CCL cruiser deciding between Celebrity & Princess

Loving My Life

**I posted this on the Celebrity board too**

My dh and I have done 1 Carnival cruise, on the Legend to the W. Caribbean, and have 2 more booked in the next 8 months (Liberty to E. Caribbean and Miracle to the Bahamas--this one is for the kids). I am looking to do the S. Caribbean in Nov/Dec 2009 and like the itineraries of Celebrity and Princess. These are the 2 options:

#1: Caribbean Princess, 7 days--San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, Sea Day, San Juan

OR

#2: Celebrity Mercury, 10 days--San Juan, Tortola, St. Martin, St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Sea Day, Curacao, Aruba, Sea Day, San Juan

I'm not sure if my mom will agree to taking my 3 toddler boys for 11-12 days for the Celebrity but if that's the one I end up wanting to do, I'll beg.

We took our first cruise in June on Carnival and LOVED the Legend and Carnival and have 2 more upcoming cruises with them. For anyone who has sailed both Celebrity and Princess, can you compare the 2 ships and the itineraries and tell me which you would do and why?

Our background: We are in our 30's and have 3 little boys who will not be coming with us. I am a nurse, but I now stay at home with our boys and dh is an information architect in Boston (somewhat of a high stress job). We want to relax, have amazing shore excursions--we prefer active ones, not lying on the beach, enjoy food and wine, and each other.

Please don't bash Carnival. We completely enjoyed our cruise with them (also without the kids). We chose what we wanted to take part in and what we didn't. We had a balcony and spent a lot of time out there. We definitely will continue to sail with them but we want to try all the cruise lines to see what they have to offer.

Thanks!!

We've cruised on both Caribbean Princess & Mercury. Caribbean Princess is much bigger and newer than Mercury, although it's incredibly crowded. At 113000 tons, it carries 3100 passengers. Mercury is 77000 tons and carries 1800 passengers. Do the math; Mercury is much more spacious.

If you're more into anytime dining, you might lean toward Caribbean Princess, since Mercury still has set dinner seating, unless you go to the casual dining area for dinner. Also, CB has the movies under the stars thing, which is pretty neat; Mercury doesn't have that.

I'd rate the food on Mercury to be generally a bit better than on Caribbean Princess. As far as service, I don't think there's even a comparison; Celebrity's service is so much better than Princess', IMO.

The 7 days or 10 days question would put Mercury way out ahead, and the fact that Mercury is going to Aruba & Curacao would cinch the deal for me!:D

Celebrity describes itself rightly as an upscale cruising experience. Princess describes itself as a mass market line in its own literature. We have sailed both lines and Id agree with that. That doesnt mean that the experience on Princess is any way bad, its just that Celebrity, in most areas does a better job. Aruba, is one of my favorite ports. So, given all that info, if the prices were very simliar on a per day basis. Id do Celebrity.

I've sailed Carnival, Princess and Celebrity. Although I prefer the more relaxed (less stuffy) atmosphere and personal choice dining on Princess, Celebrity's longer cruise, itinerary and smoke-free staterooms / balconies would give it the edge for me. I also have no use at all for the tiered balconies on the Caribbean Princess and would never book one again.

I'm in my 40's and have sailed RCCL, Princess and Celebrity. Celebrity was when I was in my 30's. I don't think you can go wrong with either line. Celebrity is more upscale nut not a very active nightlife. If you are going when school is in session I don't know how many younger couples will be on Celebrity especially if it is longer than 7 days. Princess will have more of a wide range of ages and perhaps a little more activity. Keep in mind both are great!!

We are Celebrity fans, but have done one Princess (Crown, sister to CP). We enjoy both lines. although we usually prefer a smaller ship, I like the Crown a little more than Mercury, on which we have sailed twice.

Both itinereries are nice.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but for me, I'll take 10 days over 7 days every time, so Mercury would be my choice.

Archived