Surprising food

Summergee

No. We will often have bacon and black pudding for dinner. We've just had black pudding and fried egg sandwiches for lunch - Jimmy from the Ainsty Farm Shop and some of the nicest black pudding I've tasted:)

How would you describe its taste--or is it indescribable?

No. We will often have bacon and black pudding for dinner. We've just had black pudding and fried egg sandwiches for lunch - Jimmy from the Ainsty Farm Shop and some of the nicest black pudding I've tasted:)

Also now used fairly frequently in up-market restaurants as part of a dish.

Mary

Also now used fairly frequently in up-market restaurants as part of a dish

Yes - it has got quite foodie recently. Haggis made a bit of a foray in that direction as well for a while (particularly as an amuse-bouche but I think it's dropped out of fashion again.

J

Yes - it has got quite foodie recently. Haggis made a bit of a foray in that direction as well for a while (particularly as an amuse-bouche but I think it's dropped out of fashion again.

J

In the good old days if you asked for an amuse-bouche in Princes Street you would have woken up with a crowd around you:D . Nowadays a Glasgow Kiss is regularly seen in that City of Culture between fellow thespians. Where is the world heading:rolleyes:

Well - you will keep running off to sea and losing the plot ;)

J

Quite right, J! But I need you all to get me through the next 12 days as I sit here doing nothing at work.

By the way, the St. Petersburg shots were stunning! Do you use an external flash unit indoors? Just took mine out of the box last night to hopefully figure out some basics for upcoming trip. I wonder if flash will be allowed in the Blue Mosque.

Michael

J

Okay, I believe I have read about this Scottish dish, and it sounded a bit rough--could you please, tell me again--it is something, I think, I put out of my mind, quite consciously.

Quite right, J! But I need you all to get me through the next 12 days as I sit here doing nothing at work.

By the way, the St. Petersburg shots were stunning! Do you use an external flash unit indoors? Just took mine out of the box last night to hopefully figure out some basics for upcoming trip. I wonder if flash will be allowed in the Blue Mosque.

Michael

There is no problem taking photos and the inside is well lit, if you are able to adjust your exposure time you should have no trouble. Flash is frowned upon but what is the worst that can happen if you are caught....:eek: :eek: :eek:

J

Speaking of Scotland and fine dining, have you ever been to 2 Quail in Dornoch, Summer Isles in Achiltibuie and Three Chimneys on the Isle of Skye? Tantalizing article recently in the Times travel section:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/travel/27scotland.html?pagewanted=1

Michael

There is no problem taking photos and the inside is well lit, if you are able to adjust your exposure time you should have no trouble. Flash is frowned upon but what is the worst that can happen if you are caught....:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thank you. I just got a new camera (and know really only how to point and shoot). I'll have to read up further in the manual. I assume you mean lengthen the exposure time to allow a bit more light in? (See, I really am a novice!)

One of these mosques (or maybe more) is the one were we have to take our shoes off??

Michael

Speaking of Scotland and fine dining, have you ever been to 2 Quail in Dornoch, Summer Isles in Achiltibuie and Three Chimneys on the Isle of Skye? Tantalizing article recently in the Times travel section:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/travel/27scotland.html?pagewanted=1

Michael

The beginning of that sounded like you were about to break into a rendition of Twelve Days of Christmas. Yes, my mind is going isn't it?????

Oh, long as we are talking about music, do you happen to play the piano, or are you good friends with someone who does??:)

Thank you. I just got a new camera (and know really only how to point and shoot). I'll have to read up further in the manual. I assume you mean lengthen the exposure time to allow a bit more light in? (See, I really am a novice!). One of these mosques (or maybe more) is the one were we have to take our shoes off??

Michael,

nearly all the St P interiors were taken without flash. As CapnP says, the interiors are generally very well lit and you can usually screw the ISO setting up to at least 400 before noise becomes too much of a problem. I've also got a little bean bag sort of thingy that screws into the tripod bush on the camera which means that you can support the camera on all kinds of things while you take the shot.

Can't speak for the Blue Mosque but, in the Hermitage at least, flash was very strictly banned. The ladies guarding the various rooms were all examples of that finest flowering of soviet womanhood that we rarely see in the West these days. That is to say, they bore very little resemblance to Anna Kornukova or Maria Sharapova. They looked as though they would be more than capable of tearing the built in flash out of the camera and sticking it someplace where it would it could flash for all eternity but never be seen.

J

Why would anyone frown upon the Saviour of the Universe????

The beginning of that sounded like you were about to break into a rendition of Twelve Days of Christmas. Yes, my mind is going isn't it?????

Brilliant - we should get HS to write the words to that version.

HS - a challenge!

J

PS - Michael, I'd guess I left Scotland long before any of those establishments were though of. I left Scotland for Germany in November 1974 and wandered round the world after that without ever really going back (apart from the odd holiday when my parents were still alive)

Brilliant - we should get HS to write the words to that version.

HS - a challenge!

J

PS - Michael, I'd guess I left Scotland long before any of those establishments were though of. I left Scotland for Germany in November 1974 and wandered round the world after that without ever really going back (apart from the odd holiday when my parents were still alive)

Yeah, I'm an orphan, too.

Archived