Surprising food

Summergee

From the presentation on the plate and lack of tablecloth on the table I hope this was the buffet?

It was in the King's Court. Sorry about the presentation! I had been in the gym for the hour before this and felt I should treat myself.

Paul

I do not want to be nationalistic about this but you need to try Irish black pudding.

A wonderful and totally different product in taste and texture whilst still looking much the same externally to the uninitiated.

I fear I might choose to remain uninitiated when it comes to Black Pudding. I did see it made on one of the travel shows recently I think in the Cotswolds? We also tend to avoid strong tasting fish, cold pickled herring on a Norwegian buffet has absolutly no appeal. I fear that our American cusine has become over processesd and unexciting in many ways. I usually take a jar of salsa along on a cruise just to liven up the eggs.

Someone mentioned tripe; a breakfast delicacy in Mexico and the American SW is a hearty tripe stew with hominy and peppers that is called Menudo. This is usually served with fresh onion and oregano and is a known cure for the Crudos (hangover).

I fear I might choose to remain uninitiated when it comes to Black Pudding. I did see it made on one of the travel shows recently I think in the Cotswolds? We also tend to avoid strong tasting fish, cold pickled herring on a Norwegian buffet has absolutly no appeal. I fear that our American cusine has become over processesd and unexciting in many ways. I usually take a jar of salsa along on a cruise just to liven up the eggs.

Someone mentioned tripe; a breakfast delicacy in Mexico and the American SW is a hearty tripe stew with hominy and peppers that is called Menudo. This is usually served with fresh onion and oregano and is a known cure for the Crudos (hangover).

everytime i read that mark twain quote i have tears in my eyes!! the world is such a small place today, the thought of not experiencing as much of it as possible in such a little time as we are given completley flips me out!!!!! i would like this quote on my grave stone

Fizzy, I think we all have those kind of memories to regret, plus some of the WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!!

That is the great thing about cruising, getting to see as much of the world as we possible can in our life time. Who knows, I might even try Black Pudding.

Good morning J,:)

My daughter in law from Newfoundland went to England--some place near East London, I believe--to complete her student teacher training. Now she tells me that the chocolate is absolutely wonderful in your country--because it is laced with, of all things, pig's blood? Is there any truth to that?

You won't regret it Gene. It's a lot better than it sounds from the list of ingredients. :) J

I might give it a go Jimmy, but that sorta goes along with organ meats over here in lack of popularity.

I enjoy Mexican Barbacoa, head meat off a cow, usually cheek meat and very tender usually with cilantro & onions. MSGCurry won't touch the stuff, and I hate the way she rolls her eyes when I order Cabrito, Barbecued kid goat. I mention smoking a beef tongue and watch her shutter as if I've fricasseed the cat!! Of course she's from Tennessee, so perhaps the nuances of Southwestern cooking have escaped her?

I must agree that certain Irish black pudding is right up there, but I have had some stunning Pudding suppers in Scotland black, white and red. I went to Les Halles restaurant in NYC and had Boudin Noir which is French black pudding and that is excellent. I can do this comfortably with Cholesterol at 3.65:D :D and regularly checked. So maybe the answer is that the best pudding is the one that you are eating at the time. Let us hope we don't end up with Europud. The QM2 is good because they fry it crispy on the outside. Of the pudding not the ship:)

Sounds like a plan to me!

Gari

Hey Grizzly,

Seeing you're from Yorkshire, home of the famous yorkshire pudding, would you happen to know if your chocolate, meaning the stuff made over there--the very delicious, very dark version--does that contain pig's blood?

Awaiting a reply,

PM

Hey Grizzly,

Seeing you're from Yorkshire, home of the famous yorkshire pudding, would you happen to know if your chocolate, meaning the stuff made over there--the very delicious, very dark version--does that contain pig's blood?

Awaiting a reply,

PM

No, really, someone has been teasing her!

We certainly don't have pig's blood in our chocolate.

I love black pudding, but blood in chocolate? Come on!:eek:

Yorkshire pudding doesn't have blood it it either, it's a batter.

Sharon:)

because it is laced with, of all things, pig's blood? Is there any truth to that?

Sorry PM, I owed you an answer on that one - very rude of me, but I spent too long looking on the internet to see if there were any truth in the story. As far as I can tell it's just another urban food myth (like the long list of yucky ingredients that MacDonalds are rumoured to put in their hamburgers and shakes).

There is, however, a very great difference in flavour and texture between the typical UK chocolate and the chocolate that is produced in Continental Europe and North America, and it is possibly this difference that has led to the myth.

J

No, really, someone has been teasing her!

We certainly don't have pig's blood in our chocolate.

I love black pudding, but blood in chocolate? Come on!:eek:

Yorkshire pudding doesn't have blood it it either, it's a batter.

Sharon:)

Hi Sharon,

long time no hear. How are things in the bustling metropolis of Thornbury?

Jimmy

Hey Grizzly,

Awaiting a reply,

PM

#

Someones been having you on PM. We do NOT use pig's blood in our chocolate. It's Cat's blood.

I don't suppose you have those lovely chocs over there called Catbury's Milk Tray.

Gari

Someones been having you on PM. We do NOT use pig's blood in our chocolate. It's Cat's blood.

Yes indeedee - and it's also rumoured to contain, inter alia: eye of newt, toe of frog, wool of bat, tongue of dog, adder's fork, blind-worm's sting, lizard's leg, and howlet's wing.

J

:) Good Morning,

All is well in the great states of America--we have three hurricanes headed our way, we have our two wonderful nominees for the position of the highest office in the land all ready to launch their nasty attacks at one another, and should either of them not make it, their two wonderful, competent replacements are ready and willing to go! How could it get any better!!!!! Ain't life grand!

As far as the chocolate, I was just about to say, I was relieved that it wasn't dog, but either my computer is getting very slow or this board is, and then J. comes on and says it has dog's tongue in it. And I have another wonderful story to tell about that too--some day.

Okay, finally, I found kind of an answer, of sorts--only one trouble, I don't know what language the name of the recipe is--maybe someone knows? J, you're good at jibberish? This spelling is wrong, isn't it?

I'm not sure if this ends up to be something chocolate, but at least it seems to be something sweet. Isn't that a lot of blood? I'm not too good at liters. It sounds good, anyway.

Sangieri di San Fili:

From San Fili, Prov Cosenza.

(Pork) Blood Pudding (Sanguinaccio)

1 1/2 liters pig blood

1 liter thick fig honey (miele di fichi)

1 glass honey

1 Kg. sugar

250 grams cocoa powder

1 lump of butter the size of a walnut

1 plateful chopped walnuts

500 grams raisins

grated rind from 2 oranges

1 long stick cinnamon

5 cloves

1 glass lemon liquour

1 glass brandy

1 strip lemon peel, thinly sliced

Yes indeedee - and it's also rumoured to contain, inter alia: eye of newt, toe of frog, wool of bat, tongue of dog, adder's fork, blind-worm's sting, lizard's leg, and howlet's wing.

J

Oh God he's found his Penguin abridged Shakespeare. Now we're in trouble.

Did they have black pudding on the Queen Victoria when you went? No-- next cruise I definitely will sample it. Is it primarily a breakfast food?

Yes, they did have it on QV but you had to ask for it specifically - it wasn't on the menu. In UK it is principally eaten at breakfast but there's no reason not to eat it at a main meal. It's also a commonly available option in fish and chip shops.

J

Yes, they did have it on QV but you had to ask for it specifically - it wasn't on the menu. In UK it is principally eaten at breakfast but there's no reason not to eat it at a main meal. It's also a commonly available option in fish and chip shops.

J

What is the quality like in the fish and chip places? I need to get my broom ready.

Is it primarily a breakfast food?

No. We will often have bacon and black pudding for dinner. We've just had black pudding and fried egg sandwiches for lunch - Jimmy from the Ainsty Farm Shop and some of the nicest black pudding I've tasted:)

Archived