Caribbean, East-West-North-South?? OH MY

mscasey95

I would like to plan a cruise to the Caribbean for next year, but I am so confused.

We have never been and I would like the "cruise critics" expertise to help me chose which Islands in the Caribbean are the nicest to travel to by cruise ship. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Which Islands have ships docked in poor areas (not interested in those).

I would rather have nice ports of call where I would feel safe getting on and off the ship at any time.

My Mom, DD & I took a short 3 day cruise to Nassau from Florida, that was a nice dock, went over to Paradise Island for a day and Cable Beach Resort!

I would like to plan a cruise to the Caribbean for next year, but I am so confused.

We have never been and I would like the "cruise critics" expertise to help me chose which Islands in the Caribbean are the nicest to travel to by cruise ship. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Which Islands have ships docked in poor areas (not interested in those).

I would rather have nice ports of call where I would feel safe getting on and off the ship at any time.

My Mom, DD & I took a short 3 day cruise to Nassau from Florida, that was a nice dock, went over to Paradise Island for a day and Cable Beach Resort!

Most of my cruise experiences have taken place in the Caribbean. I would suggest to pick an itinerary that will take you to the Eastern part of the Caribbean. The Western Caribbean, even though I find it fun, is not the "nicest" part of the Caribbean. The Eastern Islands are my personal favorite, because in St. Thomas there is amazing shopping. But that is just my suggestion. As for naming the ports of call within the Eastern Caribbean, I have no idea. Itineraries are different, depending on the cruise line. But at least I gave you a region to start investigating, instead having the whole Caribbean to worry about :)

I don't think that through this board we can tell you all of the places to see. You will find good areas along with poor areas in most caribbean ports.

I suggest that you find a TA and then sit with them to narrow down your choices based on cruise line and itinerary.

Keith

Most of the Caribbean stops are more than safe. Just like at home, you need to keep your wits about you--don't show off your wads of cash and fancy cameras....common sense stuff.

All of the islands are relatively "poor" (compared to home!) and unless you are in a downtown area or resort, you're gonna see alot of "underprivleged" folk--again, compared to us!

For the most part, begging is easily stopped by a firm "no" and in most cases, you won't be bothered at all. You don't want to see the same things you can at home, anyway--what would be the point of going??? If you want a "resort" feel to your trip, just fly to a resort! Otherwise, just go and enjoy--and use your common sense!

We have been Western and Eastern with Southern coming up. We preferred the Eastern Caribbean, St Thomas and St Martin, as it seemed less pushy. The Western, everyone was all over us as soon as we stepped off the ship. I don't like being chased after, offer your service but leave me alone to decide.

On the other hand DD would like the Western better than Eastern as she is younger and there are more active things to do. It all has it's good points.

We prefer Southern and Eastern. Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, and Barbados are some of the good Southern ports. As has been said, St. Thomas and St. Maarten are good Eastern ports. We usually read one of the travel guides to ports before selecting a cruise.

Archived