What activities at meet and greet

mew1

At the last Meet and Greet I organized on the Pearl, each family brought a small ($10 or less) gift made in their city or state or for some, country. We put numbers in a hat and chose gifts. the gifts were wrapped. This was quite fun. We are from the Memphis, TN area where BBQ is king, so we brought BBQ sauce. Other gifts were coffee mugs, local college team T-shirts, a decorative piece made from Olive wood, etc. Everyone doesn't have to participate, but it's quite fun.

We also went around the room and told a little about our families and interests.

Several families went on excursions together that we had planned on the boards before the cruise, so it was nice to meet the folks that you were going to be on excursions with later in the week.

Carole

I have emailed the ships coordinator for the Sun twice now regarding a meet and greet for our sailing. I have not heard back from her. Can anyone who has planned a meet and greet tell me how long this should take? I think it's been about 9 days ago and I just emailed again two days ago. Maybe I'm being too impatient but I don't want to just let it go and find out I didn't give them enough time. We're just under a month til sailing. Thanks!

Kristy

We've done the gift exchange on two cruises, and they're great fun.

For anyone wanting to do this, HERE'S A TIP: If you have a family group or group of friends traveling together in your M&G group, let them choose their gifts first so they can make sure not to get a gift selected by another member of their group. The first time we did this, we had a mom and three grown daughters from Texas in our group. They ended up choosing last, and they ended up with each other's gifts!

I did the M&G on ourt last cruise. We had an active Roll call which helps. The Ship Coordinator set us up for first day at sea t 10:00am I gave her all the info about 2 weeks before sailing. I had spoken to her earlier about the setup and she just needed the numbers. You don't want to make it too long since people want to do other activities. We had coffee, tea ,juice and some pasteries. Some of the Senior officers showerd up to speak to us for about 10-15 mintues where we then asked some questions. One person made name tags, I made up some lanyards and wrist key rings with a laminated photo of out ship and the itinerary and port times on the back so everyone knew when to come and go. I also made a door sign with our cruising infor on it and room for your screen name which some folks downloaded before the cruise to hang on their doors. The M&G lasted about an hour which was plenty of time for everyone to say hello and get to put the faces with the CC screen names and take group photo. We had great time!

I have emailed the ships coordinator for the Sun twice now regarding a meet and greet for our sailing. I have not heard back from her. Can anyone who has planned a meet and greet tell me how long this should take? I think it's been about 9 days ago and I just emailed again two days ago. Maybe I'm being too impatient but I don't want to just let it go and find out I didn't give them enough time. We're just under a month til sailing. Thanks!

Kristy

I have never had the response take more than 3 days. I e-mailed the Pearl coordinator and heard back from her the next day.

Carole

Kristy,

I think you should have heard something by now...I was contacted within a couple days. The event coordinators are located in Miami, so maybe the storm has something to do with it...who knows. We are going on the Pearl, but Maybelin's (our coordinator) phone number is 1-800-327-9020 (Ext-7767), maybe she can help you get connected with the person for the Sun. Good luck.

I setup our meet and greet on our last CCL cruise. We met at a bar on the ship and it was great puting a face to the names. We also spent most of the cruise with one of our roll call members and had over 60 CCers on our excurstion in St. Lucia.

Next; our CC Group to Bermuda. Can't wait!:D :cool:

Kristy,

I think you should have heard something by now...I was contacted within a couple days. The event coordinators are located in Miami, so maybe the storm has something to do with it...who knows. We are going on the Pearl, but Maybelin's (our coordinator) phone number is 1-800-327-9020 (Ext-7767), maybe she can help you get connected with the person for the Sun. Good luck.

Thanks for the help and the phone number Paula. I do know the name of the event coordinator for our cruise and I also know that she is off on Fridays so I will try her tomorrow at that number. I'm not sure why she isn't getting back to me, kind of strange. Maybe she figures it's early enough so there's plenty of time. I would have appreciated an acknowledgement of my email though so that I know for sure it was received. I'm sure the cruisers on the roll call would like to know what's going on too. Thanks again.

Kristy

Kristy,

When I did ours a couple weeks ago, I got an automated message receipt back within minutes. So, if you didn't get that, I would be concerned. I sent my request to groupeventpearl@ncl.com, of course you would substitute "sun" for "pearl".

If I remember correctly I did get a read receipt back when I emailed 9 days ago. When I emailed the second time, two days ago, I did not get a read receipt. I can't begin to fathom why she didn't actually respond to my first email. I also emailed her about doing the Bon Voyage party in our room and she didn't respond to that either. :confused:

Kristy

If you plan a meet and greet, make sure you plan on name tags. We put our screen names on them, and that's how we addressed each other whenever we met in passing later in the cruise.

Definitely go with the gift idea. We made it optional (Bring one - get one). And we did a Chinese raffle ... when your name is called you can either take one from the table or go steal one (in which case the victim then got to go pick a replacement). Ours was a $15 limit and my gift (from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame) was rather popular.

. . . And we did a Chinese raffle ... when your name is called you can either take one from the table or go steal one (in which case the victim then got to go pick a replacement). . . .

Those of us from New England would call thta a "Yankee Swap". :)

Those of us from New England would call thta a "Yankee Swap". :)

We've had a Yankee Swap at 2 of our CC Meet & Greets, except we swapped something edible from each person's state. They went over really well and provided a snack for everyone to take back to their cabin....except for one....Someone actually exchanged "Old Bay Seasoning"! Can you imagine getting that for your swap! LOL! So reluctantly we took it and gave it to the chef. Even funnier......My hubby and I actually suspected one of the dishes was made with it! ROFL

290_6216_oldbaycan.gif

Hi,

I've been fortunate since most of our roll call members attended our meet and greet which was extremely lively. The ship's group planning coordinator attended along with the cruise director.

The ship's group planning coordinator was very impressed with our meet and greet because of the great conversations that were occurring. We weren't terribly loud however, you could feel the energy and excitement in the voices of both veteran and first time cruisers.

One suggestion I have would be to remove most of the chairs in the meet and greet area and encourage the guests to stand. This will help people mingle and circulate with each other. If people are standing they are more inclined to move and speak with more members as compared to sitting and conversing with others at the table or while sitting. Fortunately we had the best of both worlds as most stood and sat only when they were tired.

Hi,

I've been fortunate since most of our roll call members attended our meet and greet which was extremely lively. The ship's group planning coordinator attended along with the cruise director.

The ship's group planning coordinator was very impressed with our meet and greet because of the great conversations that were occurring. We weren't terribly loud however, you could feel the energy and excitement in the voices of both veteran and first time cruisers.

One suggestion I have would be to remove most of the chairs in the meet and greet area and encourage the guests to stand. This will help people mingle and circulate with each other. If people are standing they are more inclined to move and speak with more members as compared to sitting and conversing with others at the table or while sitting. Fortunately we had the best of both worlds as most stood and sat only when they were tired.

Just don't forget that some of us are unable to stand for more than a short period of time. As long as there are enough chairs for those who NEED them as well as those who WANT them. :D

We've had a Yankee Swap at 2 of our CC Meet & Greets, except we swapped something edible from each person's state. They went over really well and provided a snack for everyone to take back to their cabin....except for one....Someone actually exchanged "Old Bay Seasoning"! Can you imagine getting that for your swap! LOL! So reluctantly we took it and gave it to the chef. Even funnier......My hubby and I actually suspected one of the dishes was made with it! ROFL

290_6216_oldbaycan.gif

Hey, if you are from Maryland, Old Bay IS a snack....just give us a spoon! Of course, putting it on some Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs, or potato chips, or salads, or.....you get the idea...... would be even better! ;)

You can also inquire with the Ship Coordinator if one of the Garden Villas is vacant for a tour.

We had a tour of the Garden Villa at our last roll call. Of course it helped that someone in our roll call was actually staying in the Garden Villa! LOL! Parties abound! :D

Guest Anorak33

On our last T/A I couldn't even get up to deck 14 to deliver reminder letters or nametag/lanyards so the Villa people didn't get their info etc. Once I rode the elevator until someone put their coded keycard in and I went up with them but was accosted by a butler and sent packing.

However they didn't seem to want to venture downstairs much anyway so it probably didn't matter much.

It gets very cliquey up there, particularly with certain passengers who don't seem to post on here any more, at least under any names I would recognise from the past.

On our last T/A I couldn't even get up to deck 14 to deliver reminder letters or nametag/lanyards so the Villa people didn't get their info etc. Once I rode the elevator until someone put their coded keycard in and I went up with them but was accosted by a butler and sent packing.

However they didn't seem to want to venture downstairs much anyway so it probably didn't matter much.

It gets very cliquey up there, particularly with certain passengers who don't seem to post on here any more, at least under any names I would recognise from the past.

Why would you need to deliver anything to them? If the roll call agrees on a place to meet or it's set up by the Ship Coordinator, then if they want to participate they will. Pass out the name tags at the M&G.

Besides, once you meet them and additional gatherings are scheduled, all you need to do is call them on the phone or ask the Concierge to pass on a message. Simple really.

Guest Anorak33

In an ideal world where the co-ordinator didn't change just before the cruise and where she was efficient and helpful and understood a bit more than basic English then what you have said would be great and would have worked.

I was doing it for the first (and last ) time, you have of course done it many times and would have avoided some of my mistakes.

I only had 130 folk signed up but it was enough to keep me busy.

Probably hard for you to understand but I am oldfashioned and don't like doing things on the phone, whether its banking or whatever. Nothing like the written word for avoiding misunderstandings.

As far as passing out the tags at the M and G I was on one T/A ( not one you were involved with of course) where the person who was to bring them turned up an hour late, ruined the whole thing, people didn't really get to identify each other easily.

Archived