Is Sept too late for Baltic?

DOJO466

We are trying to make up our minds as to which dates to choose for Baltic cruise 2009. Weatherwise is there a BIG difference. We prefer cooler weather but is there a rainier time? We are looking at June and the last trip Sept 5th. I have looked at weather dot com and will continue to do so. Does anyone have a site where I can get historical info. Those who recently sailed please chime in.

Thanks Lyn just what I was looking for. I know you have posted this numerous times but couldn't find it and became impatient so I thought I would post again knowing I could count on you Deb

Druke:

I know what you mean by crap shoot. Here in New England we get many inquiries as to when the leaves will be at their best this fall.

Thanks both for your replies

Dojo466-

We did the Stockholm to London itinerary in July of '07 and our weather was perfection for touring (about 72 to 75 during the day , but what really made it comfortable was the low humidity......about40%). At night it was cool.....about 68, and you needed a jacket.

Over the whole 14 day cruise (plus 5 days afterward in London), we only had one day of rain (on they day we transited the Kiel Canal). Luckily, we had planned a cocktail party in the room that day, so we stayed warm and dry......well, dry on the outside ;-)

All of the service providers (the crew on the ship, the guides in the ports, and the museum folks) all kept telling us how very lucky we were with the weather. But they did say that July was usually the best weather, and not yet very rainy.

We sailed 7/1 and we disembarked in Dover (for London) on 7/15.

If they would bring back Tilbury as the port for London (instead of the more pedestrian Dover), we'd do that itinerary again! We loved it!

Hope this helped-

Thanks all,

Doing some research it seems Jun has more sun days than sept. but of course one never knows.

Stan/Jim: You were lucky, you also lucked with that special tour of the Hermitage that you told me about onboard the Regatta this winter. I am awaiting a call from TA with my prices and cabin availability, so we'll see what happens. We do so want to go there sooner than later as evryone is saying how much O is raising prices and we are not getting any younger:o Deb

Debbie-

Although you will always be Esme to us (for the cat you never had!)......we completely spaced out about Dojo being your new room name. So sorry!

Yes, we lucked out with our "no rain" cruise, but as we said, it was still cool even in July. We'd worry that it might be too cool and grey in Sept.

We call those last cruises on each itinerary "edge" cruises. They might be marginally cheaper, but the ship is leaving that area of the world for a reason! So, if you take them, you're living on the edge!

For the Hermitage, we used Alla, who knows all the strings to pull because she has been doing it, forever!

http://www.alla-tour.com/

Although we booked more than a year in advance, we did not get Alla herself, but another guide named Julia who was wonderful!

That "special tour" that you were remembering is when Julia got us into the Impressionist Galleries at 8AM before the museum officially opened, and we had the entire place to ourselves for HOURS.......it was magical!

Have a superb cruise- Tell Jimmy we said hi!

Stan/Jim

I have a lot of questions (or will be having them) and was wondering if we would be able to e-mail you? If you are amenable to this please contact us debocon at metrocast dot net. If you are unwilling to do this no problem, as we will understand. I don't know if you can answer this but do you think it better to fly to stockholm and end in dover or vice versa. I hate Heathrow and I have found it was better to get out than stand in customs lines on arrival. D

Debbie-

Maybe it's because we cruised in this direction, but we prefer to start in Stockholm and end the cruise in London.

Heathrow is not nearly as bad as it used to be, but if you really are worried about them......it is better that you have luggage lost on the way HOME rather than on the way TO the ship!

We'll chat again!

Stan & Jim

We also preferred the Stockholm/London route.

Heathrow, while not the most efficient airport in the world, is still preferable to DeGaulle in Paris, which we think is awful.

We did want the Kiel Canal at the end of the trip, as a day to catch up and totally relax after the fairly hectic port-intensive first part of the itinerary.

Plus, if the North Sea was going to be rough (as it is often), we wanted that at the end of the trip, so we wouldn't feel queasy sightseeing.

Here in New England we get many inquiries as to when the leaves will be at their best this fall

Just gimme a date! :D :D

Seriously, how soon will you get an idea when the foliage peaks will be best "when and where"? Have they started broadcasting any information in your local papers or on TV? What are the best places to look to get this information?

(I have found some historical trend information, but I'd like to know how things appear to be shaping up for this year.)

Oceans and rivers

Trees are just starting to turn up North in the White Mts. in NH and far northern VT. From what "they" say the trees are turning earlier than usual but will last longer as we had so much rain this summer. In my area they hit peak around Columbus Day weekend (oct 11-13). Further north in the Mountains usually the last wekend in Sept. As much as I love the beauty of NH I will be heading up to route 100 and rt 4 in central vermont toward the end of Sept/begin Oct. Just toured there by motorcycle this past weekend and the folks up there are saying they are earlier this year and that we expect a "brilliant" year barring no winds from all these hurricanes that may or may not affect us. NH has a very good interactive site for the foliage www.visitnh.gov or just google "nh fall foliage" I hope you will be able to come see this spectacle as it is truly magnificent.

Oceans and rivers

Trees are just starting to turn up North in the White Mts. in NH and far northern VT. From what "they" say the trees are turning earlier than usual but will last longer as we had so much rain this summer.

Uh oh. The absolute first day we can travel is October 1st, and I wanted to use the first few days for something else. We have most of the month of October to see fall foliage, but September is altogether out.

I do want to see bright, lustrous foliage (red and yellow, mostly) with some green in the landscape, too.

I have been to the New Hampshire website, and they sent me a brochure. The brochure seems to be more summer-oriented, from my observation.

Just toured there by motorcycle this past weekend and the folks up there are saying they are earlier this year and that we expect a "brilliant" year

Hey Deb didn't know you were fellow bikers:D

Mike just returned from a trip to Nova Scotia on the bike.

Our trees have not started to turn yet but usually in mid to late Sept they start of course the further north you go the earlier they start

Lyn

e did a NS trip a few years ago, would love to go again. I was born there. As we were "country club casual" on the ship, we left the Harley t-shirts at home. Jim at times is a walking billboard. He's been riding for 44 years, in fact today he went off in shirt and tie to work on the bike. We save a lot of gas money this way.

Lyn

He's been riding for 44 years, in fact today he went off in shirt and tie to work on the bike. We save a lot of gas money this way.

Yes we have been riding since '65

first bike was a '42 Harley 45 with a pillon seat (OUCH):eek:

anyway will not bore the rest on this thread

Deb you have my email

Lyn

We just returned last week from Dover to Stockholm (8/13-27). Embarkation in Dover was changed to Tilbury due to the port of Dover being closed with high wind and seas. We had very little little rain and temps ranging from low 60's to low 70's throughout the trip. The crew stated that it rained everyday on the cruise before ours. In checking weather upon returning, it has been cold and raining in most ports. This week's cruise is the last of the season.

Hope this helps you. We had a great trip and really enjoyed St. Petersburg for 3 days with a private tour.

Jim

Thanks all

Lyn do not have your e-mail as computer went kaput in may.

I had tentatively booked June 01 cruise last Sat and wanted to change to June 29th today and the price went up by 750 p/p for a b1 cabin. So now I am thinking ???June 1st or book at the higher price for jun29. Sept is out as it is even higher than the 29th. I guess when they said get your booking in by August 31st in their e-mails they meant it. I have to pay by 9/6 to keep the lower jun 1 date. Is Jun 1 too early???:confused:

Thanks all

I had tentatively booked June 01 cruise last Sat and wanted to change to June 29th today and the price went up by 750 p/p for a b1 cabin. So now I am thinking ???June 1st or book at the higher price for jun29. Sept is out as it is even higher than the 29th. I guess when they said get your booking in by August 31st in their e-mails they meant it. I have to pay by 9/6 to keep the lower jun 1 date. Is Jun 1 too early???:confused:

we are going May 14th so hope it is ok

I think June 1st will be fine

Deb

I found yours

We did the May 14th as part of a B-B last year and had perfect weather every day, sunny and 70's with exception of the day through the Kiel Canal.

We stayed in Stockholm for an additional week and it was just a perfect. We also did the Baltic in early June about 10 years ago and also had ideal weather.

May and early June seem to be the right time to go for dry beautiful weather. Hope you all enjoy your cruises.:)

Archived