Sea Sick Question

StuckinNJ

This is the first time my wife will be on a cruise and she is concerned about being sea sick.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help her out?

We have a JS 10th deck midship.

Thanks

I would recommend bringing Meclizine (Bonine) just in case. They sell it over the counter at Walmart or on drugstore.com.

There are several over the counter remedies, as well as some prescriptions. Here's the basic lowdown on sea sick meds:

Bonine - (generic is called Meclizine). This over the counter medication should be taken before you actually get on the ship (start the day before), and take once a day during the cruise. Be aware that this is a PREVENTATIVE medication. If you wait to take it and start feeling ill, it might not work.

Dramamine - This OTC medication, which could make you a little drowsy, works if you start to feel nauseated.

Ginger Pills/Capsules - These work surprisingly well. Take twice a day during the course of the cruise. It's safe to take these with other meds.

Scopalomine Patch - This is prescription only. Many side effects, such as dizziness and dry mouth, however, lots of people do really well with this.

Compazine - This is prescription only. Take it if you are really feeling nauseated. It'll probably make you quite sleepy, but it's better to sleep it off than be awake and sick.

Also, having a cabin mid-ship should help. The lower the deck you are on, the more stable the ride.

If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask! Good Luck!

Karen

I was very concerned myself not too long ago, because my husband and I were going on our first cruise with our teenaged daughters. As it turned out, it wasn't a problem.

I spoke to our local pharmacist, and he strongly recommended Bonine as well. Recent independent studies have shown that ginger does help with upset stomachs, but up until a few weeks before we cruised, it seemed like everyone said it would not.

We also purchased Sea Bands as well...hey, we wanted to be prepared!!! They are generally around $9.99 in our area, but I looked around and found them for $6.99 in our grocery store. These work by applying pressure in a certain area on your wrist, and are reusable. My older daughter used them one evening that was a bit rough, but she was not feeling sick when she put them on. If any of us had a chance of getting sea sick, it was her. She was fine the whole time.

If you ask your local pharmacist, they will give you suggestions and tell you what the best choices are, and what side effects are possible. I've heard of many people using the patch, but my doctor said no (it requires a prescription) because I have trouble with optical migraines, and the patch sometimes causes vision problems.

im boarding the Enchantment Saturday the 6th, but flying down to ft. lauderdale the 5th. When should I start taking Bonine? I want to drink and stay up late, so when's the best time during the cruise to take it? thanks!

start the NIGHT BEFORE you fly and then take it each night...it IS over the counter, but i wouldn't drink TOO much....i usually take it the 1st night or 2 then stop unless i feel a little weird....

I'm the queen of motion sickness and have tried all the remedies! Sea bands did nothing, Dramamine makes me comatose, and the patch blurred my vision and made my eyes blood red.

To me, the best thing out there w/out many side effects is the meclazine (brand name Bonine) and ginger pills. I take a meclazine tab in the morning, and then one at night. Also might take a half around dinner time if I feel a lot of movement as I am getting dressed. If I think I'm getting a bit sick to my stomach, I take two ginger pills and go outside and look at the horizon.

I've also learned that I only feel queasy if my stomach is empty. Like my first couple cruises, I could guarantee I would feel sick while waiting for dinner to be served. So now I have learned to eat a snack beforehand, and not let my stomach feel empty.

If she takes meds consistantly and eats small meals throughout the day, I bet she'll be just fine!!

That is very thoughtful and prepared, some times that line can be so slow and when you are not feeling well it can seem forever! :eek:

And you should really start taking the medication before you get on the ship for it to work. As for me, I will only take it before a cruise if rough seas are in the forecast.

I guess that I'm lucky that I don't get (knock on wood) seasick.

My DW is a different story. We have cruised enough now that with slight to slight medium motion........she does pretty well. Beyond that, she still .......after 66 cruises........needs a patch, and Bonine!!

If you know that you have motion sickness........as Tony and others have mentioned.........start taking the medicine the night before sailing. That way, it will be in your system..........and your chances of becoming seasick are greatly reduced.

Have a great cruise.

Rick

I got very sick on our first cruise and once you get sick, nothing helps really. I now start taking the Bonine two days before we leave to make sure it's in my system. The box says you can take 1 to 2 pills once a day. I take one pill for the two days prior and then take two pills a day every day I'm on the ship. I take them both in the morning and have not had a problem. I am able to drink at night and have not had any interactions. And best of all NO MORE SEA SICKNESS!

This is the first time my wife will be on a cruise and she is concerned about being sea sick.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help her out?

We have a JS 10th deck midship.

Thanks

We have had great luck with Ginger root tablets from a health store. Of the many home remedies it blew the others away on a Mythbuster's show about sea sick remedies. (There are very few interaction issues, but check with your doctor just in case) No sleepiness issues that can occur with some sea sickness medications.

andy- and taking 2 in the morning on the ship doesn't make you tired at all??

Just guessing, this might be less of a factor for a tall man of good size. It might be more of a problem for petite people.

Bonine works after you get sick too...just takes longer to kick in. On a cruise to Bermuda we had VERY rough seas. I became sick as a dog after I bent over to tie my shoe. After a couple of hours, I was sitting on an outside deck, and had to run to the ladies room. One of the crew was in there cleaning, and after I came out, she told me about the apple trick. Of course, it was the last thing I wanted to hear, but when she told me a lot of the crew was sick too, including her, and they were all issued apples and sent back to work (if they were able) I decided to give it a try. Windjammer was out of apples, (lol) but the maitre d' handed me an apple from the display. I slowly and gingerly ate it...and within a half hour was enjoying a bowl of the WJ rice and curry (of all things!). And...the maitre 'd said it did not have to be a green apple to work. Since then, I have added a bottle of ginger tablets to my packing list, and I wear slide on shoes if the seas are rough. Don't bend over!

Meclizine always works for me and for my very seasick-prone hubby as well. But I bought one of these: Relief Band a few years ago to use "just in case." We've never needed it on a cruise, but my friend borrowed it on our last cruise together and it helped her. And I've used it on an occasion when I... errr... overindulged, shall we say, and it worked!

We were on Explorer to Bermuda during Hurricane Bertha. They were urging everyone (even if you don't get sick) to take pills because they felt we could hit some bumpy spots. You can buy generic Bonine at Walmart at the consultation window at the pharmacy (they do not put the bottles on the shelf). The pills are tiny, 100 in a small bottle and they only cost $5.86. Because of the possibility of rougher seas, we took them every day thereafter at noon and again before dinner. No one had a problem at all. (P.S. I also bought a bottle of 550 mg ginger root at Walmart on the herb/vitamin aisle - 100 pills for $3.85).

This is some really good info. My wife and I are on our way to buy both the Bonine and Ginger pills today!!

I have been through the middle of a tropical storm and rode the fringe of a hurricane before on a cruise ship and I was fine (knock on wood). I am a lil worried about my wife but with these pills she should be fine. :)

Thanks again everyone!!!!!

You people are golden! I'm sailing with my family in a couple months for my first cruise in 30 years! Sailed several times as a kid (from age 5 to 13) and got seasick most times. Dramamine was about the only option in those days, at least as I remember it. Very worried that my 12-year-old will have inherited that particular weakness, and I'd bet my husband will need help, too. So your generous advice is very much appreciated! Really looking forward to our trip1

Another "secret" for those caught with no meds or ginger pills. I dont usually get seasick but on my last cruise I started getting a migraine which immediately sent my stomach into flip flops, I was in the Windjammer with my kids. I felt like if I stood up I would have a very ugly and embarrasing incident-which someone here would have listed as one of their horrifying experiences onboard-LOL. I sent my son to the sushi bar to get me some pickled ginger slices. Within a few minutes I was able to stand and make it to my cabin & my Excederin migraine-with some dignity.

Archived