Connecting Flights Luggage Problems?

gettingmarried

Hate to put this in writing as it may ruin our perfect record:D but so far never had a problem with luggage flying Buffalo via Atlanta to Florida. We like Atlanta as a connecting airport. I assume you are flying Airtran with a connection in Atlanta. We no longer book flights with connection times of less than 60 minutes for any airports and prefer the connection time of 90 minutes or longer as one never knows for certain if the first flight is going to be on time or running late and the connecting flight on time which can greatly shorten that connection time and I think short connection times are only asking for problems with luggage for any airline at any airport. Airtran has a good record for luggage so you should be fine.:)

Let start out with a fact: On any given day, on any given flight or set of flights, it is possible for a piece of luggage to "not make it". Now, on the other hand, if you check your luggage with plenty of time before departure, have a reasonable connection that operates with an on-time arrival, and are on a normal day of operations, it is heavily odds-on that your luggage will be there at your destination's baggage claim. It is also possible that you will be struck by lightning as you leave your house on the way to the airport.

Also, to the other posters....why are you assuming the OP is on AirTran?? There are many connections on DL from BUF to FLL via ATL.

One suggestion: Don’t pack a ‘his’ and a ‘hers’ suitcase separately. If you do and one goes missing that person is, well, without. Put some of each person’s items in each suitcase, so if one go missing, it will not completely ruin the trip.

Rich

Also, to the other posters....why are you assuming the OP is on AirTran?? There are many connections on DL from BUF to FLL via ATL.

For those of us that frequent the Buffalo to Florida routes Airtran is one of our top choices for flights and "almost" always has better pricing than DL. Also helps that the op had an Airtran question in the past couple of days:D

Thanks everyone for your comments and opinions regarding the luggage question. Yes, we had a nightmare last year when we flew from Toronto (where we live) to Fort Lauderdale on Air Canada. My hubbies luggage did not make it and he had literally NOTHING until 4 days later when we arrived in St Maarten!!! We did however this time plan on packing some of each others stuff in suitcases. Thanks everone! Happy cruis'zn

One suggestion: Don’t pack a ‘his’ and a ‘hers’ suitcase separately. If you do and one goes missing that person is, well, without. Put some of each person’s items in each suitcase, so if one go missing, it will not completely ruin the trip.

Rich

I totally agree with this suggestion last year we had no problem with luggage flew Delta thru Atlanta we had at least a 2hr layover no problem. But a gentleman on our transfer bus to the hotel that flew in from Canada his suitecase didn't make it and it was all his clothes finally about an hour before the bus left for the port it showed up lucky for him. I always cross pack.

Christine

I had this fear a couple of weeks ago when I flew to New Orleans and had a layover in Atl. There was no problem with the luggage. In fact they actually put our luggage on an earlier flight, we didnt know until we got to baggage claim and they called our names on the intercom and said come to the baggage claim services. At first I panicked but the lady said our luggage was already there hours before our flight landed because it got put on an earlier flight.

Flying from Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale making a connecting flight in Atlanta...does anyone have comments or opinions about the success of having your baggage go with you and arriving in Ft. Lauderdale at the same time?

Thanks

It's a crap shoot. Although, in my job (recently retired), I was on the road or in a plane about 180 days a year and never had a bag lost, stolen, damaged, misrouted or otherwise.

Archived