...(except one Business Agent an ex cop who had an illegal firearm and was caught with it at a picket line....he served 6 months of weekends).....

I agree that there used to be a social contract. A career used to mean a career with one company. Once you got in with one company, you stayed with them and they stayed with you. Then in the 80's I started noticing that new employees with less experience were being offered more money than I was making. The firm was more concerned with finding good staff than in keeping what they had. They took us for granted, but people quickly learned that the only way to make money was to hop from place to place every few years. It is very sad and a big part of why customer service is down. I don't care how smart you are, you can't give the quality of service when you are new to a company that you can with years under your belt.

knew the subject of unions versus non union would come up on this thread sooner or later. I was going to put my 2 cents worth in, but have decided to stay out of this one.

Nita

Nita I wish you would. You know I am a "Nita" fan and enjoy reading your opinions on different subjects.

I agree that there used to be a social contract. A career used to mean a career with one company. Once you got in with one company, you stayed with them and they stayed with you. Then in the 80's I started noticing that new employees with less experience were being offered more money than I was making. The firm was more concerned with finding good staff than in keeping what they had. They took us for granted, but people quickly learned that the only way to make money was to hop from place to place every few years. It is very sad and a big part of why customer service is down. I don't care how smart you are, you can't give the quality of service when you are new to a company that you can with years under your belt.

I'm going to take this even a step further. Its hard, as an employee, to ever develope loyality to a company knowing you could be gone at any minute. It gets harder and harder to really want to give 110% any more, knowing you could be the best at what you do, and still gone tomorrow.

I do agree that there used to be the social contract. I can actually remember when AT&T (the equipment division that used to manufacture the actual telephones in peoples homes) they used to encourage their employees to get family members to come to work for them because they wanted it to be a family lifetime business where entire familys worked their entire lives for AT&T. TRUST me.. AT&T isnt that way any more.

I am sorry I think unions are worthless. I worked for TWA for several years before they were bought out by American. Bottom line the union didnt do a single thing for us TWA employees everything we had is GONE!

On a second note is NCL in trouble? Or just cutting like everyone else.

I know they are not on the stock exchange so its hard to find out there financial situation.

I am sorry I think unions are worthless. I worked for TWA for several years before they were bought out by American. Bottom line the union didnt do a single thing for us TWA employees everything we had is GONE!

On a second note is NCL in trouble? Or just cutting like everyone else.

I know they are not on the stock exchange so its hard to find out there financial situation.

Probably cuttting like everyone else: of course these type of threads do bring out many who will sware NCL is going under....

Nita

Nita, am shy to ask but I have been looking for a friend named Nita for a few years. Your answers are always similar to the kind she would write.

is your husbands name Walt?

Thanks,

Nancy

Don't be shy to ask, but no, Dh is Patrick. I hope you can find her. I too have a few friends I would love to find. It seems the net is one of the best places, but even that doesn't always work...

Nita

Archived