Dunn's River Falls/Tubing

DougYWG

My family would like to take the Dunn's River Falls tour and the river tubing. We will book with one of the excellent recommendations given on these boards BUT here is my personal dilemma. I cannot swim and do not like to get my face wet as in suddenly having to jump into a pool and going under. I will splash about in the pool or in the ocean but that's about it. How deep is the water at the tubing site? Am I likely to fall in and be in a panic

I am not 100% sure if Dunn's River Falls/River Tubing would be for me. I want to go with my family but don't want to be freaking out if we have to jump into pools and get really wet. But of course want to go with the family if I can.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I have read all the threads on Ports of Call and found them very interesting and helpful but none really answered my particular question.

2 months today - leaving on Navigator December 24 and can't wait.

Dunn;s River Falls you walk up the falls. Some places can be chest deep and others ankle deep. There is a sport where you can slide down an area which will put your face under. There is another spot where you can stand under a water fall.

The tubing is done in another river which in some ares will be deeper then others but unless you tip or fall over you should be ok.

Have fun in the sun. Happy holidays.

I agree. You should be okay. My friend is not a swimmer and she went up the falls, all the way to the top actually, and she loved the tubing. I would say that there are some points where you can flip in your tube, nothing serious, but the water is no more than waste deep at the highest point. It was so great. I wish I could have skipped the falls. I scraped up my legs and got out at the half way point. The falls really are beautiful. Go and enjoy!

Even if you're not a swimmer, the tubing will be fine. Heck, I spent more time out of my tube than in. I kept getting stuck along the shore and had to pull it back to the middle of the river. :rolleyes: Other than the swimming hole at the end, I don't remember the water being more than 4 feet deep anywhere. Don't miss this excursion. It's one of the most fun things you'll do. :D

Beth

The main thing about Dunn River Falls is that you need to be in good physical condition. You hold hands with the people on either side of you and you climb huge rocks with the water beating against you. If you have bad knees don't even try it.

We have done the Fall's 2 times (yes we liked it). That said, it is a wet climb up over 800 ft into the falling water. You will be splashed and completly soaked. My wife was and still is 'NOT' a swimmer but had no problem. Our daughter went her 1st time at 10, then again at 15.

I wish I could have skipped the falls. I scraped up my legs and got out at the half way point. The falls really are beautiful. Go and enjoy!

So, if you are climbing the falls, and decide it's too difficult for you, or you're nervous of the heights or whatever, you can get off? I sometimes get nervous with heights, but everyone says the falls are not to be missed. Sometimes I have a bad back, and I'm concerned that it might be a problem on the falls as well.

We have done this a number of times and each and every time it is a blast. The island literally take you by the hand and tug a whole line of people up the falls. There are pools of water a couple of feet deep along the way and they dunk you in there. We had a blast and would definately do it every time we stop there.

So, if you are climbing the falls, and decide it's too difficult for you, or you're nervous of the heights or whatever, you can get off? I sometimes get nervous with heights, but everyone says the falls are not to be missed. Sometimes I have a bad back, and I'm concerned that it might be a problem on the falls as well.

I recall only one point, about half way up, where you can get off the falls. If you're afraid of heights just don't look back, keep looking up river. But if you have a really bad back I'd suggest not climbing the falls but got instead to the viewing platforms and watch others do the climb. It is very strenuous.

DougYWG...I know exactly how you feel. I am not a swimmer and don't know how to swim. In fact, I hate the water...but I love cruising. We did Dunns Falls and River Tubing this past summer and I absolutely LOVED every minute of it.

Be sure to wear water shoes when climbing the rocks. It gets pretty slippery at the top.

As for river tubing, it was a blast. I fell out of my tube once, only because I was paddling fast to race my family. I was soo... embarrased. :rolleyes: The water was barely waste deep and I was fine.

Hope this helps and have a great time. Be sure to report back to let us know how you did. HAVE FUN :D

Archived