Dolphin Swim in Jamaica or Cozumel

We are set to sail on our honeymoon cruise on September 28th on Freedom. We can't decide if it would be better to do the dolphin swim in Jamaica or Cozumel.

I've read reviews that the water is not as clear in Jamaica. We definitely want to do the Dunns River Falls in Jamaica and we could save a little money by doing the falls and Dolphin Swim Excursion togehter in Jamaica and skipping the dolphin swim in Cozumel. However, if it is a better experience to swim with the dolphins in Cozumel we would rather do it there!

Has anyone had any experience with one or both and which was your favorite? Would it be worth the extra money to do the swim in Cozumel over Jamaica? Thank you for your help!

I've heard good things about Chankanaab Park in Cozumel and will be trying that out shortly. I'm booking directly through them and it seems reasonably priced and apparently a whole day can be spent in the park. Looks beautiful!

I haven't been to either yet so maybe someone with more experience can verify. Have fun and congratulations!! :D

We did the dolphin swim in Cozumel and my 20 year old son still talks about how awesome that was! We also snorkeled at the park while waiting on our appointed time with the dolphins. If you do this, book on line and you will save $$. I believe we took the late time and the ships had everyone at the early morning sessions so there were only the 3 of us and one other couple in our group. Have only been to Jamaica once and did not enjoy the stop in Montego Bay.

I can't speak for Jamaica...but I have done the swim TWICE in Cozumel. Once as a single mom with my two boys years ago. The second was on my honeymoon with my fabulous husband 4 years ago. He stated it was one of the highlights of our cruises!

It was probably one of the best things I've ever done off of a cruise ship. We booked online, not thru the ship (shoretrips.com). It was a great experience booking off the ship. I have only booked one excursion ever thru a cruise ship and it turned out very bad. From that point on...I've always booked myself :)

have a super time whereever you swim w/the dolphins..! They are wonderful beings :)

• 1 month later...

We think you made a great choice. We did the Dolphin Swim and Ride at Dolphinaris from the same cruise (Freedom , 9/28) and loved it.

What Dunns River Falls excursion did you end up doing? We did the Sonora Trimaran, Snorkle and Dunns River. The falls were pretty impressive. At the end we chose not to get the video and now wish we would have. Any chance you guys were on that one and opted for the video?

Hope you had a blast and congrats on your marriage!

My DH and I did the dolphin swim in Ocho Rios last January. It was enjoyable, and we did learn a lot, (did you know that a dolphin, by using it's sonar, can tell that a woman in the water with them is pregnant?!?)

However, be aware that there is no holding on to dolphin's dorsal fin ride, or being pushed by dolphin's nose. Hope you know what I'm talking about. :) It was still an awesome feeling to be that close to an amazing creature. Have fun!

My DH and I did the dolphin swim in Ocho Rios last January. It was enjoyable, and we did learn a lot, (did you know that a dolphin, by using it's sonar, can tell that a woman in the water with them is pregnant?!?)

However, be aware that there is no holding on to dolphin's dorsal fin ride, or being pushed by dolphin's nose. Hope you know what I'm talking about. :) It was still an awesome feeling to be that close to an amazing creature. Have fun!

Thanks for the input about Jamaica. Did you feel rushed on this excursion? It seems like you do a LOT on that excursion (which is great), but I want to make sure it is still enjoyable and not just rushed. Thanks.

Yeah....we really enjoyed the dolphin swim at Dolphinaris. However, I felt like they asked way to much money for the pictures and video. We didn't get either. I wished they had put us in smaller groups so that you could get more time with the dolphins, but we still had a blast. We did book through the ship and now realize we should have booked on our own. I've her good things about the other site in Cozumel that does the Dolphin swim too, so maybe we'll try that one next time.

We chose the 4x4 jeep ride and dunn's river falls in Jamaica. It was a 6 hour tour and we had a blast. I think that may have been our favorite excursion of all that we took.

It was a perfect honeymoon and now we are trying to decide where we would like to go next and on what ship!

Archived