Why can't Princess change/correct my booking?

KaC-Cruiser

Doc arrived and our dining option was listed incorrectly. I called Princess to correct it, as it had been confirmed since our January booking. They checked it, then said we would have to go through our TA to have it corrected. Seems rather odd, that they go to the trouble to verify it's me (and not someone else) but then will not correct the problem. They did give me the information that an agent (not ours) from the Agency we used to book had changed it several weeks ago.

[b]So if Princess has your money, they know it's you their speaking to, why can't they fix things like this? Is it just policy? Or is there some piece of the puzzle I'm missing between Princess & a TA?[/b]

The good new is that after trying to reach my TA numerous times by phone & computer (and being disconnected each time as soon as I voiced my problem) I went back to Princess. After a few rounds of the 'policy' being quoted to me, the rep decided to help - she called the TA directly, got our dining options changed back (but they were waitlisted) so she went to Customer Relations to get that fixed, and we're back on track for our cruise.

I must say, the other thing I learned is read your docs closely ... almost didn't catch the error among all the other stuff listed!

And if anyone has some insight into this policy - I'd love to hear it!!

It's not just a Princess policy, it is the policy of all cruise lines. If you book through a TA, they technically "own" your reservation and any changes must go through the TA. The TA is the one who is supposed to make any changes for you, or correct any errors.

Most cruise lines will verify information directly with the passenger, even if booked through a TA. Most will NOT make any changes, because that is very confusing to a booking made through a TA. Occasionally, they will do the change, but technically they are not supposed to make changes without TA authorization.

If you book through a TA, use them to correct any problems...that is what they are there for. :)

[quote name='Ella2']It's not just a Princess policy, it is the policy of all cruise lines. If you book through a TA, they technically "own" your reservation and any changes must go through the TA. The TA is the one who is supposed to make any changes for you, or correct any errors.

Most cruise lines will verify information directly with the passenger, even if booked through a TA. Most will NOT make any changes, because that is very confusing to a booking made through a TA. Occasionally, they will do the change, but technically they are not supposed to make changes without TA authorization.

If you book through a TA, use them to correct any problems...that is what they are there for. :)[/QUOTE]Well I guess that makes sense under normal circumstances, but it's not fun when you need something taken care of and you're TA won't respond. I'm just thankful that the rep was willing to bend the rules, and contact the TA for me, instead of the other way around. Needless to say, if I can get the dang TA on the phone (without them disconnecting on me!) I'm going to find out why someone I don't know changed my booking without my permission or knowledge ...

[quote name='KaC-Cruiser']Well I guess that makes sense under normal circumstances, but it's not fun when you need something taken care of and you're TA won't respond. I'm just thankful that the rep was willing to bend .[/QUOTE]

This is why I have a great TA - she is very responsive.

All cruise lines do this - if you book through a TA, they must make any changes. Glad it worked out for you.

[quote name='KaC-Cruiser'] They did give me the information that an agent (not ours) from the Agency we used to book had changed it several weeks ago.
[/QUOTE]
Fortunately you found someone who could go to bat for you. I'd be contacting someone in management at that agency and asking for an explanation why your booking was changed without your knowledge.

It does seem odd that they can't change something especially if it is minor. I had called last week with a question and since the beds were wrong on my parents booking I thought I would get them to change it, wrong . . . they said to call my TA and ask him to have the twin beds put together. I'm not going to bother him with that so they can have there cabin steward make the change after they board. Why would that need to go to a TA???

[quote name='Coral']This is why I have a great TA - she is very responsive.
All cruise lines do this - if you book through a TA, they must make any changes. Glad it worked out for you.[/QUOTE] That is exactly why we book directly with Princess ---- have never found a TA that we could reach when we needed or watched and MADE those price reductions. We may pay a percent or two more than others but MUCH less than when we were using TAs and we have total control over our booking. No more stress situations! :)

Archived