Booking through the cruise line vs a travel agent

dkk974

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but the search tool isn't working and I've looked through about 15 pages without finding the topic. I spend most of my time on another cruise line board and am new to this one. I'm not sure whether what works with that cruise line is true of RCCI. I know there are a lot of opinions on this. If the price is the same through the cruise line vs. the TA now but the price goes down later with a travel agency, would the cruise line honor it? can you move the reservation or is that a no-no with RCCI?

If the price is the same through the cruise line vs. the TA now but the price goes down later with a travel agency, would the cruise line honor it? can you move the reservation or is that a no-no with RCCI?

I always book through my trusted TA (for 18 yrs). Others have different opinions and that's OK. Once booked, if the price goes down, my TA guarantees us the lower price. No problem with the cruise line. On moving a reservation, I have only moved to a different date on the same ship with no problem at all. In my case there was no price differential but you may run into that if the new date is in a different season (up or down).

Some one else can personally address moving to another ship but I have seen many do so without issues. Just have not done it myself.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but the search tool isn't working and I've looked through about 15 pages without finding the topic. I spend most of my time on another cruise line board and am new to this one. I'm not sure whether what works with that cruise line is true of RCCI. I know there are a lot of opinions on this. If the price is the same through the cruise line vs. the TA now but the price goes down later with a travel agency, would the cruise line honor it? can you move the reservation or is that a no-no with RCCI?

:confused: The history has been that if RCCL lowers the price... the consumer can get the lower price.... just have your TA handle the transaction.... don't know what you mean by the TA lowering the price....

The TA cannot lower the price of the cruise. The question to ask is, if Royal Caribbean lowers the price, will the TA honor it? If not, run like Forrest Gump away from that agency.

As for transferring your booking, if you mean to another ship or sailing, that's also easy to do from RCI's perspective. Make sure that your TA does not charge a fee for doing so.

Many TAs now charge a cancellation fee of $50 or more. In the cases I've dealt with, that fee is waived if you rebook within a certain period of time. Simply changing from one ship to another should not trigger a fee.

I've used a TA most of the time. The one I use now gave me a good OBC, and we'll probably have some welcome aboard gifts when we arrive on the ship, They've always done a good job for me, linking reservations for table seating, checking on price drops, handling coupons, etc. The trick is to find a good one with a good reputation and references.

Aubie

Personally for me I'm kind of a control freak, plus I do enjoy and get sucked in to the details. So, I like booking my own checking up on prices, changing cabins on the ship, booking my own excursions, etc. That said, of the 3 cruises below 2 are done with a TA. I tried an online company for the Oasis and so far it worked out. Our anniversary cruise is being done with a TA I meant during my Disney cruise. I am hoping to create a group of folks to go, so felt a TA would be better suited in helping with all of the logistics of each of the travelers, plus create a common source for the trip.

So, for me it's about the details, if you enjoy dealing with them, then book your own, if not, then I'd say let a good TA do it for you.

Personally for me I'm kind of a control freak, plus I do enjoy and get sucked in to the details. So, I like booking my own checking up on prices, changing cabins on the ship, booking my own excursions, etc. That said, of the 3 cruises below 2 are done with a TA. I tried an online company for the Oasis and so far it worked out. Our anniversary cruise is being done with a TA I meant during my Disney cruise. I am hoping to create a group of folks to go, so felt a TA would be better suited in helping with all of the logistics of each of the travelers, plus create a common source for the trip.

So, for me it's about the details, if you enjoy dealing with them, then book your own, if not, then I'd say let a good TA do it for you.

I'm the original control freak. I do my own research, find the cruise I want and the cabin I want. Basically, I give the commission to the TA and usually get something back. I book my own flights, own hotel rooms, figure out my own land transportation, book my own insurance, the works. The only thing I use the TA for is for the cruise. Why not pay the same price as booking direct and get all the discounts available and then still get an OBC for free??

Aubie

I'm the original control freak. I do my own research, find the cruise I want and the cabin I want. Basically, I give the commission to the TA and usually get something back. I book my own flights, own hotel rooms, figure out my own land transportation, book my own insurance, the works. The only thing I use the TA for is for the cruise. Why not pay the same price as booking direct and get all the discounts available and then still get an OBC for free??

Aubie

I am new to cruising. I have been on two and have a third scheduled for April. How does OBC work? How will a TA be able to get this for you? I am assuming OBC is on board credit. How can TA get you perks? How do I find reliable agents? What should I look for?

Sorry for so many questions!

Rita

i've heard of many people who like to control their own bookings but then the last few weeks when all changes possible are probably done, switch it over to a TA to get whatever perks they offer such as onboard credit. I haven't done this myself because I too like to look at the booking often to make sure all is right. But it does sound like a good idea.

I am new to cruising. I have been on two and have a third scheduled for April. How does OBC work? How will a TA be able to get this for you? I am assuming OBC is on board credit. How can TA get you perks? How do I find reliable agents? What should I look for?

Sorry for so many questions!

Rita

The TA's I've used in the past I found mostly by word of mouth. Talking with other cruisers on the while on the ship. In the past, when many TA's would discount you part of their commission so you paid less than booking through the cruise line. Of course, this can no longer be done but they can gift you in the way of an onboard credit, or items like beach towels, tote bags, bottles of wine or snack trays delivered to your cabin as well as prepaying your gratuaties. I don't book through a big online agency but through an independent that is representing a large travel firm. If you're going to pay the same price as everyone else, why not get a few perks?? The one thing I really like about going through a small agency is you talk or correspond with the same person every time, not just a random customer service agent that only recognizes you as booking number.

Aubie

I just booked the Oasis with my travel agent of 2 years. The price is the same as RCCL ( I checked) and the agency is paying our fuel charges and gratuities. About a 360.00 value. The last 2 cruises he booked for us we got great OBC and paid the same price the cruiseline was charging. I do it with the agency to get the extra.

Tina

We've booked through an online consolidator and that worked out fine. We've booked with a local TA, got no treats, and had a problem while on the cruise that our TA didn't handle so that one we'll not use again.

We have a new TA that gave some treats, we'll see how any problems are handled with this one.

I look online at the consolidators, see the price. Check the cruiseline, see the price. Go to the TA and say match the lowest price, and so far that has worked out great. I watch for price drops, so far this new TA has kept up on that as well.

I book our own airfare, pre-cruise hotels, etc.

Sonja

I just booked the Oasis with my travel agent of 2 years. The price is the same as RCCL ( I checked) and the agency is paying our fuel charges and gratuities. About a 360.00 value. The last 2 cruises he booked for us we got great OBC and paid the same price the cruiseline was charging. I do it with the agency to get the extra.

Tina

Of course the price was the same. RCI's policy is that ALL TA's have to have the same price as RCI's website. The difference is that some TA's do offer booking incentives which can include OBC, prepaid gratuities, prepaid fuel surcharges, gifts while on the cruise, etc.

Other cruise lines allow TA's the choice offer discounts on the cruise fares, but not RCI.

Of course the price was the same. RCI's policy is that ALL TA's have to have the same price as RCI's website. The difference is that some TA's do offer booking incentives which can include OBC, prepaid gratuities, prepaid fuel surcharges, gifts while on the cruise, etc.

Other cruise lines allow TA's the choice offer discounts on the cruise fares, but not RCI.

Actually, most of the Luxury cruise lines also do not allow discounting. Most cruise lines also do not allow anyone to advertise lower prices. It appears that most cruise lines are moving away from discounting. I think part of the reason is that many people who know nothing about cruising book over the internet. Unfortunately, they book the wrong ship, wrong itineray, wrong cabin, etc. They have a lousy time and many never return to cruising. In general, cruise lines would much prefer people to book thru TAs so that they get the cruise and cabin which is right for them and turn into a frequent cruiser.

Tina

I'm also booked on Oasis - it's a 7 Day Cruise

Fuel = $70pp

Tips = $70pp (approx)

Added up that's $140 pp X2 + $280 savings

Tina -

You stated "Value $360" :confused: (or do you have (3) in your cabin???)

Please post w/all information --it's very confusing otherwise!!

After a search..........I could only find a savings of $280 (for (2) in a cabin)

Did I miss something??? Hope not - or I'll just have to go back and search around MORE...........

3 in a cabin

3x70 = 210 for gratuities

fuel surcharge is 70 + 70 + 35 =175

So actually my TA is giving us 385 for tips and fuel

Tina

OK - 3 in a cabin - Now that makes sense...........Seems like that is the 'norm' for a good TA - will disc. Tips and Fuel ......

Sounds like a good plan! :D I'm happy with that for RCCL

Of course, when I cruise Princess - I do much better!!! ;)

So, I'm curious. Those TA's that are providing the incentives, are they booking mostly RCCL cruises or do they just focus on cruises in general?

I seems like there are three category's.

1. Pay RCCL price and get no benefits. Offered by RCCL and most TA's.

2. Get a OBC, which is subjective and something that you don't learn until you get on the cruise.

3. Get the credit up front as a reduction in the price you pay. For me, I'd prefer the latter.

I am working with 2 different TA's right now and I don't see any of them providing any perks, so they are either 1 or 2 from my above list. Anyone want to PM me their TA that provides the 3rd option?

Actually, most of the Luxury cruise lines also do not allow discounting. Most cruise lines also do not allow anyone to advertise lower prices. It appears that most cruise lines are moving away from discounting. I think part of the reason is that many people who know nothing about cruising book over the internet. Unfortunately, they book the wrong ship, wrong itineray, wrong cabin, etc. They have a lousy time and many never return to cruising. In general, cruise lines would much prefer people to book thru TAs so that they get the cruise and cabin which is right for them and turn into a frequent cruiser.

I doubt that this happens even "rarely". In todays internet world where people do their banking, shopping and communicating there are very, very few that would jump online and book the wrong ship. Come on Giorgi!!!

The smart money is that TA's as we know them today will cease to exist in a generation or two. Many will disagree, but I say the direct sales approach that eliminates those that bring nothing to the transaction will prevail and most selling will be executed via the internet.

Peter

Please post names & phone numbers. We booked with a TA my parents have used several times and received the same pricing advertised on line by RCI + a cheap bottle of wine. The next time, I actually put a good on line deal on hold and, after checking, the TA said she couldn't even get us that good of a price.

Can't do that. It is against cruise critic rules.

Archived