Surprising food

Summergee

But of course Madam we are always out there.

I talked to a Panamanian recently who said that Panama was actually cooler then our area this time of year but more humid (if that's possible).

We'll find out in Dec. as we have a cruise into the canal.

An actual cool morning here in SE TX for a welcome change, I got out early for some gardening. We have a Saba Banana with a 37 inch trunk, so maybe cool is a relative term compared to York.

What exactly is a Saba Banana???

The dew point is way up there--not sure what it is, for sure. You just can't breathe very well when you go outside.

My cousin is always cold when she comes to Connecticut. Her first husband, from New Hampshire, went to Texas for his PHd at the University of Texas. He lived in Austin for years, but never could get used to the slow pace. He was never comfortable having to first make small talk before purchasing something in a store, for instance. He's back in his comfort zone, again. New Englanders are not known for their friendliness. I guess, I am an exception!!:)

Naw, Baton Rouge is a good 160 miles from Texas across the Atchafalaya swamp

Which is almost precisely the distance from York to the Scottish border (152 miles). But I'll admit there's no swamp in between - unless you count Middlesbrough.

J

New Englanders are not known for their friendliness. I guess, I am an exception!!:)

Well, I would have to say, from my perspective, New Englanders just simply are not willing to make idle, superficial small talk with complete strangers just because we happen to end up in front of them at the checkout counter. We need to know someone better, who their parents are, what school(s) did they attend, what are their clubs, do they own green pants with little sailboats on them, that sort of thing.:D

Are you a New Englander, too? That's why we get along so well!

No, actually, I was born in New York and live there now. I did, however, spend many lovely holidays in New England, Casco Bay, Portland, Maine, in particular, growing up, and then did some schooling in the Comm. of MA, as well.

What exactly is a Saba Banana???

They are the giants of the banana world mine are in the 20 - 25 ft range.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/54047/

I have four other varieties however, as the Sabas have very small fruits that are used for Tostones.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=tostones&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

The dew point is way up there--not sure what it is, for sure. You just can't breathe very well when you go outside.

Welcome to Houston in the summer time; we have a summer climate about like Mumbai, although with a few less Hindus. It's called high humidity PM.

My cousin is always cold when she comes to Connecticut. Her first husband, from New Hampshire, went to Texas for his PHd at the University of Texas. He lived in Austin for years, but never could get used to the slow pace. He was never comfortable having to first make small talk before purchasing something in a store, for instance. He's back in his comfort zone, again. New Englanders are not known for their friendliness. I guess, I am an exception!!:)

I understand, you would find Texans to be extremely friendly outgoing people. I remember one Panhandle town that when we moved there women would stop my wife in a food store and ask if she was new in town and what her husband did!!

I've lived in Austin four times in my life, a beautiful if overly liberal city.

Which is almost precisely the distance from York to the Scottish border (152 miles). But I'll admit there's no swamp in between - unless you count Middlesbrough. J

The Atchafalaya is the largest swamp in the States Jimmy, you drive across it for miles on the way to Baton Rouge.

http://www.cclockwood.com/stockimages/atchafalaya.htm

I understand, you would find Texans to be extremely friendly outgoing people. I remember one Panhandle town that when we moved there women would stop my wife in a food store and ask if she was new in town and what her husband did!!

I've lived in Austin four times in my life, a beautiful if overly liberal city.

My cousin's ex husband worked for Eugene McCarthy as an undergrad in New Hampshire before going to Austin, so I guess the liberal atmosphere was a good fit for him.

Up 'ere in t'north we call that 'bloody nosyness'

Gari

Gari

There you are!!! I did it! I had a ball yeaterday. You better read post #16 and a few after that, under Midnight Buffet, to see if that is what you wanted. It was a little satire and some of the responses were hilarious. It is worth a look!

One year we drove from Baton Rouge to New Orleans after a dance competition.... Really is quite amazing.

Welcome Smooth, as you might notice, my passion for dancing is only exceeded by my passion for food and travel. I'm the cook of my family and love to sample the cuisines of the world.

Gari

Things got worse, in a town of 23,000 they would come by your home and invite you to their church, there were 13 Baptist churches in that town.

Being an urban person most of my life, (ignore your neighbor and he'll ignore you) it was a revelation. But, when you were accepted and became part of the political/decision making hierarchy of the community then you understood how it worked. I've never been a stranger in Texas!!

The Panhandle is the high plains of Texas, wheat and oil; 103 F in the summer and below zero F in the winter and the wind always blew. The great ranches of Texas are up there so beef and Barbecue are the foods of choice.

Welcome Smooth, as you might notice, my passion for dancing is only exceeded by my passion for food and travel. I'm the cook of my family and love to sample the cuisines of the world.

You'd need to build a bigger BBQ to grill this beauty Gene, even in Texas

file0114-4bsa6i8x5.jpeg

Up 'ere in t' north you are only allowed to nod to someone for the first 5 years, then you progress to mornin' or evenin' for the next 6 or 7. After about 15 you may be included in a short conversation about the weather.

A question such as 'What does your husband do?' would be greeted with astonishment.

" Dos tha nar wot yon lass 'as just asked may, an 'er in t' village nobbut 20 year"

That's the trouble with Americans - just too damn friendly.

Gari

Things got worse, in a town of 23,000 they would come by your home and invite you to their church, there were 13 Baptist churches in that town.

Being an urban person most of my life, (ignore your neighbor and he'll ignore you) it was a revelation. But, when you were accepted and became part of the political/decision making hierarchy of the community then you understood how it worked. I've never been a stranger in Texas!!

New England is different also. My father grew up in a small, New Hampshire town at the foot of the White Mountains. There, I don't care how long you lived there, you were not accepted unless there was a long line of ancestors proceeding you. There is one church, a Baptist, and that provides most of the social outlet for the citizens. My grandfather was the town barber, so my grandmother made sure she went to church every week so she could critique Grampa's haircuts--and most of the time they did not live up to her expectations. They had a once-a year minstrel show, complete with shoe polish painted faces, well into the seventies. Change takes forever, there. Maybe New England got its friendliness from its namesake.

By the way, Gene, is Ike heading your way? It looks rather menacing!

You'd need to build a bigger BBQ to grill this beauty Gene, even in Texas

file0114-4bsa6i8x5.jpeg

Up 'ere in t' north you are only allowed to nod to someone for the first 5 years, then you progress to mornin' or evenin' for the next 6 or 7. After about 15 you may be included in a short conversation about the weather.

A question such as 'What does your husband do?' would be greeted with astonishment.

" Dos tha nar wot yon lass 'as just asked may, an 'er in t' village nobbut 20 year"

That's the trouble with Americans - just too damn friendly.

Gari

Hell Gari, Bubba and Junior could have that sucker BBQed with Mesquite in an hour, less if I could turn it into Cevechi!! (love the dialect BTW)

Having moved about the Southwest my entire life, I've gotten to enjoy people and places as in my our current work, and until I retire in Galveston, a tropical island about three miles off shore of Texas.

They have a reputation for Born on the island, but I joined them in 82 and was a community leader for the next 10 years. Whatever, although somewhat reclusive in my private life, I'm someone you would like to cruise with.

And let's try that Black Pudding, bring it on, with a side of Haggis!!

Thank you so much PM, and now we've got some thing new to worry about with Ike!!

"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get."

Mark Twain

Take Care, Gene!

Thanks PM, it's supposed to hit about 100 miles South of us, Saturday morning, but Hurricanes lie a lot!!

Galveston has the dubious distinction of having the worst Natural Disaster in our history as 6 to 8 thousand lost their lives in the 1900 Storm. It was the largest city in Texas at that time with some 55,000 pop. living on an offshore barrier island with an average elevation of 5 ft..

The University will release us tomorrow afternoon to secure our property and either hunker down and ride it out, or if it's too close, run for our lives.

Speaking of surprise foods, after a storm with no electricity for some time you get to find out what's in the freezer that you need to cook before it goes bad.

Gene, if you are still around

STAY SAFE!

As the storm hooked North and is now coming right in to Galveston and our home in Bacliff, we packed up the wife, her daughter, the dog the cat and critical documents and fled a couple of hundred miles up country to Tyler in East Texas.

Fleeing this time only took 6 hours, which wasn't bad considering that it took 14 hours the last time.

So, we'll hunker down here at my son's home, and pick up our lives on the coast when this is over and the electricity comes back on.

With Liberal America being so politically correct these days, we are no longer called refugees, we are now Displaced Americans!!

As the storm hooked North and is now coming right in to Galveston and our home in Bacliff, we packed up the wife, her daughter, the dog the cat and critical documents and fled a couple of hundred miles up country to Tyler in East Texas.

Fleeing this time only took 6 hours, which wasn't bad considering that it took 14 hours the last time.

So, we'll hunker down here at my son's home, and pick up our lives on the coast when this is over and the electricity comes back on.

With Liberal America being so politically correct these days, we are no longer called refugees, we are now Displaced Americans!!

Gene,

I'm so glad to know that you and Susan are safe in Tyler. I hope you don't have any damage at your home. Do keep us posted on your situation and the reports you hear from Galveston.

I have a niece who lives in Houston. She is "hunkering down" as those in Houston were asked to do. I hope that is a good decision.

Just curious, how long does it normally take to drive to Tyler?

Beth

Gene,

I'm so glad to know that you and Susan are safe in Tyler. I hope you don't have any damage at your home. Do keep us posted on your situation and the reports you hear from Galveston.

I have a niece who lives in Houston. She is "hunkering down" as those in Houston were asked to do. I hope that is a good decision.

After the disaster that was the Rita evacuation three years ago where 2 to 3 million people tried to leave Houston and 23 people lost their lives on our highways, not from the storm,they've had to rethink their plans. We left early for Rita, but still were on the road for 14 hours and were lucky to find more gasoline in a small Texas town at 11 oclock at night. Some of our friends drove for 26 hours and some gave up and came back.

This time they are telling the majority of Houston to shelter in place, have storm supplies of food & drinking water with flashlights as the loss of electricity is almost a given. They are only subjecting those of us who live along the coast to manditory evacuation as they expect a 15 ft storm surge from this hurricane. Many areas are already flooding and the storm is still 130 miles out in the Gulf.

Just curious, how long does it normally take to drive to Tyler? Beth

Map Quest sez the normal drive time from Galveston to Tyler, 90 miles SE of Dallas, is 4hr & 36 minutes. These are not normal times.

But, just about every where you live there are weather events of one kind of another. We watched the flooding in England with sympathy, was it last summer?

Gene, it is good to know that this evacuation went smoother than the last one. It is just a bummer that you had to evacuate. We lived on the Florida Gulf Coast for a number of years and had our share of hurricanes. We did not live directly on the Gulf so never had too much damage at our home. We were fortunate.

I have a good friend who lives in one of the historic homes in Galveston. I fear she is going to have a lot of damage.

Hang in there!

Beth

Serious flooding last week as well, very wet summer here in UK.I'll be pleased to get back to Fl in 2 weeks.

We were 8 in below normal rainfall, that is no longer a problem.

Our area got a foot out of this with more heavy rains today.

We had 4 to 5 ft of storm surge in the yard during the storm, so these rains help reduce the salt.

My neighbor who stayed, is sending us pics of the destruction there I've lost a lot of garden and fence, but the home is intact.

Archived