Opinions on US Air

FurKids

What's the route? Who are the other carriers? Does a $100 saving represent a 10% saving or 50% saving? Please provide more info.

Personally as far as I'm concerned I've taken my last flight on US Airways mainline. They are IMO dreadful. In January I flew with them in First Class from RIC-CLT, only an hour flight at best and they served a drink on the ground and that was it. The crew just sat in the front galley and chatted for the flight. I was in the first row aisle seat and leaned out to grab attention and ask for a coffee refill and was ignored, even when waving! Plus the male purser looked like he'd spent the night on the pavement outside the airport. He had a jacket but no tie, unbuttoned shirt and was unshaven. He was just missing the Wild Turkey breath...apart from that, well you have to put up with informercials being piped through the PA system so you can't zone them out without turning your music up to deafening.

Then last September I flew them from SFO-PIT and I went to the First Class check-in desk and after being at the front of the line for 20mins (with one agent just sitting there doing nothing) I was dealt with. I said we were on the 11.55am flight to Pittsburgh and was told there was no 11.55am flight. I went into panic mode and got out my confirmation to find the flight was at 11.50am :rolleyes: I asked if the agent could change my wife's frequent flyer number and the request was just ignored and by the time we realised it was too late.

I'm not one to listen/read/participate in the 'DO NOT FLY XYZ AIRLINES' threads but my experiences with US Airways mainline indicate the only way is down...and the issues outlined above aren't just for those flying in premium cabin.

I'l continue to fly US Airways Express, don't have a problem with them, as they are franchised carriers (Chatauqua, Trans States etc) and my experiences with them are fine. Mainline is a horror show.

What's the route? Who are the other carriers? Does a $100 saving represent a 10% saving or 50% saving? Please provide more info.

Personally as far as I'm concerned I've taken my last flight on US Airways mainline. They are IMO dreadful. In January I flew with them in First Class from RIC-CLT, only an hour flight at best and they served a drink on the ground and that was it. The crew just sat in the front galley and chatted for the flight. I was in the first row aisle seat and leaned out to grab attention and ask for a coffee refill and was ignored, even when waving! Plus the male purser looked like he'd spent the night on the pavement outside the airport. He had a jacket but no tie, unbuttoned shirt and was unshaven. He was just missing the Wild Turkey breath...apart from that, well you have to put up with informercials being piped through the PA system so you can't zone them out without turning your music up to deafening.

Then last September I flew them from SFO-PIT and I went to the First Class check-in desk and after being at the front of the line for 20mins (with one agent just sitting there doing nothing) I was dealt with. I said we were on the 11.55am flight to Pittsburgh and was told there was no 11.55am flight. I went into panic mode and got out my confirmation to find the flight was at 11.50am :rolleyes: I asked if the agent could change my wife's frequent flyer number and the request was just ignored and by the time we realised it was too late.

I'm not one to listen/read/participate in the 'DO NOT FLY XYZ AIRLINES' threads but my experiences with US Airways mainline indicate the only way is down...and the issues outlined above aren't just for those flying in premium cabin.

I'l continue to fly US Airways Express, don't have a problem with them, as they are franchised carriers (Chatauqua, Trans States etc) and my experiences with them are fine. Mainline is a horror show.

If I were responding to this back in January I probably would have agreed with you. I am a frequent flyer and often fly on US Air out of Philadelphia. I have horror stories going back a few years of cancelled flights, misplaced luggage, dirty airplanes, rude and nasty employees....I used to tell everyone I know that they were the worst airline EVER!!!

But then something amazing happened. The suits at US Air actually started to Listen to their customers complaints AND they actually started to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

For the past six months they are #1 in ontime departures and in the top 3 in customer satisfaction. Not that there isn't still room for improvement...they have taken a giant leap in the right direction.

Now, if you want to talk about a crappy airline I nominate Northwest. I've flown them 8 times in the past couple months. I found their planes to be dirty, they lost my luggage twice, only 3 of the 8 flights left the gate on time, and their flight attendants are some of the rudest I've encountered.

I will never fly Northwest again!

They are about $100 cheaper but wondering if it is worth it (flying in October).

They are no better or worse than any other carrier....unless you are connecting somewhere.....

You don't say where you are flying from or if you are connecting anywhere.

To save 100.00 bucks on airfare, I'd fly on the back of a duck....but, would leave at least one day prior to the cruise......and my luggage would be of the carryon variety.

To save 100.00 bucks on airfare' date=' I'd fly on the back of a duck.[/quote']

And there are airlines that I would only fly if someone was putting a gun to my forehead. For those who believe that price is everything, go right ahead and save the $100. Don't ever complain about anything in the future though - you've demonstrated your priorities.

So, to the OP: you have to make up your own mind what is important to you. You don't say anything about routings, aircraft, flight times, connections or so many other pieces to the puzzle. What is important to you? Until you make that first step, how can you, let alone anyone else, evaluate what's worth $100.

If you are saving $100.00, go for it.

I personally would not fly US no matter how cheap the ticket. They have jacked me around repeatedly (especially after the merger). Doug Parker took a perfectly good airline (America West) merged it with a FAILING airline (US AIR) and now both of them have been taken to the bottom of the barrel. In the last 3 years, they have left me stranded at the gate (Reno), lost my luggage 3 out of 4 flights through PHL, and kicked me out of First Class AFTER I paid for the upgrade (LAX/PHX).

I DID have a great experience when US mistakenly sold a bunch of $2.00 tickets. I flew repeatedly from PHX to Watertown, NY and Lebanon, NH, with varying places in between. Most of the flights connected through CLT and the Watertown and Lebanon flights were on small turbo jets.

But other than racking up a whole bunch of US Air miles in a short period of time, meeting some really neat people and seeing a few unusual parts of the country, I have spent the last of my US Air miles and WILL NOT get on a US Air plane, even though it would save me time and money on my monthly trips to NYC from PHX.

last year my luggage was damaged 4 times...(broken foot thing, 3 tears of varying sizes)

US-scare did 3 of them...1 broken foot and 2 HUGE holes....they gave me a 25 buck coupon to fly them in the future...(oh yeah and they lost it once for 24 hours without so much as a toothbrush!)

southwest put a small tear in a bag...gave me a new bag on the spot...and when my bag got wet, and so did the clothes inside they offered to clean them...i said how about 5 bucks for laundry....got THAT on the spot. and when THEY delayed my bag for 6 hours, they gave me a nice toiletry kit with all sorts of stuff in it, and said go spend 50 bucks to get what you need....got THAT back on the spot too!

THEREFORE..short story long....i wouldn't fly them unless it was at LEAST 100 bucks less...not to mention filthy planes and nasty flight crews....

as for improving, i heard that too...and maybe it's true...but for me, no way!

I flew US Air from Barcelona to Philly then on to my eventually destinantion in Santa Barbara once.

The 767 from Barcelona was terrible, the plane was litterally falling apart. The video didn't work, and I had come off a cruise that day and hadn't had a chance to charge up my Ipod and gadgets so I was pretty bored for those 8 something hours. The crew and food was nice, no complaints there.

The flights to PHX and SBA had no problems.

I used to love US Air, especially US Air Express PSA, great service, nice planes, reasonable charges. Now, not so much, they'd have to several hundred dollars cheaper than Air Tran, and especially Southwest Airlines for me to fly US Air. Maybe they're on a turnaround, but not from PIT, not as far as I'm concerned. FWIW, as much as I admire Airbus aircraft from a technical point of view, they suck for passengers, feel like you should be mooing as they corral you in the flying cattle car. JMHO, YMMV.

On February 22nd, I booked a Flight from LAX/PIT; leaving LAX at 8:25 P.M. on December 24th.

Flight is now changed to leave LAX at 10:20 P.M.

Called U. S. Air to see if I could get get on an earlier Flight.

"No Problem" stated the Agent - "Will charge $ 150.00 to change the ticket":eek:

"But", say I " U. S. Air changed the Flight"

"Well" says the Agent " There would not be a charge if U. S. Air changed the Flight by more than two hours".

So, for five minutes, I now have a two hour longer lay-over in LAX.

On February 22nd, I booked a Flight from LAX/PIT; leaving LAX at 8:25 P.M. on December 24th.

Flight is now changed to leave LAX at 10:20 P.M.

Called U. S. Air to see if I could get get on an earlier Flight.

"No Problem" stated the Agent - "Will charge $ 150.00 to change the ticket":eek:

"But", say I " U. S. Air changed the Flight"

"Well" says the Agent " There would not be a charge if U. S. Air changed the Flight by more than two hours".

So, for five minutes, I now have a two hour longer lay-over in LAX.

Call again. Hope you get a competent agent.

FWIW, as much as I admire Airbus aircraft from a technical point of view, they suck for passengers, feel like you should be mooing as they corral you in the flying cattle car. JMHO, YMMV.

:confused: And how is a Boeing aircraft much different to what you describe?

i really like the USAirways shuttle. It is a first class operation, even if you are in coach. I never have luggage with me when I travel for the day so that is never an issue.

It is hard to complain when I think of all of our free flights we have gotten from them and we mostly use their partners (Free flights to New Zealand, Australia, Rome, Montreal, Belize, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Aruba and more).

Airbus single-aisle aircraft (A319, A320, and A321) are actually about 7 inches wider than Boeing's single-aisle (727, 737, 757) aircraft. If the issue is seat pitch (distance front-to-back between same points on two rows of seats), that's a function of the airline's choice of how to configure and outfit their cabin interiors.

Yes, the location of exit doors and windows does impact pitch and configs. But to say that Airbus is inherently a cattle car is factually inaccurate. Perhaps you meant to say that the Airbuses operated by US are configured as a cattle car (31" pitch). However, the 737-400 on US has an even tighter pitch (30"). Pitch statistics are from Seatguru.

As for Metrojet...yes, I remember those red beasts:

metrojb9.jpg

My husband's previous company used US Air for their corporate flights. He's accumulated enough frequent flier points to receive a round trip ticket to Europe so we'll be flying with US Air again in the future.

BUT! We flew US Air from Charlotte to Los Angeles and what a difference after a few years! I felt like I was on a flight from Consumer Infommercial Land! Constant PA announcements for US Air Cards, TV monitors dropping down to play US Air product infommercials, flight crew walking up and down the aisles promoting US Air products and handing out applications.

So was I surprised when I pulled down my lap tray and saw a big corporate ad (another company) embedded onto the tray? I was afraid if I pulled down the window shade there would be a US Air Credit Card ad there too! (Maybe I shouldn't give them anymore ideas) Ahhhh! I'm trapped in Consumer Land and there's no way out! Well, maybe if I had a parachute. Dare I say what would be printed on the canvas as I jump?

I have mixed feelings about this. I recognize airlines are trying to survive. We wouldn't have many of the wonderful programs we do in America without corporate sponsorship with a humanitarian heart. Maybe it's just the constant in your face approach that bothers me the most. US Air has a great in flight magazine with great travel articles. Yes, lots of ads and consumer driven articles. But I can flip through what I like at my leisure.

Most of all, my heart goes out to the flight crew. They have a tremendously hard job already. I've had good service from the crew and appreciate the challenges they have to deal with every day.

I wonder, if we put up with all the informmercials will it gain more business for US Air? Will it help the US Air employees save their jobs or will this in your face informmercial approach just annoy customers enough to make them go elsewhere? I know there are other factors that can annoy customers and make them leave although I was curious about this one.

Lynn

:confused: And how is a Boeing aircraft much different to what you describe?

Airbus single-aisle aircraft (A319, A320, and A321) are actually about 7 inches wider than Boeing's single-aisle (727, 737, 757) aircraft. If the issue is seat pitch (distance front-to-back between same points on two rows of seats), that's a function of the airline's choice of how to configure and outfit their cabin interiors.

Yes, the location of exit doors and windows does impact pitch and configs. But to say that Airbus is inherently a cattle car is factually inaccurate. Perhaps you meant to say that the Airbuses operated by US are configured as a cattle car (31" pitch). However, the 737-400 on US has an even tighter pitch (30"). Pitch statistics are from Seatguru.

As noted at the close of my statement, I wasn't making an attempt at being factual, I was stating my opinion as noted by FWIW, JMHO, YMMV. As has been noted many times in the past, perception is reality, and my perception from all the airlines that I flown on, Boeing aircraft are more comfortable than Airbus, call it butt feel. I was much more comfortable on the two Trident submarines I was a crew member on, but I had the same amount of physical space on the 655, it's a matter of perception.

Just got off a flight tonight that went from Anchorage, AK to Phoenix. A lady wanted to take her cat onboard which she said she paid an extra $100 for this cat to go and she also got a statement from her vet that the cat needed to not ride in the cargo hold which US Air agreed to this up front. When the lady went to check in a worker immediately got a measuring stick out and told her the carrier she had the cat in was to big. (US Air Employee had nasty attitude right from the start) The customer said she flys frequently on different airlines with this cat and they always take it. (it actually would fit in the storage area above the seats but would not fit under the seat. This is the smallest carrier they make. (I have to admit, it was quite small) This cat only weighs 7 lbs. The customer put up a big fuss and then went up to board. She actually boarded and had the cat in place when someone (not a flight attendant) actually came onto the plane and made her get off the airplane.:eek: I thought this was absolutely ridiculous. The reason this upset me and many other passengers is why was she not told how large of a crate the animal could come in. My husband even suggested a covered area up in the front of the plane on the floor where the crate would have been secure and they refused to even hear about it. This was the rudest thing I have ever seen. I feel the woman (US Air Employee) had it in for this lady and went our of her way to make trouble. Many other passengers felt the same way. I will probably never take this airline again and many other passengers said the same thing. I feel bad for airline employess because most of them are hardworking nice folks but what they did to that poor woman was ridiculous. If you are taking a pet I would get in writing what there requirements are. I guess it says 10" which is what this carrier was.

US has some very specific regulations regarding pets on their website. Addressing some of your comments:

First off, US does not allow for transport of pets in the cargo compartment, so I don't know why that was part of the discussion. All pets on US fly in the passenger compartment. The statement from the vet was unnecessary, and it's not like it was needed to get the pet into the passenger compartment.

Next, with the carrier size - US has specific dimensions posted. Just because a carrier worked on another airline has no bearing on US flights. So the agent was completely justified to measure it to assure it met US standards.

Next, about putting it in the overhead bin. This is not allowed, so I am not sure why this would be an acceptable alternative. Same with your comment about a covered area in the front of the plane. The US rules state:

Pets must remain inside their approved container under the seat directly in front of you.

As for why wasn't she told...well, it's all spelled out in black and white on the US website. Easily referenced by anyone bothering to look. Took me under 60 seconds to find it.

From the way you describe it, we have a passenger who didn't bother to research the rules, when told they had violated the rules tried to circumvent them by boarding even after being told it was too big, placed the carrier in the bin where it didn't belong, and then made a fuss whereby other passengers got the wrong impression because they didn't know all the facts.

Sorry to have the facts get in the way of a good story.

What's your opinion on Jet Blue? New changes coming up obviously..please see my earlier post. Do you think that the end is in site once again, for the smaller airlines who turn into bigger ones because of great prices, terrific customer service,convenient schedules?

What's your opinion on Jet Blue? New changes coming up obviously..please see my earlier post. Do you think that the end is in site once again, for the smaller airlines who turn into bigger ones because of great prices, terrific customer service,convenient schedules?

I will never fly JetBlue again after my last experience on them. I was scheduled to fly JFK to MCO on a Sunday evening. I eventually got to MCO a little after 4 am on Monday and I was one of the lucky ones--those whose flights were cancelled were told late Tuesday or Wednesday. It wasn't the delay that convinced me to never fly them again as that can (and does) happen with all airlines. It was the way it was handled (never once was there an apology to any of the passengers for the inconvenience), the very rude employees and the overall lack of caring by the airline. It was very clear to me that all of the press about them making things right in their operation was nothing but a publicity act.

On the other hand, I regularly fly US Airways (best non-stop schedule to the DC Area--and they fly to DCA which is great). Also, I often find their fares competitive or better than others (including Southwest). While, over the years, I have seen some of their employees that weren't the nicest in the world, I've never had a problem with them. In fact, when I had to get home for my father's heart surgery last year they were wonderful! My flight to DCA was cancelled (ice storm in New England affecting the operation--totally understandable) and they got me there in plenty of time. What impressed me most was the agent's caring.

Flyertalk

First of all I did not say she wanted to take the pet out of the carrier. What would it have hurt to store it in a safe area that was not under her seat. It just barely did not fit. Maybe I am wrong but I felt this was still a riduculous situation. Why did they take her $100 if the pet was not allowed to fly. The carrier fit the standards. (It is the smallest carrier they make) I would file a complaint if I was her. I was not the only person on the plane to be upset by this. Many passengers were extremely upset. Believe me, I am not one to complain but gee wiz I feel like they could have worked with this woman and by the way she said she read US Air's Website and that is how she knew the carrier was acceptable. I still feel the US Air employee was just upset because the lady put up a fuss. Which in my opinion the customer was wrong because that is probably the reason they took her off the plane. You wander why the airlines is in such bad shape, part of it is the customer service. I can assure you half the people on that plane will not fly US Air again. It was the talk of the plane, people were outraged. I feel like with all the dangers in flying they would have more to worry about than a 7 LB cat.

The reason I brought this up is to possibly help someone else who is flying with a pet. To tell you the honest truth ,I don't think you should be able to take pets on board the plane where people are because you could have a passenger with allergies. But I do think this woman was treated unfairly. Sorry is you disagree but hopefully this will help someone who is travelling with their pet. Read the website carefully and print a page of it to take with you.

They are about $100 cheaper but wondering if it is worth it (flying in October).

Just completed a roundtrip from west coast to Philly, then on to Venice and then back from Barcelona to Philly and again home.

They were our second choice. Delta was the first, we let our pocket book select the carrier, what a mistake!

The flight from west coast left on time ( a credit to their new record ) In the air the pilot told us that we had no water, but he thought it better to leave on time then take the two hour delay to fix the system. Then the attendants came thru trying to sell us water at two bucks a bottle :eek:. Excuse me, you are on a 5 hour x-country flight, water needs to be served. They weren't very open that they had to give you the same bottled water for free if you asked but boy did they not say anything about it, talk about cheap! The attendants were grumpy and rude too.. Overall that flight sucked big time.

Philly to Venice was an old 767, the plane was in horrible shape. Pealing labels, lots of cracked and lifting plastic. Same rude and indifferent attendants on that flight to. The only bright spot was the nice Philly airport terminal.

Coming home from Barcelona got the same crappy 767. Luckily there were two very nice Spanish attendants. The US ones, were grumpy. You'd think management would figure out service still matters:confused:

From Philly to west coast, same grumpy US attendants.

I don't know what 100 bucks is worth to you, but if I'd have known this was what I'd get. I would have picked Delta thru Atlanta for the 30 hours in the air.

I am one who won't be surprised when US Air goes under, they suck!

Archived