Sometimes the idiot is the guy sitting in the cockpit

Cruisin' Ron VA

Maybe his supervisor will tell him that no discipline will be issued, and then he gets a letter advising of his termination. "Got ya, fished in, man I kill me. Bye now" I wonder how many people on the plane looked out the window and wondered why Toledo looked so much like Cleveland? LOL

Passengers sometimes make "jokes" too. They get thrown off of the plane and into hand cuffs.

I think we should hold the crew to the same standards. :)

True. But I have yet to hear of any U.S. pilot who purposely crashed a plane into a skyscrapper. Besides' date=' it wasn't a joke about crashing, hijacking or terrorism. People get arrested for 'those' kinds of jokes.

Maybe this is the WORLD FAMOUS "Scooter" (at least in AA circles). AA Eagle pilot who is absolutely hilarious.

I am not much on funny, singing/dancing FA (SW effect, as Globaliser posted). But a flight on the "Scooter" is a welcome break from routine, monotonous air travel once in a while.

I avidly look forward to my next "Scooter" flight. I agree-the whole thing is a non story on a boring news day. If we can't have a laugh at our expense once in a while, we are becoming a very BORING country.

Many years ago I was flying ATL – CLT, yes a short flight, but it was a connection. About 35 minutes into the flight the pilot makes his first and ‘last’ announcement. It went along the lines of “I want to thank you for flying xxxx Airlines. I hope you have had an enjoyable short flight. We will be landing in Birmingham in about 15 minutes. Will flight attendants please prepare cabin for landing.” Heads flew up all over the place. There was a ring of plane intercom-phone. Then the engines increased power and plane banked right. The pilot came back on the PA and said “Well, I’ve heard you all took a vote and decided you would rather go to Charlotte instead of Birmingham. We will be there in about 45 minutes.” Did not hear from pilot the rest of the flight.

Many years ago I was flying ATL – CLT, yes a short flight, but it was a connection. About 35 minutes into the flight the pilot makes his first and ‘last’ announcement. It went along the lines of “I want to thank you for flying xxxx Airlines. I hope you have had an enjoyable short flight. We will be landing in Birmingham in about 15 minutes. Will flight attendants please prepare cabin for landing.” Heads flew up all over the place. There was a ring of plane intercom-phone. Then the engines increased power and plane banked right. The pilot came back on the PA and said “Well, I’ve heard you all took a vote and decided you would rather go to Charlotte instead of Birmingham. We will be there in about 45 minutes.” Did not hear from pilot the rest of the flight.

Haha!

Reminds me of a time when Delta pilots were having a stroke of bad luck.

They were dumping oil over PR. Shutting off the engines in mid flight. And drum roll pleaaaaaaaaase..........landing at the wrong airport.

What if some of the passengers had not been to Toledo or Cleveland before?

Good point.

Then, how about this.

If you know you have boarded at the right gate, if you know your ticket has the correct city and you know you wanted to arrive at the right airport, then, lighten up and go along with the joke.......

Assuming the passengers were adults who all read and speak English fluently, the panic that seemed to ensue was unnecessary.

I've been "welcomed" to Medford when I was flying to Portland; welcomed to La Guardia when I was flying to JFK and welcomed to Paris when I was flying to Rome.

It's called humor.

Assuming the passengers were adults who all read and speak English fluently' date=' the panic that seemed to ensue was unnecessary.[/quote']Panic was definitely unnecessary. But aggravation and irritation was understandable. And (IMHO) it actually just wasn't funny at all.

I have heard some very funny pilots over the years, but usually when they've been saying things that actually were funny, and also appropriate for a PA from the flight deck.

Good point.

Then' date=' how about this.

If you know you have boarded at the right gate, if you know your ticket has the correct city and you know you wanted to arrive at the right airport, then, lighten up and go along with the joke.......

Assuming the passengers were adults who all read and speak English fluently, the panic that seemed to ensue was unnecessary.

I've been "welcomed" to Medford when I was flying to Portland; welcomed to La Guardia when I was flying to JFK and welcomed to Paris when I was flying to Rome.

It's called humor.[/quote']

Please keep in mind that these people were already 2 hours behind schedule and some may have been upset.

I know when I have been on late flights it is a scramble to make alternate plans for arrival. Intentionally adding fuel to the fire is NOT funny.

I have been on planes where the FA accidently said welcome to "A" when we had just landed in "B". It happens. These crews fly to different cities and sometimes they get mixed up. The pilot did it on purpose.

As I pointed out in a previous post sometimes pilots actually land at the wrong airport.

When people are already on edge and having to rearrange their schedules, the best thing to do is to apologize and wish them a nice day. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived