Bringing your own liquids aboard...

delfmen

I am sailing on my first cruse (Carnival Valor Western Caribbean) in October and had a few questions about the amount of liquids you can bring on. We already ordered 8 bottles of liquor through the Bon Voyage department so only need to bring on soda and a bottle of wine or some beer. We have 4 people in our group. My questions would be:

How much soda can we bring on per person? (One 2-liter, Two 2-liters, etc).

The website says you can bring one 750ml bottle of wine / champagne per person. If we bring a liter or a 1.75 liter of wine instead will they care?

Can we bring beer instead of wine aboard? If so, how much per person?

We will carry the wine / beer aboard ourselves but is it best to put the soda in our checked bag or carry it on?

Thanks for the help!

I'd bring regular sized bottles of wine... then there will be no explaining or chance that Carnival confiscates your wine.

Beer you have to sneak on in your checked luggage as bringing beer on is not allowed.

You should be able to bring a 6-pack of soda each.

I'm not sure what they would think if you tried to bring on "Mixers". I'd put those in your checked luggage as well.

Some ships have soda machines... or you can purchase cans of soda for about $1.25 on board.

sounds good to me. i don't need to sneak beer on so i will just buy it on board if i want it.

can i bring a 2-liter bottle of soda insted of a 6 pack? seems easier to pack. there are actually less fluid ounces in a 2-liter bottle then in a 6-pack.

planned on walking on the ship with a bottle of wine and a 2-liter bottle of soda. seems reasonable for a 1 week trip.

We always bring a collapsable cooler with us and purchase soda and water at a store near the port. We load the cooler and take it on the ship with us. Smuggled alcohol always goes in checked luggage:cool: . Buy plastic bottles of booze , wrap in bubble wrap and put in plastic bags. We buy the pint bottles of rum and vodka so we can disperse them around our luggage. The zip lock baggies can be used for shore excursions and wet clothes if needed. Dw usually brings a 12 pack of diet coke, says the stuff on the ship tastes different, and a case of bottled water for on the ship and shore.

We always bring a collapsable cooler with us and purchase soda and water at a store near the port. We load the cooler and take it on the ship with us. Smuggled alcohol always goes in checked luggage:cool: . Buy plastic bottles of booze , wrap in bubble wrap and put in plastic bags. We buy the pint bottles of rum and vodka so we can disperse them around our luggage. The zip lock baggies can be used for shore excursions and wet clothes if needed. Dw usually brings a 12 pack of diet coke, says the stuff on the ship tastes different, and a case of bottled water for on the ship and shore.

The coolers need to be no larger than 12x12x12.

We always stop at a convience store on the way to port and buy 12 packes of cokes and sprite and put it in our carry-on..you do not want it to burst in your checked luggage..we empty our carry-ons in to our checked luggage, we have been checked only once to see if it was beer..You "could" take an empty 12 coke carton and put beer in it and tape the ends closed...Have A Great Cruise..We only take a 6 pack of bottle water and refill them with ship water, it's very good(don"t leave empty bottles laying around in your room- the room stewards will take them)....Dennis

We cruised on the Conquest in Aug 08.

They will allow you to bring 1 bottle of wine per person (21 and over) or 1 bottle of champagne per person.

In our carryon cooler, my husband and I brought 2 bottles of wine, a very tall bottle of mixer for martinis, a 6 pack of 1-liter soda and a corkscrew.

In my packed bag, I had a very large plastic bottle of Vodka.

Our room steward was asked on the first day to keep the cooler filled with ice so we always had cold drinks. We bought some drinks but some days, we made our own martinis or drank wine.

The bottled waters came in very handy although the ship had a pretty decent tasting water and lots of different varieties of juice.

I was patiently waiting for my son's suitcase to arrive because I put the Vodka in there, wrapped in a million plastic bags and even the brown paper bag that it came in.:D

Turned out fine.

I generally take 2 - 750 ml bottles of champange, 1 box Sangria and 1 box White Zinfandel, and a 12 pack of Diet coke without a problem. The champange and wine are packed in the checked luggage and the coke is carried on. I've never had a problem or been told that's too much.

I just recently read an article about boxed wine. The theory is the boxed wine is better because it shuts out the air. I do not drink boxed wine but am interested in trying a good dry red wine.

I just recently read an article about boxed wine. The theory is the boxed wine is better because it shuts out the air. I do not drink boxed wine but am interested in trying a good dry red wine.

I love Sangria, especially in the box. Seems to stay fresher longer and retains it's flavor. Now if I could only find my Lambrusco in a box...

I am flying in the day of and using Carnival's transfer to the ship. I really wanted to bring a small amount of coke and diet coke (I was planning on bringing the small 12 oz. plastic bottles.) Now, the problem. I have never packed soda to fly. I would stop and get it close to Port Canaveral but b/c of the transfer I dont think I can. I would put each bottle in a zip loc but if they explode, they will probably pop the bag too. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

due to the weight of liquids and limitation s on air..i usually stock up on

a few bottles of water, juice or soda near the port..

i would nt go overboard..previously i ended up giving away 6 extra bottles

of juice the night befor debarking..

3 bottles would be sufficient till we reach our first port of call..there id

just load up again..

now..the wife has her own way of getting gin onboard:p

So it is okay to bring your own soda on board? Is this by guess or actually okay?

If so, and the 6pack rule is valid, does it matter if the 6pack is a normal 12oz. size can or can I bring a 6pk. of the 16oz. plastic bottles instead?

RedStilettos - We strap a 12 pack of cans to the top of our carry-on case, in plain view for all to see, and have never been questioned. Never questioned about anything we carry on or pack in our checked luggage. I don't try to hide beer or "hard" alcohol, I don't hide what I do take on board and I've never had a problem. I don't think they are going to squabble about a six pack or two of bottles instead of cans. Just don't try to hide it and you should be ok. "Reasonable" and "common sense" are the key.

To those who want to take beer or a bottle of "Gin" on board; pack it in your checked luggage and hope for the best. If it's something that is "banned" and you try to take it on board and it's confiscated, you knew the rules going in. Compalain all you want but there's no sympathy from this corner. If a few drinks purchased on board is going to break your budget, maybe you should spend your vacation in your backyard.

I hate this rule!! Do you know how hard it is to even find a decent cooler of these dimensions? And then how little you can put in there? 1220.gif

I found the neatest little collapseable cooler at Walmart. It is even on a little cart that you can use for other things and it all folds up small so you could put it in a suitcase. I only paid $7.99 for it. It is located in the sporting goods dept. It will hold 18 cans, 12 bottles of water and I forget the rest. Even the lid opens so you do not have to open the whole thing to get something out. It is so cool.

I second Black Box...the Shiraz or Cab are both very good!!!

Tried some others, not so much....:(

I'd like to know how the OP got to order 8 bottles of liquor from the Bon Voyage Dept. All I see is wine and champagne and a couple of beer packages. Can someone enlighten me? We used to use Wellwishers dot com, but they say they are no longer allowed to bring hard liquor onboard in baskets.

OP, can you direct me to the link that you were able to order Hard Alcohol!

Thanks!

Archived