Permanent Passenger - Anyone read this book??

want2cruiseagain

I didn't really think it was worth buying - I had a gift certificate that I used to buy it. It was an interesting book, but it was a very quick read and the format is a bit all over the place.

If you would like, I can send you my used copy?

I didn't really think it was worth buying - I had a gift certificate that I used to buy it. It was an interesting book, but it was a very quick read and the format is a bit all over the place.

If you would like, I can send you my used copy?

There was a thread about this book awhile back. Comments pretty much the same as yours; however, I would still be interested in reading it. If OP does not want it, I sure do!:)

There was a thread about this book awhile back. Comments pretty much the same as yours; however, I would still be interested in reading it. If OP does not want it, I sure do!:)

That's fine by me...if OP doesn't want it, I'll send it your way. It's been sitting on DH's nightstand, waiting for him to finish the last few pages for over a month. Obviously it wasn't too interesting to him! :p

I would agree. It was an ok read. Most of the information regarding Carnival and activities on the ship seem to be out of date (from what I've read here and asked here on CC).

I would recommended buying a used copy or borrowing one. I would give mine away, but it's an electronic book (Kindle). Let me know if you have a Kindle, I have this downloaded on my computer.

Tammie

I'll take a copy of either one, would like to read both eventually. I think it's a great idea to keep them in circulation and each of us sign them before we pass them on.

Thanks

I'm OK with this. I bought it when the last thread about the book was current....and frankly didn't believe much of what he wrote. I didn't like the book at all.

Who's already getting a copy? and who needs one?

Well, I hate to bail on the OP, but I see there is a lot more interest, so I will send my copy of Permanent Passenger to the first person to email me. carm225 at yahoo dot com

I love the idea of sending it out to someone else too. Feel free to do that with the copy I send you!

I have a copy of Permanent Passenger and a copy of The Captain's Log. I'll send one each to someone if you promise to keep it moving in the Cruise Critic family. We can each sign it and give screen name and location. Anyone?

What a great idea! :)

Guest Crazeecat5

I will certainly send it to the next person.

Who wants to be next? Email first and I will send it to you when I am finished. I am a pretty fast reader so it should be soon.

My email is flfgal@ptd dot net

Sheryl

I know this has already been said, but I'm going to agree that this book is poorly written (Permanent Passenger). The author jumps from subject to subject and tends to repeat himself several times in different chapters (talks about something in chapter one, then repeats the same thing in chapters 3 and 7). He also adds some details that he could have left out (bowel habits in the same oceans that we swim in and what he does with his acne....). It is, however, a quick read if you can stay interested. I'm not sorry I read it......I just don't feel it's an excellent book. Passing it on between people who enjoy cruising and reading is a great idea!

I have also read another book, that's similar in subject, that's a better read with more information. It gives you a different view of how the crew lives/works/dines/socialize/etc. That book is: Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline: Where the Crew Lives, Eats, Wars, and Parties. One Crazy Year Working on Cruise Ships (by Brian David Bruns). It sells on Amazon. If what is written in this book is true, you'll have a better appreciation for the crew when you sail. They really do deserve the tips.

Just thought I'd add my two cents, in case anyone wanted to read another cruise book. :)

Archived