Surprising food

Summergee

I find nowadays that it's never quite as black-puddingy as it used to be.

J

Try this stuff from the Ainsty Farm Shop. I think that is very like the older style of black pudding.

Incidentally where did you get your camera cum beanbag thingy?

One or other of the three Jessops stores in York will have them. It costs £14.99. It's called "The Pod" and you can find more details about it here:

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s3100/1-132-166-340/Home/Accessories/Tripods-and--Supports/Table-Top-Tripods/Jessops/The-Pod-Camera-Support/details.aspx

J

Try this stuff from the Ainsty Farm Shop. I think that is very like the older style of black pudding.

Watch it, there!:D And that brings me to yet another story--for yet another day.

Quite right, J! But I need you all to get me through the next 12 days as I sit here doing nothing at work.

By the way, the St. Petersburg shots were stunning! Do you use an external flash unit indoors? Just took mine out of the box last night to hopefully figure out some basics for upcoming trip. I wonder if flash will be allowed in the Blue Mosque.

Michael

Michael, why are you doing nothing at work for the next 12 days?

Yeah, and, can you believe the gentleman knows nothing about photography, so he says. Right, uh--huh!

Like good black pudding :)

That's really funny, but I haven't a clue just what it must taste like. I mean, do you have to hold your nose to eat it or is it like eating meat--what?

Another question, Mother always told me to cook pork thoroughly--so if you are pouring pig's blood into a pudding, aren't you taking a chance of exposing yourself to trichinosis?:eek:

Funny you should mention Hurricanes PM, aren't they kind of a spectator sport in New York? Whereas we on the other hand are sometimes fleeing for our lives!! Yes the fear mongers on the TV stations are keeping us informed of the three storms, and it seems there is always at least one computer track that has them coming right up Galveston Bay. We are always happy to survive August and September.

You did mention Boudin (boo-dan) a while ago; our Cajun population keeps it regularly available here. A sausage usually stuffed with pork and rice, we also have it stuffed with crawfish and the occasional Alligator.

PS - Michael, I'd guess I left Scotland long before any of those establishments were though of. I left Scotland for Germany in November 1974 and wandered round the world after that without ever really going back (apart from the odd holiday when my parents were still alive)

Call me Ismael - N. Hawthorn - Pardon me Jimmy but don't you live in York which is sort of Cheek to Jowl with Scotland?

Funny you should mention Hurricanes PM, aren't they kind of a spectator sport in New York? Whereas we on the other hand are sometimes fleeing for our lives!! Yes the fear mongers on the TV stations are keeping us informed of the three storms, and it seems there is always at least one computer track that has them coming right up Galveston Bay. We are always happy to survive August and September.

You did mention Boudin (boo-dan) a while ago; our Cajun population keeps it regularly available here. A sausage usually stuffed with pork and rice, we also have it stuffed with crawfish and the occasional Alligator.

Call me Ismael - N. Hawthorn - Pardon me Jimmy but don't you live in York which is sort of Cheek to Jowl with Scotland?

Yes, I know--it's much worse there. I live in Connecticut and occasionally we get the aftermath from one of the storms--and we are supposed to get heavy winds and about 4 inches of rain on Saturday night. Really, our nor'easters in the winter, are (most of the time) more serious than a hurricane. It can happen here, however, so I shall knock on wood as I speak.

But as someone said to me the other day, that's why we live in New England.:

Oh, and by the way, one of Mark Twain's houses, the one he lived in in his older years and wrote quite a lot of stuff is in Hartford, CT. It is just beautiful. Did you ever visit?

Yes, I know--it's much worse there. I live in Connecticut and occasionally we get the aftermath from one of the storms--and we are supposed to get heavy winds and about 4 inches of rain on Saturday night. Really, our nor'easters in the winter, are (most of the time) more serious than a hurricane. It can happen here, however, so I shall knock on wood as I speak.

But as someone said to me the other day, that's why we live in New England.:

I spent 11 days one Sept. touring your beautiful part of America, Newport & the Cape up the Maine Coast and back down through NH, Vermont, and Connecticut. I didn't stick around for winter or the Nor'easters however.

Oh, and by the way, one of Mark Twain's houses, the one he lived in in his older years and wrote quite a lot of stuff is in Hartford, CT. It is just beautiful. Did you ever visit?

We came through Hartford on our journey but didn't see that home or Stormfield up in Redding where he later died.

A note of interest to the Brits might be that Rudyard Kipling lived for a time in Vermont (American wife) and he and Twain visited.

I have yet to find out whether or not he was able to get Black Pudding locally.

I spent 11 days one Sept. touring your beautiful part of America, Newport & the Cape up the Maine Coast and back down through NH, Vermont, and Connecticut. I didn't stick around for winter or the Nor'easters however.

We came through Hartford on our journey but didn't see that home or Stormfield up in Redding where he later died.

A note of interest to the Brits might be that Rudyard Kipling lived for a time in Vermont (American wife) and he and Twain visited.

I have yet to find out whether or not he was able to get Black Pudding locally.

In his house, way up stairs, there is a room with a pool table. I believe that it is called the gentleman's room, but I'm not sure. On most of his trips abroad and to Bermuda, he lugged that big heavy pool table with him. Compare that to what we can take with us now.

C0752-020~.jpg

I spent 11 days one Sept. touring your beautiful part of America, Newport & the Cape up the Maine Coast and back down through NH, Vermont, and Connecticut. I didn't stick around for winter or the Nor'easters however..

I've never been down your way--I don't fly. I have a first cousin, we are the same age and both only children, so we have always been close, who lives in Dallas. She has one daughter who lives in Austin and the other in Houston, so if I ever get down that way, I certainly could cover most of the state. My cousin's husband had something to do with Kerrville-- and a folk festival. I guess she got to know Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary fame pretty well. Have you heard of the festival?

Guest Anorak33

A lot of current English BP is not made with pigs blood but some other sort, is not the same flavor.

I prefer the sort with oatmeal in and heavily peppered rather than the sort with big lumps of fat.

is the sign of a misspent youth! - Mark Twain

In his house, way up stairs, there is a room with a pool table. I believe that it is called the gentleman's room, but I'm not sure. On most of his trips abroad and to Bermuda, he lugged that big heavy pool table with him. Compare that to what we can take with us now.

Garrison Keillor (Prairie Home Companion) tells a story that no one is now allowed to play on that table. He was doing a show there and played with the original equipment and broke the cue ball.

I've never been down your way--I don't fly. I have a first cousin, we are the same age and both only children, so we have always been close, who lives in Dallas. She has one daughter who lives in Austin and the other in Houston, so if I ever get down that way, I certainly could cover most of the state.

Probably not even half of it, but if you threw in San Antone you'd have seen large modern cities history and some pretty country. I'm in Galveston which is 800 miles from my sister in El Paso. There are miles and miles of Texas as the song goes and a lot of it is butt ugly. I've lived in 18 different Texas cities and towns and know the place about as well as a man can. But, if someone were to want to see the real West I'd advise them to start out in Vegas or Phoenix. Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado & Wyoming that's were you see fantastic scenery. Texas is pretty much a state of mind.

My cousin's husband had something to do with Kerrville-- and a folk festival. I guess she got to know Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary fame pretty well. Have you heard of the festival?

Of course I used to play the guitar and sing (State Law), folk & country for a hobby and have actually attended the Kerrville Folk Festival. A lot of great musicians have played there. It's a very pretty place in the Hill Country BTW.

A lot of old German & Czech farm communities are out there that make great sausage and souse (head cheese) speaking of food.

One or other of the three Jessops stores in York will have them. It costs £14.99. It's called "The Pod" and you can find more details about it here:

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s3100/1-132-166-340/Home/Accessories/Tripods-and--Supports/Table-Top-Tripods/Jessops/The-Pod-Camera-Support/details.aspx

J

I was going to ask about this too, but got interrupted by work! They have these at a photo superwarehouse here in NYC! Going to get one! Looks like just what I need! Thanks, J.

Black pudding is either made with fresh or nowadays dried pigs blood, mixed up as follows

• Black pudding - UK - pigs blood, pork fat and cereal (oatmeal and or barley)
  • Drisheen - Ireland - as above but with lamb's blood
  • Boudin noir - France - pigs blood, pork fat, breadcrumbs, brandy or calvados and cream
  • Morcilla - Spain - pigs blood, pork fat, paprika, cooked long grain rice, sherry and sometimes raisins
  • Blutwurst - Germany - pigs blood, diced bacon and lungs

It is put into a sausage skin, traditionally intestine nowadays artificial and then boiled until it is all thoroughly cooked. To serve it is normally sliced anf fried lightly until warm. It is marvellous and everyone should try it. It isn't greasy or fatty but rather dry and spicy. I should be a cookery writer:cool:

Black pudding is either made with fresh or nowadays dried pigs blood, mixed up as follows

• Black pudding - UK - pigs blood, pork fat and cereal (oatmeal and or barley)
  • Drisheen - Ireland - as above but with lamb's blood
  • Boudin noir - France - pigs blood, pork fat, breadcrumbs, brandy or calvados and cream
  • Morcilla - Spain - pigs blood, pork fat, paprika, cooked long grain rice, sherry and sometimes raisins
  • Blutwurst - Germany - pigs blood, diced bacon and lungs

It is put into a sausage skin, traditionally intestine nowadays artificial and then boiled until it is all thoroughly cooked. To serve it is normally sliced anf fried lightly until warm. It is marvellous and everyone should try it. It isn't greasy or fatty but rather dry and spicy. I should be a cookery writer:cool:

Which of all of the above do like the best or are they all alike? If it tastes anything like liver or giblets, I don't think I could eat it. I like most things, venison is one I don't like. Is it possible to explain what ti tastes like? Or is it in a category by itself. I mean I love beef blood from a rare roast beef or steak so is that what it is like?

I have had them all except the German and I like them all pretty equally. If I were to attempt to describe it I suppose it is a peppery dryish sausage. I don't think it tastes of liver. You should certainly try 1 piece of it. It is not to everyones taste but I am sure that they have not all tasted it. Not particularly good description but it is the best I can do without a plate of it in front of me.

Pardon me Jimmy but don't you live in York which is sort of Cheek to Jowl with Scotland?

Aye Gene,

And Baton Rouge is pretty darn close to Texas, but I'd take a tiny little bet that, if I were living there and claimed that it was in Texas, you'd be prepared to dispute that fact. :D :D

J

Here it is --middle of the night, and I can't sleep. Just like when I'm on a cruise. It is raining outside and extremely muggy-- just as muggy and warm as it was in Panama. It is really rather nasty. I don't really want to turn the AC on. I have no idea why I saying any of this, but to amuse myself. Good morning, is anyone out there?

Here it is --middle of the night, and I can't sleep. Just like when I'm on a cruise. It is raining outside and extremely muggy-- just as muggy and warm as it was in Panama... Good morning, is anyone out there?

I get nights like that too. Cold and wet here in York. Just off out to do the weekly shop. Catch you later.

J

Aye Gene,

And Baton Rouge is pretty darn close to Texas, but I'd take a tiny little bet that, if I were living there and claimed that it was in Texas, you'd be prepared to dispute that fact. :D :D J

Naw, Baton Rouge is a good 160 miles from Texas across the Atchafalaya swamp and we like to keep it that way. When Hurricane Katrina destroyed New Orleans a couple of years ago, a huge number moved to Houston and increased the crime rate by about 20% if that's possible. I've traveled extensively in Louisiana and love the people and the cuisine, fried Alligator comes to mind, tastes like fishy chicken, real white meat.

Blackened Snapper Ponchartrain with crawfish or oysters in a cream sauce would be something you would never forget.

Here it is --middle of the night, and I can't sleep. Just like when I'm on a cruise. It is raining outside and extremely muggy-- just as muggy and warm as it was in Panama. It is really rather nasty. I don't really want to turn the AC on. I have no idea why I saying any of this, but to amuse myself. Good morning, is anyone out there?

But of course Madam we are always out there.

I talked to a Panamanian recently who said that Panama was actually cooler then our area this time of year but more humid (if that's possible).

We'll find out in Dec. as we have a cruise into the canal.

An actual cool morning here in SE TX for a welcome change, I got out early for some gardening. We have a Saba Banana with a 37 inch trunk, so maybe cool is a relative term compared to York.

Archived