Play Meet the Ship

Gone to Sea

I could use some help. Has anyone ever got off the ship in one port and then met it at the next? We want to do this on our New Zealand trip as there are too much stuff on one port that we would like to see.

I would love some advice if this is easy or difficult. If you have done it, how did it work out? Do we need to pre-arrange before we go, or on the boat?

Like I said, this is in New Zealand. We are independent travelers, if that helps.

Thanks in advance and take care!

We have done it before,but as part of a ships excursion.

One risk you run is that the ship may not be able to get into the port you intend meeting it at ,due to weather conditions.

This happened once last year when the ships tour left for an overnight and were due to be picked up in Milford Sound.The weather changed ,Milford was cancelled and the ship had to wait 6 hours for the party to turn around and come back .

Which ports are you intending to leave and rejoin the ship?

It would also depend on the order of your calls,eg Au to NZ,or NZ to Au.

I haven't heard of it but, regardless of what you wind up doing, make sure you let the ship's staff (GRM, Front Office, ) know. Otherwise they'l be looking all over the place for you when the security/I.D. system at the gangway shows you still off the ship at "all aboard" time.

I would also consider checking to see if there is a NZ immigration potential problem. When you are in port for the day and sail that same day you are considered "in transit" It may not be the same if you actually leave the ship at one port and rejoin it at another. I would surely check with the cruise line, spelling out in detail what you would like to do.:)

I would also consider checking to see if there is a NZ immigration potential problem

Very good point.The ship may very well be holding your passport.It is quite usual for officials to board in the previous country and process the documentation during the cruise.

As much as we love cruising, we're so glad that we toured NZ independently, rather than by cruise ship. About 10 yrs ago, we spent 3 weeks in NZ with a rental campervan and would do so again in a heartbeat. DH was apprehensive about driving on the other side of the road, but did so without any problems. I'd found a company that had automatic transmissions so I could also drive, but DH never let me behind the wheel. :rolleyes: Even though he can drive a stick, it was just one thing less to deal with being a different side of the vehicle than he's accustomed.

This is one place that "independent travelers" may have better options for their needs than a cruise. Someday we may cruise NZ, but it will be for the cruise experience, rather than to see NZ.

Whatever you do, have a GREAT time - NZ is a wonderful country.

I have heard of this done in Italy on Celebrity where it is easy to catch the ship by train from several ports. It seems that people ask for permission in advance so that all arrangements go smoothly. Of course you collect your passports from the front desk (if they are holding them) when you get off the ship--you generally need them to check into a hotel.

If you are traveling within NZ the only additional issue that I could see would be a tourist visa clarification. If HAL offers excursions like this for their passengers there is no reason it can't be done on your own ( like people do in Egypt)

Good luck and enjoy planning your adventure.

If you are traveling within NZ the only additional issue that I could see would be a tourist visa clarification.

Unless there has been a recent change, Americans don't need visas to travel in NZ, just a passport. They may also require evidence that you have ongoing travel reservations, although I've never been asked for them on my several independent visits to NZ.

Note: Americans do need a Visa to travel in Australia.

Bob

I was on the Statendam in 2006 Hong Kong to Osaka which was a wonderful trip. In Shanghai the ship was delayed leaving about 2 hours when some passengers were not yet back on board. The government officials refused the ship permission to leave until everyone was accounted for. Finally another passenger reported that the group in question had left the ship with the intention of rejoining a few days later in the port of Beijing. Apparently the group had not notified the ship of their plans and it was of course a big mess. Missing a port to rejoin is also always a possibility. So weigh all the issues carefully before making your decision. Pre or post cruise travelling may be the best choice. I'll be having a few days in NZ before Volendam Auckland to Hong Kong in March. I'm sure I will wish it were longer. Have a great trip.

Cindyicon7.gif

thanks for the advice! Lots of stuff to ponder. We do not have time after our trip and the two ports are Tauranga and Napier, so it does not feel like a push, but not sure if we will or will not. So much to do around there with the caves and the termal areas.

Just so you know, we would never just "take off" without making sure everything is pre-planned and everyone is notified.

You are all great! Thanks for the great responses.

As the others have said, I've seen it done and I've also seen problems with people who did it. Three years ago, a couple on our cruise disembarked in Casablanca, stayed over in Marrakech and met the ship in Agadir. They informed the ship's staff well ahead of time of their plans and provided their itinerary; it worked out well for them and they had a great time.

On my Sydney to LA cruise in April/May, there was a ship's excursion dropping passengers off in Milford Sound for a ship's overnight tour, meeting the ship in Dunedin the next day. Due to high winds, we were unable to get to Dunedin and had to sail on to Auckland. They were put up at a lovely hotel for the night in Dunedin, given another tour, and flew to Auckland the next day. They were tired but had a fabulous time. If someone were doing this independently, they probably could have made their own arrangements and met the ship the next day but it would have been expensive with no guarantees they could get to the ship in time the next day.

the two ports are Tauranga and Napier,

Some local info for you.

I have not heard of Tauranga being missed yet, but Napier is a small port and open to the easterly winds and sea swells. One year Statendam pulled alongside the dock,but because of the heavy swell running that day the Captain could not secure a safe docking and so he turned around , sailed off ,and missed the call.

As always it depends on the weather.

Archived