ANCHORAGE...what to do?

Sumy

My husband and I have 2 full days (9/1-9/2 not yet planned) before we board our cruise. What can we do in/near Anchorage during this time that we shouldn't miss??? I thought about driving to Denali...would this be a good idea?

I would suggest taking the domed rail cars to Denali, stay over night and the take the train back the next day.... We have taken the bus trip into the park, gone white water rafting, had a great time.....

My husband and I have 2 full days (9/1-9/2 not yet planned) before we board our cruise. What can we do in/near Anchorage during this time that we shouldn't miss??? I thought about driving to Denali...would this be a good idea?

You really need 3 days for Denali. Get there one day - take the shuttle in the next day - then drive back the third day. You're looking at about a 6 hour drive and with the 1st being the last day of the State Fair, traffic could be bad.

We have a small but good State Fair, IMO, which is about an hour drive North of Anchorage http://www.alaskastatefair.org/2008/index.html

There is also the http://www.alaskanative.net/

Not sure where you're sailing out of but if it's Whittier you could always go down and take one of the Glacier cruises.

The Tram at Alyeska Resort http://www.alyeskaresort.com/page.asp?intNodeID=10933

A lot depends on what you like to do.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Sorry you do not have enough time for Denali Park, The train is 8 hours, getting you there at 4pm, too late for any shuttle buses, and leaves at noon, too early for any worthwhile transits.

I suggest you go to Seward and not bother with staying in Anchorage. Take the train, with one overnight in Seward, then back the next night, to the ship the next day. I don't recommend Seward as a day trip, ever. :) My top recommendation, is a Kenai Fjords boat tour, loaded with significant varied wildlife and close up glacier viewing, far superior to anything from your ship.

http://www.anchorage.net has plenty to offer as well. IF you consider a rental car, it will open up FAR more touring options to consider.

We will have a rental car, already have it reserved at the airport once we arrive. We also have reservations at a nice bed and breakfast in Anchorage.

I was figuring we could drive down the scenic Seward highway making stops along the way top admire the view and take photos etc. The Frommers Alaska book we have shows all the stops of interest and views along the drive towards Seward from Anchorage. Eventually ending ion the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Then drive back to Anchorage to your B&B.

That should take care of one day but still have another day to kill. I figure sightseeing in anchorage. Maybe checking out the native heritage center. I also hear they have bicycles you can rent and have some nice bike trails etc as well.

Then to get to the cruise ship in Whittier we are going to ride the Alaskan railroad.

Any thoughts or opinions on these potential plans?

David (Sumy's Husband)

We will have a rental car, already have it reserved at the airport once we arrive. We also have reservations at a nice bed and breakfast in Anchorage.

I was figuring we could drive down the scenic Seward highway making stops along the way top admire the view and take photos etc. The Frommers Alaska book we have shows all the stops of interest and views along the drive towards Seward from Anchorage. Eventually ending ion the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Then drive back to Anchorage to your B&B.

That should take care of one day but still have another day to kill. I figure sightseeing in anchorage. Maybe checking out the native heritage center. I also hear they have bicycles you can rent and have some nice bike trails etc as well.

Then to get to the cruise ship in Whittier we are going to ride the Alaskan railroad.

David (Sumy's Husband)

Seward isn't a day trip from Anchorage, I suggest you might want to find out more about Seward and consider your B&B overnight there, not Anchorage. There is plenty to see and do here, that is very worthwhile. MUCH more than just a 6 hour round trip drive. You are definately shortchanging yourself, especially since you are looking for something to do the next day???

A big attraction out of Seward to consider is Kenai Fjords by boat. Absolutely loaded with varied wildlilfe and close up glacier viewing, FAR superior to anything from your cruise ship.

Find out more.

David (Sumy's Husband)

Please can I ask which B&B you have booked into in Anchorage?

Colin

We arrived in ANC at 7:30 pm last night from DFW. Had a rental car today, our only day here, and drove down to Portage Glacier and on to Whittier (don't bother with Whittier unless you must). Then on the way back we went into Girdwood/Aleyeska. It is a beautiful drive and you would probably enjoy it. Be sure to stop off at the turn in Portage area

where you can see salmon spawning upstream. It was great.

Saw several glaciers. The weather was foggy and an misty and at times rainy. Right now, it' s 7:20pm and sunny. Ranged from 55 to 65-70 during the day.

We also went over to the park that surrounds the airport and the sea-plane port. There's also a shipping port and lots of other stuff to see around town. Many, many parks. Anchorage is actually a pretty nice

city and has beautiful surroundings, greenery and flowering plants.

We did not go toward Talkeetna as originally planned because several

people warned of constructions. "We have two seasons, winter and

construction."

Tomorrow we take the train to Seward, and although we've already gone

down that way, I don't regret our tour today.

Carol

We had a day in Anchorage before leaving on Spirit last week and could not find much to do in town so I walked to Avis and got a car and a tour book. Drove the Seward Highway along Turnagain Arm and it was GREAT. -Walk the Boardwalk at Potter's Marsh.

-Took the tram at Alyeska to the top and had lunch up there. Great views of the smaller glaciers. They said the hiking trails there are great, but did not do.

-Went to the Wildlife Center near Girdwood. Well worth the $7.50. Sorta like a zoo, but you can get much closer. Only thing seperating you from a bear is fence you could stick your hand through.

-Watched the Bore Tide come in. Does not sound like much, but to see it in person was neat. We even beat it to the next turnout and watched it come in again. For more info: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/chugach_pages/home/bore.htm

-Saw a pod of 30 or so Beluga Whales at Beluga Point. They were only yards offshore and attracted quite a crowd whom were following them along the road.

Archived