Lido Dinner

Ewokdude

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers']I have made it a point to go there first after dinner because of some people asking about the Lido and how it is set up. Some people have even asked -- how were the people dressed. I couldn;t answer them if I didn't go and check it out.[/QUOTE]

I was one of those who asked since you've been on so many cruises. And I appreciate you giving me feedback on this topic. I've also asked you quite a few other questions which you have always graciously answered for me. :)

And thanks again for the PG menu. We're going to try it out this time. We tried to make it to the PG for breakfast, but we somehow missed out on the time change and it was closed by the time we got there! lol I even brought along a highlighter to highlight these things on the daily sheets...and I still missed it!

[quote name='watchdiva']

I don't "fit" on the HAL boards (that's for sure) but I would ask that those of you that have a wealth of experience to share with those exploring whether a HAL cruise is right for them, to continue sharing your love of HAL. To others who feel the need to deride, denigrate or be (to put it kindly) less than kind when offering comments and/or opinions, I would caution that once you put words out there in cyberspace, you cannot recall them. New visitors to HAL don't know you or HAL, they come here to learn - think before you post about how your words may come across.

This post was not meant to sound like a sermon and I do apologize if it has come across that way.

[/QUOTE]

It doesn't sound like a sermon to me. I've said the same thing to a couple of other posters on this board (who haven't posted on this thread...yet). Like you, I don't really "fit" here, but I am here because we love HAL. :)

Repeated phrases and refrains like ...

"vocal" ones
and
"vocal few"

... being applied to only certain people (i.e., those advocating only one side of a discussion, and never the other side ... no matter how "vocal" that other side is) have a very familiar "ring" to them.

[quote name='twinkletoes4445']It doesn't sound like a sermon to me. I've said the same thing to a couple of other posters on this board (who haven't posted on this thread...yet). Like you, I don't really "fit" here, but [b]I am here because we love HAL. :)[/b][/QUOTE]

All the more reason to post here. :)

[quote name='RevNeal']Yes, indeed. Here you are, trying to be helpful when others ask questions, and those who disagree with your opinion and observation are trying to spin your intentions in a negative light. We've seen that before on this board

Completley disagree with your statement. Photomikey was responding to KK's post that clearly stated that she goes to the Lido "to see how people are dressed". Her intent on that particular post was clear, put did not include her clarification of a later post.

As to those posters rethinking the possibility of their first HAL cruise based on a few comments of those with strong opposing opinions, please do not base your decision based on their comments. They would love it for those that disagree withthem go to some other cruise line so as not to "ruin" their cruise.

I sometimes wish I could cruise with some of those posters just so I could "ruin" their cruise simply by doing what I want and enjoying my cruise.;) :D But I doubt our paths will ever cross.

[quote name='topspot']Completley disagree with your statement. Photomikey was responding to KK's post that clearly stated that she goes to the Lido "to see how people are dressed". Her intent on that particular post was clear, put did not include her clarification of a later post.[/QUOTE]

Having read KK's posts for years, and knowing what she does and how she reports and answers questions and helps people, it sure looked like part of the "usual pattern" to me. You're certainly entitled to disagree.

[quote name='RevNeal']Repeated phrases and refrains like ...

"vocal" ones
and
"vocal few"

... being applied to only certain people (i.e., those advocating only one side of a discussion, and never the other side ... no matter how "vocal" that other side is) have a very familiar "ring" to them.[/quote]

I used the term vocal ones in my post to Taxguy7 to advise him to enjoy his cruise and not be discouraged by people who make comments like

Slob
Low Class
Lowest Common Denominator
Jeans belong on a farm
Dress so I'm glad I cleaned my eyeglasses (or something like that)

RevNeal,

You may have the advantage of knowing KKs history over several years, but not everyone in this community has that same experience. KKs statement on that post (taken at face value) was clear, she goes to the Lido to see how other pax are dressed. She later cleared that up, but that post was clear.

[quote name='topspot']As to those posters rethinking the possibility of their first HAL cruise based on a few comments of those with strong opposing opinions, please do not base your decision based on their comments. They would love it for those that disagree withthem go to some other cruise line so as not to "ruin" their cruise.

I sometimes wish I could cruise with some of those posters just so I could "ruin" their cruise simply by doing what I want and enjoying my cruise.;) :D But I doubt our paths will ever cross.[/QUOTE]

There are 14 ships in the HAL fleet ... your chances of actually "ruining" any specific person's cruise are slim. Besides, your assumptions regarding what would ruin cruises is way off the mark (and reflective of an unfortunate set of uncharitable presumptions).

My advice to those posters who are rethinking the possibility of their first HAL cruise based upon the conflict you're seeing on this board ... please, don't worry about it. Some people enjoy expressing their preferences in the kind of cruise they like (down to and including the "atmosphere" they're looking for), while others enjoy beating them up for it. [B]None of this reflects what happens aboard ship.[/B]

Go and enjoy yourselves. And that goes for [B]EVERYBODY[/B].

[quote name='RevNeal']Yes, indeed. Here you are, trying to be helpful when others ask questions, and those who disagree with your opinion and observation are trying to spin your intentions in a negative light. We've seen that before on this board. :(

Just a mental note on the table-cloth issue. EVERY Damship I've ever been on has has the Lido set up as a restaurant with table cloths, etc., on the PASSENGER side. On the Officer/Staff side of the Lido, however, the tables do NOT have table cloths and the service is set up buffet style. So ... it [I]may[/I] be that those times when it has been noted that the Lido was a full-fledged buffet without tablecloth or candle it was the Officer/Staff side that was being seen, not the Passenger side.

And I know because, while I've only eaten dinner in the Lido ONCE (since 1994) as a Passenger, I've been up there on several occasions with officers, staff, etc ... and I usually do a walk-about to see how things are going so I, too, can answer questions.

So, let any who want to judge me and spin my intentions into a negative light ... have at me (you would have anyway).[/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Thank You Greg!![/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Back in 2005 I reported that when we retuned from a Ryndam cruise (Mexico/Sea of Cortez) there weren't any table cloths on the tables in the Lido and everything was buffet. We had over 200 children on board and I am not certain if that made a difference on how the Lido was set up for dinner.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='twinkletoes4445']I was one of those who asked since you've been on so many cruises. And I appreciate you giving me feedback on this topic. I've also asked you quite a few other questions which you have always graciously answered for me. :)

And thanks again for the PG menu. We're going to try it out this time. We tried to make it to the PG for breakfast, but we somehow missed out on the time change and it was closed by the time we got there! lol I even brought along a highlighter to highlight these things on the daily sheets...and I still missed it![/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Remember -- the Pinnacle breakfast times won't be listed in the daily program. You just have to look at the main dining room times -- the Pinnacle is open at the same time.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Enjoy!![/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Thank You Greg!![/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Back in 2005 I reported that when we retuned from a Ryndam cruise (Mexico/Sea of Cortez) there weren't any table cloths on the tables in the Lido and everything was buffet. We had over 200 children on board and I am not certain if that made a difference on how the Lido was set up for dinner.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]

On both sides of the Lido ... on the side catering to passengers as well as on the side serving dinner for Staff and Officers?

[quote name='Culater']OK, I said we didn't take any formal clothes, but on the last formal night we did a no=no. I went to the formal night dressed smart casual. OK, I felt a little self conscious, but I noticed I was not alone so I felt OK with it and enjoyed my meal.
[/QUOTE]
I've done that numerous times and I did not feel in the slightest bit out of place. In fact, I was dressed just as nicely as at least 75% of my fellow diners.

As you said, HAL really doesn't enforce the dress code that stringently. I honestly consider their guidelines as just that ... guidelines. I've yet to be asked to leave the dining room on a formal night because of my manner of dress, and I doubt anyone but the most sloppy would be.

My feeling is that I dress the way I feel comfortable, with certainly a respectful nod to my fellow diners. I will certainly not walk into the dining room dressed like a slob ... in tee-shirt and jeans, flip flops, etc. ... on any night be it formal or smart casual. But I certainly don't have to wear a floor-length gown either just because HAL has designated it as a "formal night" and a relatively small number of my fellow passengers seem to think I should.

A cruise is what it should be for you. My philosophy has always been respect your fellow passengers, but above all respect yourself. If you feel comfortable in a nice "smart casual" sort of dress style, then wear it. If others don't like it, that's their problem.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='RevNeal']All the more reason to post here. :)[/QUOTE]

That's true. :) There's a lot of info posted here, that's for sure. And thank you again for taking the time to post those marvelous daily reviews from your Eurodam cruise. I didn't post too terribly often since there were so many other posts...but I really did enjoy what you had to say...the good and the area that could be improved. Very balanced, I thought. And the pictures were wonderful! :)

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Remember -- the Pinnacle breakfast times won't be listed in the daily program. You just have to look at the main dining room times -- the Pinnacle is open at the same time.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Enjoy!![/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]

Ohhh...I'd forgotten about that. Thanks. The morning we were going to go to the PG was the morning the ship was to arrive in Tortola (I believe we were in port from noon-10 or so). Anyway, somehow we completely missed the entire "move your clocks forward one hour" notice. Once we figured out our mistake, we noticed the time change info was posted on the ship and in our daily guide. How we missed this, who knows. lol We ended up going elsewhere...maybe the NL. We loved that place and ended up going there a lot more than we thought we would. Somehow we never made it back to the PG after that morning. A 7-day cruise just was too short for me. I'm glad we're doing a 10-day next time...and I hope a longer one is in our near future. :)

[quote name='watchdiva']Thank you both for your response and for reminding me that some of the more "vocal" posters on certain issues are likely not truly reflective of the majority of HAL cruisers. Every board has hot-button issues but I confess that at times I have been absolutely appalled at some of the comments that I have read on the HAL boards.

To wit - on another thread about HAL vs NCL cruising - "trailer trash", "that type of demographic", "lowest common denominator" etc - these are derogatory (at best) if used in the privacy of ones home but to actually think it's "ok" to post these comments on a public message board when describing other passengers defies belief. I recall asking the poster specifically to explain his comments and never received a response. Does that mean my request for an explanation was beneath him or that the poster was too embarrassed at being challenged about his comments to respond. I guess I'll never know.

I have also noticed that the response level to some of the more inflammatory comments that I have seen differs depending upon who has done the posting.

I have posted previously on the HAL boards a few years ago when I was a newbie to the HAL boards that I didn't always perceive it as the most welcoming environment; sadly after being absent for quite a period of months from the HAL boards, I returned a few months ago to again feel that "the more things change the more they remain the same" - same old arguments (smokers vs non-smokers, dress codes etc) with the usual players still deeply entrenched in their positions but with less politeness than a few years ago.

I don't "fit" on the HAL boards (that's for sure) but I would ask that those of you that have a wealth of experience to share with those exploring whether a HAL cruise is right for them, to continue sharing your love of HAL. To others who feel the need to deride, denigrate or be (to put it kindly) less than kind when offering comments and/or opinions, I would caution that once you put words out there in cyberspace, you cannot recall them. New visitors to HAL don't know you or HAL, they come here to learn - think before you post about how your words may come across.

This post was not meant to sound like a sermon and I do apologize if it has come across that way.

I thank those of you who added to my fund of knowledge about HAL.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][B]Thank you for your comments. We are fairly new to Cruise Critic and honestly when we started reading some of the "Nasty" Name calling stuff we started to think maybe the HAL crowd would not approve of us being on THEIR SHIP. We considered a cancellation. But due to the kind words of you and others like you...we now believe that those OP are in the minority. It also seems that some of the OP can dish it out.. But some cannot take a rebuttal response very well. We had someone have our post REMOVED because they did not like (were offended) by the returned response. I cannot say I love to dress up because of physical limitations and I also would rather be comfortable. We are, however, excited to dress up on at least one night. We did speak directly with a HAL rep and on formal nights sport coats & slacks for men are fine (everywhere)...It's just nice to have choices and to feel OK about it. I hope we do not get "dirty looks" if we do not meet someones standards. So Thanks again[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='tdcruisers'][COLOR=darkorchid][B]Thank you for your comments. We are fairly new to Cruise Critic and honestly when we started reading some of the "Nasty" Name calling stuff we started to think maybe the HAL crowd would not approve of us being on THEIR SHIP. We considered a cancellation. But due to the kind words of you and others like you...we now believe that those OP are in the minority. It also seems that some of the OP can dish it out.. But some cannot take a rebuttal response very well. We had someone have our post REMOVED because they did not like (were offended) by the returned response. I cannot say I love to dress up because of physical limitations and I also would rather be comfortable. We are, however, excited to dress up on at least one night. We did speak directly with a HAL rep and on formal nights sport coats & slacks for men are fine (everywhere)...It's just nice to have choices and to feel OK about it. I hope we do not get "dirty looks" if we do not meet someones standards. So Thanks again[/B][/COLOR][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]A hot tip: Ignore dirty looks and/or give those that feel the need to look down on you a big smile. It'll make your day! Enjoy your first HAL cruise![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Back to the OP's question -

Our experience was that any reasonable attire (including nice shorts) was worn in the Lido for dinner. The Lido is THE ALTERNATIVE for folks who don't want to dress up for dinner, don't want to have a prolonged dinner or perhaps are too tired to carry on polite conversation with table mates.

We found that no matter what we wore (we always looked clean and "put together") we were served wonderful food by gracious waiters. Other diners in the Lido wore everything from nice shorts/shirt to semi-formal. It was a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere which we tended to gravitate toward. On our 7 day cruise, more than half of our dinners were in the Lido and it wasn't planned that way initially.

We are about to take a 14 day HAL cruise and expect to eat at the Lido frequently. We enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. However, when we do eat in the dining room, we'll dress according to the ship's attire for the evening.

[quote name='RevNeal']On both sides of the Lido ... on the side catering to passengers as well as on the side serving dinner for Staff and Officers?[/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Both sides -- first time I had ever seen that.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]We have sailed several times since then on the Ryndam and the table cloths were there.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='twinkletoes4445']That's true. :) There's a lot of info posted here, that's for sure. And thank you again for taking the time to post those marvelous daily reviews from your Eurodam cruise. I didn't post too terribly often since there were so many other posts...but I really did enjoy what you had to say...the good and the area that could be improved. Very balanced, I thought. And the pictures were wonderful! :)[/QUOTE]

You're very welcome ... and thank you for your kind remarks. I put up another gallery page of photos today. I hope to put nose-to-the-grindstone next week and get the rest finished and uploaded by the end of next week. It is do-able ... my schedule the last 3 weeks has been very heavy, what with normal weekly duties plus 3 funerals and a wedding! However, assuming everybody stays healthy and alive, I should have a fairly quiet week ahead of me.

[quote name='tdcruisers'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][B] It also seems that some of the OP can dish it out.. But some cannot take a rebuttal response very well. We had someone have our post REMOVED because they did not like (were offended) by the returned response. [/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
LOL ... don't feel bad. I've been the cause of ENTIRE THREADS being removed. Someone complains ... and Zip!

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='RevNeal']You're very welcome ... and thank you for your kind remarks. I put up another gallery page of photos today. I hope to put nose-to-the-grindstone next week and get the rest finished and uploaded by the end of next week. It is do-able ... my schedule the last 3 weeks has been very heavy, what with normal weekly duties plus 3 funerals and a wedding! However, assuming everybody stays healthy and alive, I should have a fairly quiet week ahead of me.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to seeing the new pictures. I'll have to check it out. :)

That is a busy schedule. I sure hope you do have a quiet week ahead... :)

[quote name='twinkletoes4445']I'm looking forward to seeing the new pictures. I'll have to check it out. :)

That is a busy schedule. I sure hope you do have a quiet week ahead... :)[/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Greg's pictures are GREAT!![/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]I followed his thread and really enjoyed all his pictures and there and on his link.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Greg's pictures are GREAT!![/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]I followed his thread and really enjoyed all his pictures and there and on his link.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]

I can't find them. I went to the link, but I don't see the Eurodam pics. What am I doing wrong?

Archived